Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Michael Gove wants to remove climate change from the curriculum Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super Cicero)
    It should be taught, but so should the counter-arguments be. Global temperatures rose and fell long before industrialisation took place.
    The current surge in CO2 levels is faster than anything in the historical data and is also out of synch with the usual natural cycles.

Similarly, evolution should be taught but so should Intelligent Design. Even staunch atheist Richard Dawkins admits there is evidence for design in nature.
    Do you think just because someone labels a video with that caption, that makes it true? He doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    It never ceases to astonish me how stupid Michael Gove can be.

However, I would like to ask for an original source to Gove stating that Climate Change should be removed from the curriculum, since the petition only states that he has said it without referring to what exactly was said.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...nal-curriculum

Here is a source.

ReputationRep:
    It should be taught, but so should the counter-arguments be. Global temperatures rose and fell long before industrialisation took place.
    No one is denying that natural climate change doesn't exist, but the effect that humans have had is observable and pretty harmful to say the least.

Similarly, evolution should be taught but so should Intelligent Design. Even staunch atheist Richard Dawkins admits there is evidence for design in nature.
    Lol, nothing like a quote completely taken out of context. Are you sure you understand the point he is trying to make?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Callahan)
    Agree with it. It can't be proved, therefore it's a stupid thing to teach. Same with religion.
    Well yes it can I'm afraid, go read some scientific literature. Sure there is doubt as to magnitude and effects, but it is very widely regarded within the scientific community as fact. Saying it can't be proved is like saying evolution can't be proved...

ReputationRep:
    Agree with it. It can't be proved, therefore it's a stupid thing to teach. Same with religion.
    The evolution 'theory' isn't fully proved, so shall we stop teaching that aswell?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. That is absolutely horrifying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    Neither can the Big Bang Theory.

Just sayin'.
    The evidence for a big bang is far more trust worthy and scientifically accurate than any data carried out that support man-made climate change. Yes the climate got warmer last century but there is no way of determining the cause of this, just because there is correlation it does not imply causation. Plus the climate has not gotten any warmer over the last 10 years. There is no valid scientific evidence to support it yet. If the data was produced by CERN for finding the Higgs boson with these error boundaries and this lower significance level (stats) the scientists would get laughed out of the room. More evidence needs to be collected before this is taught as fact in classrooms. In gcses you had to put that CO2 caused climate change; that is not acceptable. And whoever said about not teaching evolution needs to realise that that quote from Dawkins was taken out of context, there is plenty of evidence to support evolution beyond all reasonable doubt; fossil evidence etc.

ReputationRep:
    Total ****ing imbecile. I hope this **** gets sacked sometime soon. Ironically, George Osbourne announced plans for CCS (Carbon Capture and Storage) yesterday; surely indicating a division of somesort in the Conservative Party over climate change.

The issue with discussing climate change is that most people are highly ignorant about it and in many cases, don't want to know. What they pay attention to are the ridiculous articles in right-wing newspapers trying to convert ignorant people to their view (using awful, awful science, if you can even call it that) - because they don't know any better. It's a travesty, really. Even supposedly intelligent people on TSR are clueless - even if they try and appear as if they know what they are talking about.

Of course, anyone remotely well read on climate change will know this. And yet, it changes nothing at all. We know why global temperatures fluctuate - but those reasons can in no way explain what is currently occuring. It's quite simple but I don't have the time to explain it here - if you want explanations watch a video on TED or something...

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely.

We've had to endure this rubbish for long enough: it's propaganda dressed up as education. How would the left like it if we introduced capitalism studies into the curriculum?

ReputationRep:
    Gove is an absolute fool. He doesn't consult on changes; instead he remembers what it was like when he was in education and tries to take it back there.

Our education system has come a long way. There was a huge opportunity at the start of this parliament to plan a work schedule for the 5 years of parliament to undertake significant amounts of research and important consultation on some game-changing aspects of the structures, curriculum, delivery of education in the UK and he hasn't. Instead he has come up with pointless minor adjustments to what is delivered to young people and taken us back decades.

