Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to go to Cardiff in September for my degree, but am very reluctant to live in halls for various reasons, including the possibility of moving with someone who isn't a student.
    I'm happy to live in a shared house or share a flat with someone, but when I went to the open day yesterday the only advice given was on uni-run accommodation. Does anyone know where I should start looking? I'm happy to live with either gender and pretty open minded to different kinds of people. But I don't want to live in a 18-y/o party house on account of not wanting to bugger up my degree (I'm fairly easily distracted), and it'd be nice to have the option to maybe include someone who isn't a student in the living arrangements...
    Am I asking for the moon? I feel like I might be...

ReputationRep:
    Hey girls, i feel the exact same way! Im hoping to study law at Cardiff in September and have always had it in mind that i would stay in private accomodation but its proving quite difficult!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaiteyDave)
    I'm hoping to go to Cardiff in September for my degree, but am very reluctant to live in halls for various reasons, including the possibility of moving with someone who isn't a student.
    I'm happy to live in a shared house or share a flat with someone, but when I went to the open day yesterday the only advice given was on uni-run accommodation. Does anyone know where I should start looking? I'm happy to live with either gender and pretty open minded to different kinds of people. But I don't want to live in a 18-y/o party house on account of not wanting to bugger up my degree (I'm fairly easily distracted), and it'd be nice to have the option to maybe include someone who isn't a student in the living arrangements...
    There are lots of student housing options available around the Cathays area which is right next to all the main buildings. It might be worth booking some house viewings and coming down to look if you are moving in with someone. Also I'll say this as someone who's gone out at least twice a week since starting university, it's very hard to 'bugger your degree up' in first year. Especially since on most courses they don't even count towards your degree level until second year. Sure buckle-down and study but believe me letting your hair down and loosening up is a part of the university experience not to be missed , especially for a first year. If you don't end up moving with said other person I'd suggest putting down Student Houses or Aberconway Hall. I live in Student Houses and the house I live in is very quiet overall - though some are more lively. My experiences at Aberconway Hall also suggest it's one of the more 'quiet' halls. Though Houses are overall much easier to study in, along with bigger bedrooms.

@Everyone else. If you haven't tried for accommodation with the Uni yet I'd suggest doing so. Most people live in private accommodation with people they met in their housing first year. It's also much more fun :P. Failing that I've spoken to people living in http://cardiff.victoriahall.com/ and they've all had positive experiences and those halls are fairly close to the main campus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kitty16)
    Hey there! Have you firmed your offer yet? I want to get to know some law students before going to Cardiff.

Does anyone know which university accommodation is closer to Cardiff law school?
    I am sorry to be asking so many questions. I am an international student and it's rather hard to be stepping on unknown grounds.. :/
    In order of closeness to Law school:
    -Aberdare Hall (all girls halls, 2 minutes)
    -Student Houses (villiage) (3-6 minutes)
    -Student Houses (Colum Rd.) (2-8 minutes) HOME <3
    -Aberconway Hall (7 minutes)
    -Colum Hall (7 minutes)
    -Sengenhydd and Sengenythh Halls/Court - not even going to attempt to spell this :P (10 minutes)
    -Talybont South (23 minutes)
    -Talybont Court (25 minutes)
    -Talybont North (27 minutes)

All times are obviously approximate but they're about right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-h)
    There are lots of student housing options available around the Cathays area which is right next to all the main buildings. It might be worth booking some house viewings and coming down to look if you are moving in with someone. Also I'll say this as someone who's gone out at least twice a week since starting university, it's very hard to 'bugger your degree up' in first year. Especially since on most courses they don't even count towards your degree level until second year. Sure buckle-down and study but believe me letting your hair down and loosening up is a part of the university experience not to be missed , especially for a first year. If you don't end up moving with said other person I'd suggest putting down Student Houses or Aberconway Hall. I live in Student Houses and the house I live in is very quiet overall - though some are more lively. My experiences at Aberconway Hall also suggest it's one of the more 'quiet' halls. Though Houses are overall much easier to study in, along with bigger bedrooms.

@Everyone else. If you haven't tried for accommodation with the Uni yet I'd suggest doing so. Most people live in private accommodation with people they met in their housing first year. It's also much more fun :P. Failing that I've spoken to people living in http://cardiff.victoriahall.com/ and they've all had positive experiences and those halls are fairly close to the main campus.
    Thanks for your advice it was really helpful i definately want to experience the university life haha and from what ive heard from other people i think living in student accomodation will allow me to meet people and become part of the cardiff uni more! Ive been looking at Victoria Hall, i think that is probably my favourite, plus it has the benefit of a double bed if you apply for the deluxe room which is definately a bonus :P Whats your opinion/experience of the Talybont accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kitty16)
    Hey there! Have you firmed your offer yet? I want to get to know some law students before going to Cardiff.

