Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Public Sector workers Pay Freeze continues Watch

ReputationRep:
    As the title says, Public Sector workers Pay Freeze to effectively continue - or an alternative way to look at it - capped at 1% means it is effectively a reduction as this is in no way keeping up with inflation.

This government promised a 1 year pay freeze before they came to power and now it has been renewed every year annually since they took office. Talk about broken promises.

Disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    Public sector workers get many privileges those who work in the productive sector do not get.

I hope it gets worse for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barksy)
    Public sector workers get many privileges those who work in the productive sector do not get.

That is not the fault of the public sector workers.

That is the fault of the private sector workers not fighting for those privileges and standing up for their rights.

Private sector bosses get away with far too much, but that is only because the workers won't take a stand against them.

ReputationRep:
    Can we just point out that unionised pay bargaining is possible in the private sector here by looking at staff at Go North East who when they threatened three days off industrial action where offered a better pay deal. Rather than allowing the fact the public sector are getting some rights not afforded to private sector members to turn the two against each other, both should look at ways of improving their own pay and conditions.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21782155

ReputationRep:
    Public sector workers do less to stimulate the economy and so should be the first to be hit with cuts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barksy)

Like what? A pension? Hardly huge unless you're a chief exec. I do agree though that private sector pensions are in a bad state. Does this mean that everyone should be dragged down? A race to the bottom?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Public sector workers do less to stimulate the economy and so should be the first to be hit with cuts.
    Try running an economy without us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    Try running an economy without us.
    I didn't say get rid of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    I didn't say get rid of them.
    So why should we be hit with cuts? Its not nurses that caused the financial crisis.

ReputationRep:
    So why should we be hit with cuts?
    Because public sector workers are economic consumers, whereas private sector workers are economic producers.

Its not nurses that caused the financial crisis.
    Very true, however neither did 99.9% of private sector workers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Because public sector workers are economic consumers, whereas private sector workers are economic producers.
    What a meaningless statement. As I said, try running an economy without us.

(Original post by tjf8)
    Very true, however neither did 99.9% of private sector workers.
    So what conclusion does that lead you to? Divide and rule? Or solidarity?

ReputationRep:
    What a meaningless statement. As I said, try running an economy without us.
    And as I said, I'm not suggesting we try.

So what conclusion does that lead you to? Divide and rule? Or solidarity?
    My conclusion is that just because nurses didn't cause the banking crisis, doesn't mean they shouldn't face cuts. Everyone should face cuts of some form, public or private sector.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    And as I said, I'm not suggesting we try.
    So what does "Because public sector workers are economic consumers, whereas private sector workers are economic producers." mean? You've already acknowledged that the private sector couldn't exist without the public.

(Original post by tjf8)
    My conclusion is that just because nurses didn't cause the banking crisis, doesn't mean they shouldn't face cuts. Everyone should face cuts of some form, public or private sector.
    Why should we all face cuts?

ReputationRep:
    Why should we all face cuts?
    Cos 'we're all in this together'?

Problem is we're not, as is blindingly obvious by now.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.