Ministers really need some form of direct accountability.

ReputationRep:
    The article says nothing of the sort. It alludes to the dept. Of education considering it. A million miles away from give wanting to do it.

ReputationRep:
    I want to remove Gove from power

ReputationRep:
    I think getting our energy from hydro-electric, solar panels etc will remove the question of our emissions out of the equation so that's what I think we should focus on. They made a sports car run on electricity, as viewed on Top Gear and while it's not currently fit for practical use, it's a good example of what we're capable of. Battery technology needs to improve. The speed of charging needs to improve. The quality of our renewable energy collectors, such as solar panels, needs to improve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Well yes it can I'm afraid, go read some scientific literature. Sure there is doubt as to magnitude and effects, but it is very widely regarded within the scientific community as fact. Saying it can't be proved is like saying evolution can't be proved...
    While it is accepted in the scientific community that climate change has occurred there are no papers from a rigorous scientific institution that say that man made global warming definitely exists. All the likes of WWF and greenpeace have is a graph which shows correlation; not causation.

I will say that man-made global warming does exist in my opinion and the greenhouse effect explains this however there is no where near enough evidence to say this as fact like they teach at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    Absolutely.

We've had to endure this rubbish for long enough: it's propaganda dressed up as education. How would the left like it if we introduced capitalism studies into the curriculum?
    is there anything you don't have undue conviction over? I mean seriously, what the **** do you know about climate science? You must know an awful lot to so casually disregard an established theory as propagandist rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsnut)
    While it is accepted in the scientific community that climate change has occurred there are no papers from a rigorous scientific institution that say that man made global warming definitely exists. All the likes of WWF and greenpeace have is a graph which shows correlation; not causation.

I will say that man-made global warming does exist in my opinion and the greenhouse effect explains this however there is no where near enough evidence to say this as fact like they teach at the moment.
    So you wouldn't consider the IPCC a rigorous scientific institution?! Written collaboratively by thousands of scientists across the world?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    Absolutely.

Surely capitalism is already explored through politics and economics? Besides, we live in a capitalist society so children already know all about it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like that guy but I can see why it's being removed.

It's lies.

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:

I agree, to a small extent.

Children should be taught the facts, anthropogenic global warming and evolution are among those facts.

ID arguments should be taught, though not in the science classroom as it isn't a scientifically supported theory.

Anti-AGW arguments should also be taught as that, arguments, not facts. Children should, in my opinion, be aware that AGW is the consensus (over 98% by some studies) among climatologists.

(Original post by physicsnut)
    The evidence for a big bang is far more trust worthy and scientifically accurate than any data carried out that support man-made climate change. Yes the climate got warmer last century but there is no way of determining the cause of this, just because there is correlation it does not imply causation. Plus the climate has not gotten any warmer over the last 10 years. There is no valid scientific evidence to support it yet. If the data was produced by CERN for finding the Higgs boson with these error boundaries and this lower significance level (stats) the scientists would get laughed out of the room. More evidence needs to be collected before this is taught as fact in classrooms. In gcses you had to put that CO2 caused climate change; that is not acceptable. And whoever said about not teaching evolution needs to realise that that quote from Dawkins was taken out of context, there is plenty of evidence to support evolution beyond all reasonable doubt; fossil evidence etc.
    The climate has not gotten warmer over the past 10 years: The temperature may not have risen much in the past 10 years, but the ten hottest years since 1901 have occurred within the past 15 years.

No valid scientific theory: Can you be specific, for what is there no theory?

CO2 does cause climate change as it is, among others, a greenhouse gas. It is not the main contributor, but it is one that is heavily emitted by humans (30 billions tonnes per year).

ReputationRep:
    I'd really be interested to hear where the anti-AGW people get there arguments, there seems to be an awful lot.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.