Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in applying to the RAF as a personnel support but I am not entirely knowledgable regarding how the pay structure works. I am of course not joining for the money but if am to sign up for six years I would like to know when I could expect my wages to increase since I have a student loan to pay off. The starting pay after r training is roughly 17,000 p/a as far as I am aware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILowdon)
    I am interested in applying to the RAF as a personnel support but I am not entirely knowledgable regarding how the pay structure works. I am of course not joining for the money but if am to sign up for six years I would like to know when I could expect my wages to increase since I have a student loan to pay off. The starting pay after r training is roughly 17,000 p/a as far as I am aware.

The basic answer is can be found in this years Armed Forces Pay Review Body report. For a basic entrant it'll be £14,349 (I assume just for phase 1 training), but rises once you're an LAC/SAC to the scale below. Obviously you start at level 1, and each level increment is equal to one year. As you can see, you get a decent increment each year, so although the Forces are affected by the limits on public sector pay increases, you will get an increment each year:

(Pay rates as of 1 Apr 2013 - left figure is low rate, right figure is higher rate - sorry, not an expert on "Other Ranks" pay, so I don't know what qualifies you for either)
    Level 9 24,580 29,357
    Level 8 23,720 27,991
    Level 7 22,682 26,786
    Level 6 21,751 25,610
    Level 5 21,386 24,422
    Level 4 20,318 22,088
    Level 3 18,723 21,049
    Level 2 18,245 19,113
    Level 1 17,767 17,767

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fritz Bollinger)
    The basic answer is can be found in this years Armed Forces Pay Review Body report. For a basic entrant it'll be £14,349 (I assume just for phase 1 training), but rises once you're an LAC/SAC to the scale below. Obviously you start at level 1, and each level increment is equal to one year. As you can see, you get a decent increment each year, so although the Forces are affected by the limits on public sector pay increases, you will get an increment each year:

(Pay rates as of 1 Apr 2013 - left figure is low rate, right figure is higher rate - sorry, not an expert on "Other Ranks" pay, so I don't know what qualifies you for either)
    Level 9 24,580 29,357
    Level 8 23,720 27,991
    Level 7 22,682 26,786
    Level 6 21,751 25,610
    Level 5 21,386 24,422
    Level 4 20,318 22,088
    Level 3 18,723 21,049
    Level 2 18,245 19,113
    Level 1 17,767 17,767
    Pers support is a 'List 2' trade, so falls into the lower pay band above. I'd advise anyone joining the RAF to go for a 'List 1' trade (high pay band) if possible. Examples are the technical trades & Int. At the end of the day it is almost £5k a year difference at the top end which will be a few hundred quid per month in your back pocket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILowdon)

Commissioned or other ranks? It makes quite a difference in pay levels.

If you are going in as an officer then the starting wage is around 24,800 pa.

ReputationRep:
    Pers Spt, from the rank of corporal to warrant officer, is actually in the HIGHER pay band.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RAF-Recruiter)
    Pers Spt, from the rank of corporal to warrant officer, is actually in the HIGHER pay band.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you seen the promotion figures for SAC - Cpl? Bleak sums it up.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.