Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelyphron)
    Cheers dude. Could I ask you (or any other chem students) to take a look at question 5 on this past paper from June 2008:

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...e_20080521.pdf

Part (a) I'm fine with of course, it's just diffusion, but I'm wondering whether part (b) is relevant to our specification.

Many thanks.
    Yeah, exactly what Paras said the complex ion formed is in the old 2005 specification and is irrelevant to the latest specification.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone who knows how to make a poll for the anthologies for english lang. A, make one like they did for last year??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darsan9)
    just wondering all the people doing the pople doing the may papers for the folowing subjects.we could make a group on it
    -maths
    -english
    -french
    -chemistry
    -biology
    -physics
    -futhur pure mathematics
    -ICT

PM me if you wanna join the group and discuss about the papers.

pls note that even these will be moderated by the student rooms (if im not mistaken)
    and will only be discussing the most probable questions
    (and other things...)
    I would be grateful if you add me to this group because i take all of them except french, further pure mathematics and biology .!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skizzle)
    This is an ICT question, not sure which paper it's from but here it is:

The fingerprint scanner may be bypassed so that a user can log on using the keyboard. Give two reasons why this facility needed?

I was thinking one reason would be so that if the scanner were to malfunction you would need to be able to log on using the keyboard.
    Not sure what the second reason would be:/

Thanks.

one of the reason can be that if there is a cut on the finger due to injury so the user needs a keyboard to gain access, and the second one can be if the user is using the system first time so he has to first gain access using the keyboard and then save his fingerprints.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parasagarwal01)
    Sometimes biometric scanners I.e fingerprint scanners might not be able to recognize the fingerprint maybe because other people have used it as well yeah so it's like having fingerprints all over the scanner so it may become hard for the scanner to recognize the print so a keyboard would be needed.

Well that's what I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright thanks, that sounds about right!
    When I get back to school I'll ask the teacher to see if he has any other options as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm slightly confused with this whole electromagnet thing. It says in the book that wrapping a solenoid around a magnetically soft core will make it an electromagnet. I don't get why that is...if anyone does please help.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skizzle)
    I'm slightly confused with this whole electromagnet thing. It says in the book that wrapping a solenoid around a magnetically soft core will make it an electromagnet. I don't get why that is...if anyone does please help.
    Thanks!
    You see for making an electromagnet the combination of the solenoid and the soft iron core makes and electromagnet, it is because iron is the perfect material to use for an electromagnet as when current flows the solenoid it gets magnetised easily and when current doesnt it gets de-magnetised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruks)
    Hi, i am doing these subjects, so yeah add me.
    Hey i'm doing these! Can i join?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya guys, can i join? I'm doing these subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky_Fisher)
    Hiya guys, can i join? I'm doing these subjects
    Yeah there's no actual group started yet by the guy that started this thread so just post any questions regarding the subjects here and someone will answer them. Plus it's good revision :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    can anyone tell me weather the revision guide is more helpful or the student book, which one of them i should study for the examination.
    :confused:
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone who knows how to make a poll for the anthologies for english lang. A, make one like they did for last year??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    there you go
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll...poll&t=2324366

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the link however it's broken.. I am checking it out on google and will make one soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassan54890)
    hi,
    can anyone tell me weather the revision guide is more helpful or the student book, which one of them i should study for the examination.
    Thanks.
    You need both but first learn everything in the student book required for our specification then use the revision guide. Note that the revision guide doesn't have detailed info on the various experiments and suggested practicals that you ought to know so student book is required. Revision guide is mainly a summary of each chapter with main points but it's really helpful as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You need both but first learn everything in the student book required for our specification then use the revision guide. Note that the revision guide doesn't have detailed info on the various experiments and suggested practicals that you ought to know so student book is required. Revision guide is mainly a summary of each chapter with main points but it's really helpful as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The Revision Guide is amazing, it has exactly what you need to know. Direct from the specification, the Student book is good, but has lot of unnecessary information. But revision guides are only for sciences yeah? The Chem revision guide is the best, if you revise that you can do well easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassan54890)
    hi,
    Thanks.
    Like parasagarwal01 said I think it would be best to know the full content using the actual book, and look through your specification making sure you understand the gist of the topics, when you do I'd suggest using the revision guides. I find them really useful and if you're stuck on something the revision guides are very simple and don't have any extra information that you may not need.

ReputationRep:
    Regarding physics - why can't gamma radiation be used in thickness control? I understand that alpha radiation would be stopped by the foil and therefore not reach the detector, but what problem does gamma present? I'm assuming there's sufficient protection for the workers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelyphron)
    Regarding physics - why can't gamma radiation be used in thickness control? I understand that alpha radiation would be stopped by the foil and therefore not reach the detector, but what problem does gamma present? I'm assuming there's sufficient protection for the workers.
    So..I am assuming that u know properties of gamma rays. We are aware of its greatest penetration power compared to beta or alpha. Therefore these gamma rays pass straight through the sheet as they are only and only stopped by thick lead hence the rays are not absorbed so there is no change in thickness detected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yaww everybody I have really good news. I have successfully managed to create the poll. The link is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2328158
    This is regarding the likeliest anthologies you think may come up for English Language A. Paper 1.

Please think properly and vote (no offense)

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can I be added please....

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.