Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Sleeping in train stations.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    What railway station are you thinking of?

If it's Castle Cary for Glastonbury, I probably wouldn't and as others have said, wrap up warm in stations in the middle of nowhere. As for suburban stations, the police may move you. Large stations which are 24 hours will probably have British Transport Police too who may not be sympathetic to your plight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LincolnHawk)
    Just out of interest, what festival is it that you're going to? I know that certain pubs by Download Festival allow people to pitch up in their gardens during the festival. I would be surprised if pubs in other areas that have major festivals didn't do the same.
    It's called Gentlemen of the Road. Relatively small festival in a relatively small town. I assume the train station (Lewes) is a small, unmanned one. But I've never been so I could be wrong :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    Plan ahead. Many train stations close for the night.

I hesitate to admit I have once voluntarily spent the night on the streets of a large city, for much the same reasons, and I really wouldn't recommend falling asleep unless you can find somwhere like a toilet that you can lock (though these are frequently used by drug addicts, so I wouldn't recommend that either). You will be very tired for your festival (unless it's the night after?)

If you do choose to do it, the main things to note are;

1. It can be VERY cold. It's not something you realise before you try it, but take LOTS of clothes.
    2. Be sensible - don't, for example, wear really expensive trainers and flash your watch around.
    3. Take something to do if you intend to stay awake. The hours between 2am and 6am are the hardest, and most uncomfortable.
    4. I'm not pretty, and I'm nearly 6ft tall. If you are pretty, skinny and 5ft6 you may want to reconsider, or at least make an effor to disguise that fact (baggy clothes, no make-up). It seems a bit OTT, but there are rapists and weirdos out there and you don't want to take chances.

A better option would be to find a 24 hour McDonalds - I eventually managed to trick my way into a marina shower block, which was fantastic. Another option is an overnight coach / train so you can sleep whilst travelling. If there isn't one and you still really want to do it, then just make sure you know exactly where to go in advance
    I know it's a bit of a late reply (internet's been down) but thanks so much for your reply. Definitely going to try find an alternative but if it's my only option, I'll definitely plan ahead with your suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrFlash1994)
    Yea if you're on your own I wouldn't recommend going for the train station, but it is possible as long as you don't look like you're actually going to sleep. 24 Hour McDonalds, night bus, random field? Or you could try paying someone with a back yard to camp there for the festival, I've seen that being done before.
    Thanks for your reply! Tempted to try the 'back yard' idea. ...not sure how to go about it though. :dontknow: I can only think of going there a few weeks before and door-knocking in the neighborhood until someone agrees..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr-member)
    Thanks for your reply! Tempted to try the 'back yard' idea. ...not sure how to go about it though. :dontknow: I can only think of going there a few weeks before and door-knocking in the neighborhood until someone agrees..
    If you're going to try you should try and organise something earlier. I think if you're quite open about it and be as friendly as possible I'm sure someone will let you stay, especially if you're willing to pay them. Just say that you'll bring all your own supplies and will only need to enter the house for the toilet or something. You may even want to bring a parent along when you ask around just to make yourself seem more trustworthy.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.