Does anyone know which university accommodation is closer to Cardiff law school?
    I am sorry to be asking so many questions. I am an international student and it's rather hard to be stepping on unknown grounds.. :/
    Hey, yeah i firmed my offer last night so just got to get the grades now! Where abouts are you from?

ReputationRep:
    Hayo,

I'm dropping out of Uni at cardiff and my room's available for this year 2013/2014. It would be perfect for anyone who doesn't want to live in a party house but still wants to live in a friendly sociable environment, where you might eat the odd meal with each other that sort of thing.

As the other housemates would be 5th year dentists and a a physio, who want to be social and explore cardiff but also need a good environment to work in.

The house is in roath, it's bustling with students so not far to go to meet people, and it's about 20min walk to the union. Rents 280pm + bills, the lease starts from july, but i'm happy to pay rent over summer as I imagine if you're first year, you wont want to move until sept

PM me if you have any questions/ are interested

cheers

Lisa

ReputationRep:
    Hayo,

I'm dropping out of Uni at cardiff and my room's available for this year 2013/2014. It would be perfect for anyone who doesn't want to live in a party house but still wants to live in a friendly sociable environment, where you might eat the odd meal with each other that sort of thing.

As the other housemates would be 5th year dentists and a a physio, who want to be social and explore cardiff but also need a good environment to work in.

The house is in roath, it's bustling with students so not far to go to meet people, and it's about 20min walk to the union. Rents 280pm + bills, the lease starts from july, but i'm happy to pay rent over summer as I imagine if you're first year, you wont want to move until sept

PM me if you have any questions/ are interested

cheers

Lisa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-h)
    In order of closeness to Law school:
    -Aberdare Hall (all girls halls, 2 minutes)
    -Student Houses (villiage) (3-6 minutes)
    -Student Houses (Colum Rd.) (2-8 minutes) HOME <3
    -Aberconway Hall (7 minutes)
    -Colum Hall (7 minutes)
    -Sengenhydd and Sengenythh Halls/Court - not even going to attempt to spell this :P (10 minutes)
    -Talybont South (23 minutes)
    -Talybont Court (25 minutes)
    -Talybont North (27 minutes)

All times are obviously approximate but they're about right.
    Seghennydd.

It's not that hard :unimpressed: Although I do live near thr actual village so

ReputationRep:
    I'm also looking for private accommodation This is my second time at University and I don't particularly want to relive first year dorm life again. Anyone willing to discuss sharing a place or know of a place with a room let me know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redd9)
    I'm also looking for private accommodation This is my second time at University and I don't particularly want to relive first year dorm life again. Anyone willing to discuss sharing a place or know of a place with a room let me know.
    Do you still need a room? Im a student at Cardiff living in,Halls at the moment but Ive seen a few advertised on facebook, from people dropping out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redd9)
    Redd

Another option for you might be to look at the two bed apartments at Summit House - they are new for this year with all bills included and you get a private kitchen and lounge with TV as well as your own ensuite bathroom and double bed, in the town centre off Queen Street, in Windsor Place.

The site is ideal for continuing students and postgrads as it is only for 87 people and has things like a private gym, cinema room, study rooms, etc., too.

Would suggest you drop in and see the accommodation to find out if you like it.

Good luck with your search!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaiteyDave)
    Kaitey

If you want a quiet place where you can still access town when you want to, and mix with people when you feel like it at your halls or house, I would suggest you go and see the studios and two bedroom apartments at Summit House.

The apartments are very special, all ensuite with flat screen TV's, double beds and there are communal areas too like a gym, cinema room, common room, and study rooms too which are great when you want a break from your room or to do some group-work.

It is probably worth you arranging to visit the site, and others, to see what suits you best. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Which student accomodation is close to Welsh School of Architecture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by villy95)
    Which student accomodation is close to Welsh School of Architecture?
    This School is located in the Bute Building, number 45 on this map: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/locations/maps/index.html

the blue buildings are all university halls, and if you scroll north and west you'll find a few more close by. It's not too far from the Law School (building number 28 on that map) so the walking times J-h posted above hold about true.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by villy95)
    Thanks!
    Should just mention that there's more details about university halls on this page:

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/prospec...graduates.html

At least in the past, the residences team had a list of private accommodation as well. They don't mention that on their pages any more though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redd9)
    Hi are you still looking for flat mates? If interested feel free to pm message me

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.