Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Birth order and relationships Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm the eldest and have had 2 long term relationships (4 yrs and 3 years still going). I'm 21. My younger sister (18) has been in her relationship for 3 years this summer.

My brother is 6, he likes Chloe and Katie B in his class because they play cars with him and he shares his crisps with Anna. Katie S however, likes him because he got her a my little pony for her birthday. These were his own words when i asked him if he had a girlfriend. The kid's a player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarieCat)
    Only child. Every single one of my boyfriends has been an only child or eldest sibling. My most successful (and current) relationship is with an eldest sibling. Funnily enough, an overwhelming majority of my friends are only children or eldest siblings too. I can only think of three close friends across the course of my life (out of maybe 30-ish total close friends) who have older siblings. This isn't intentional and I have no idea what it means or why it happened, but there you go.
    That doesn't bode well for me with an elder sis and wanting a girl who's only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    It's only child/only child relationships that have the highest divorce rate apparently.
    My parents are both only children and have been happily married for 25 years next Christmas!

ReputationRep:
    me: first born with one younger brother
    my boyfriend: identical twin, but with one older sister

ReputationRep:
    Me and my boyfriend are both middle children. Been together 4.5 years.

ReputationRep:
    im first born he's youngest

me: first born only child
    him: third born, two elder brothers

been going out 2 years and everything is greeeat every though we are long distance now

ReputationRep:
    Birth order, not age.
    Would have thought that from age, birth order was obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Me - eldest of two girls
    Him - youngest of two boys

Good mix?

My previous boyfriends were both only children, and that ended badly.

ReputationRep:
    Currently: I was first born (female) and as is my fiancé (male).I have a younger sister and he has a younger brother. We have been together for 4 years (and 2 months :P)
    6th was 1st born, failed after 3 months, joke of a relationship to be honest, he had a younger sister.
    5th relationship he was the 2nd born (youngest), failed after about 5 months, ended bad but we were still friends, he had an older brother.
    4th "relationship" he was 2nd born (youngest), nothing serious, failed after about 1-2 months, he had an older sister.
    3rd relationship he was first born, failed after 8-10 months (we kinda kept seeing each other on and off after 8 months), ended... crazily... :|, he had a younger brother and a younger sister.
    2nd relationship he was 2nd born (youngest), failed after 6 months, he had an older brother.
    First "relationship" he was an only child, failed after (he cheated on me) about 4 months or so.

So in terms of my experience what you read is not applicable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skyelight)
    Would have thought that from age, birth order was obvious.
    Birth order means the number of siblings which were born before you, and before your boyfriend (so not really guessable from ages alone).

In my case I've been brought up as an only child, and my previous relationships have been... last born, only, '2nd born' (but as if eldest sib), 2nd born and 1st born.

Not much success.

ReputationRep:
    1st: both only children, failed after a few months.
    2nd: he was last born, failed after a year and a half.

ReputationRep:
    1st relationship: I was first born and he was an only child; really didn't work - it was awful.
    Current: Both first born, going strong after 2 years !

ReputationRep:
    I'm 2/2 (older brother)
    My bfs have been:
    2/4 (only boy) - ended okay after 1.5yrs
    2/3 (all boys) - ended emotionally after 2 years
    1/3 (only boy) - ongoing, plan to marry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Me : oldest child with younger brother
    Him : youngest child with older sister.

His mum is also a twin and my dad is a twin. We have loads of stuff that we mirror :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What about other relationships, I'm looking for all that people have had so I can get an idea.
    Okay, though seems a little flawed in that by definition every previous relationship was a failure up until the most recent one.

I'm the oldest of two (younger sister):

1) He the youngest (older sister), relationship lasted 3 years. Ended because - grew apart when I went to university. Plus he was a lying toe-rag but for some reason I forgave that for quite a while.
    2) He the youngest (two older sisters), relationship lasted 5.5 years. Nice guy. Ended because - we just weren't sufficiently right to justify marriage.
    3) He the oldest (one younger brother), relationship lasted 2 years. Nice guy. Ended because - I moved to a different country. Still friends.
    4) He the oldest (one younger sister), relationship ongoing (10 years). Nice guy.

See boys, I'm living proof that girls DO like nice guys.

ReputationRep:
    This is so funny! My coworker and I were just talking about this today at work! He said the best pairs are: middle child with middle child, and first born with the youngest born.

First relationship: I'm first born and he's the youngest. Were together for a year and then on and off for a couple of more months after 2 years when we got back together. too immature.

Guy I'm currently talking to is the youngest as well. Going well right now.

ReputationRep:
    Me (boyfriend) 23, first born (of two).
    Girlfriend 20, second born (of three)

ReputationRep:
    Both second born, both have one older sibling who is 7 years older (his a sister, mine a brother)

Both second born.

That's interesting anyway.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.