Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Is it Illegal to contact the undergraduate admissions officer at a university you have a conditional offer with to persuade them to change your offer (in my case from "grades ABB" to "320 UCAS points from 3 A levels" incase I get AAC). This is a uni that goes into clearing every year for my course, they're seemingly not heaving with applicants. should I let them know I have an unconditional offer on the table?

ReputationRep:
    It's not illegal. Why would it be?

But it's not going to work.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    It won't work. If the course is in clearing every year, why don't you just wait until your results come out? If they've still got spaces and you were only one grade out they might still consider you. Contact them now and they might just think you're seeking special treatment.

And who knows? You might even get the grades and surprise yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    It won't work. If the course is in clearing every year, why don't you just wait until your results come out? If they've still got spaces and you were only one grade out they might still consider you. Contact them now and they might just think you're seeking special treatment.

And who knows? You might even get the grades and surprise yourself.
    They'll let me in with AAC, I know they're entry flexible, but they only give bursaries to those who've met their offer. My motives are all financial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonnyBeatle)
    They'll let me in with AAC, I know they're entry flexible, but they only give bursaries to those who've met their offer. My motives are all financial.
    They're not like phone or insurance companies that you can bounce the costs of each other and get a lower price.

The Uni probably doesn't particularly care if they get you or not so asking for a lower offer will look badly on your part. They may even still let you in if you drop a grade.

ReputationRep:
    Early on in the process they sent me an Email saying how good my application was :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional offer where?

ReputationRep:
    Somewhere quite good but who won't give me the bursary if I don't firm THEM!! And will give me a much smaller bursary anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Is it Illegal to contact the undergraduate admissions officer at a university you have a conditional offer with to persuade them to change your offer (in my case from "grades ABB" to "320 UCAS points from 3 A levels" incase I get AAC). This is a uni that goes into clearing every year for my course, they're seemingly not having with applicants. should I let them know I have an unconditional offer on the table?
    Nope and it can sometimes work

ReputationRep:
    It's certainly not illegal. It's up to the university to decide who gets in and what requirements there are for each candidate. Sometimes personalised offers can be made - you might have a decent academic history or be providing more of the good subjects for your course.

You could contact the admissions staff and discuss your options. Ask them about what options there are and if you would be accepted onto the course with the grades that you're thinking you might get. Explain why getting the offer now, instead of relying on clearing, is important. See if there is the possibility of them changing their offer and tailoring to what you're studying (give them lots of details of what you're studying and how it might benefit your studies at the university).

Just be nice, be polite and make a good argument for yourself. They want your business (it means a lot of money to them) but they need to be giving out places to the right people.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps working hard to get ABB would be a better choice?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It depends how you're planning to contact them.

If they're at home, it's 2am, and you have a rifle then yeah, it's illegal.

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    Ah right. So, why do you think it should be a lower offer for you over anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    It depends how you're planning to contact them.

If they're at home, it's 2am, and you have a rifle then yeah, it's illegal.

Sent from my GT-S5363
    Oh wow I'd rep you but I'm using my phone.

ReputationRep:
    Is it Illegal to contact the undergraduate admissions officer at a university you have a conditional offer with to persuade them to change your offer (in my case from "grades ABB" to "320 UCAS points from 3 A levels" incase I get AAC). This is a uni that goes into clearing every year for my course, they're seemingly not having with applicants. should I let them know I have an unconditional offer on the table?
    LMAO

ReputationRep:
    It might come as an enormous surprise to you but no University is currently holding secret meetings about they can get *you*, and only you, into their University.

So it might be wise to stop thinking you are so marvelous that they will instantly make you a lower offer - and get on with some revision.

ReputationRep:
    I've firmed the unconditional anyway now - It's Essex's loss and Aberystwyth's gain.

ReputationRep:
    I've firmed the unconditional anyway now - It's Essex's loss and Aberystwyth's gain.
    No, it's not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrnicholls)
    No, it's not.

Why? They've just lost 27 grand in fees. I still might get AAB but it would have seemed unreasonable for them not to have given me a bursary with 69.9% UMS marks in my 3rd subject and over 95% in my other two.

ReputationRep:
    Why? They've just lost 27 grand in fees. I still might get AAB but it would have been unreasonable for them not to have given me a bursary with 69.9% UMS marks in my 3rd subject.
    That's a bit like saying it would have been unreasonable to give a gold medal to someone who only came 0.1% of a second behind the winner. If you don't get it, you don't get it, gutted. Enjoy Aberystwyth xx

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.