Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there huge percentage of students who apply to medical school with grades lower than BBB?
    Most medical schools accept only less than half of their applicants. I just wanted to know if the majority of the students got rejected because of their grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heidi)
    Is there huge percentage of students who apply to medical school with grades lower than BBB?
    Most medical schools accept only less than half of their applicants. I just wanted to know if the majority of the students got rejected because of their grades.
    you can't realistically get in without AAB or at least ABB...but most probably want AAA as it is so competative....my advice is get some realted experience under your belt asap...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heidi)
    I think most schools are sensible enough to advise people not to apply to medical school if they don't have grades of BBB at the absolute minimum. The reason so many get rejected is that there simply aren't enough places; some people probably haven't got the necessary qualities, but a lot are just pipped out by slightly better candidates. Anyway, grades aren't everything - I got predicted AAAA (and got it!) but Newcastle still rejected me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I think most schools are sensible enough to advise people not to apply to medical school if they don't have grades of BBB at the absolute minimum. The reason so many get rejected is that there simply aren't enough places; some people probably haven't got the necessary qualities, but a lot are just pipped out by slightly better candidates. Anyway, grades aren't everything - I got predicted AAAA (and got it!) but Newcastle still rejected me.
    Bas***s! - Oh well your still gunna be a doctor so....
    I wanted to goto Newcastle but I didnt even apply there. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    medicine is a really competitve field, so just make sure you do your best at A-levels. i doubt applicants with ABB or below would be even considered because it is just so competitive that the majority of applicants will be AAA students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Well, I'm over it - just using it to illustrate the point. They did actually invite me for interviews for clearance places in July, so I sent them an ever-so-slightly-sarcastic e-mail saying thanks for asking, but I'm going to Cambridge

Nice place though, really.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm over it - just using it to illustrate the point. They did actually invite me for interviews for clearance places in July, so I sent them an ever-so-slightly-sarcastic e-mail saying thanks for asking, but I'm going to Cambridge

Nice place though, really.
    HAHAH! I would have loved to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    HAHAH! I would have loved to do that.
    Yeah, it was quite a sweet moment

i am going for dentistry, and liverpool gave me an offer of BBB, the only reason because of that is because i owned in the interview... however if i don't get BBB then i'm not going to go, reason why? i don't think i will be able to cope with the course.... my predictions are ABB ( which is what is required for all my other 3 apart from manchester who want AAB )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa12)
    i am going for dentistry, and liverpool gave me an offer of BBB, the only reason because of that is because i owned in the interview... however if i don't get BBB then i'm not going to go, reason why? i don't think i will be able to cope with the course.... my predictions are ABB ( which is what is required for all my other 3 apart from manchester who want AAB )
    Where is your first choice?

and also i'd just liek to add, you have to want to do it, i like the subjects im doing and just enjoy learning.... but if you're working your butt off just to get into med school then personally i don't think thats the right way to go about it

an academic that is interested in a certain field is what is required

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply.
    I just moved here from Florida last December. I really haven't got a clue how the british system works yet. And I really do want to go to med school.
    I got a C on our AS Chemistry Unit 1 mock exam. (that's b/c I practically missed one half term) I had to basically read the whole Unit book in 2 weeks! ( didn't have a life for 2 weeks either by the way). I was dissappointed but I did expected worse. I never got a C in my life!!! What do you usually do when it comes down to revising for exams and what A level classes did you take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heidi)
    Thanks for your reply.
    I just moved here from Florida last December. I really haven't got a clue how the british system works yet. And I really do want to go to med school.
    I got a C on our AS Chemistry Unit 1 mock exam. (that's b/c I practically missed one half term) I had to basically read the whole Unit book in 2 weeks! ( didn't have a life for 2 weeks either by the way). I was dissappointed but I did expected worse. I never got a C in my life!!! What do you usually do when it comes down to revising for exams and what A level classes did you take?
    I did Chemistry, Biology, Maths and German. I guess it must have been really difficult for you to learn all that stuff in one term! Hopefully you'll have more time to revise in the summer. The best thing to do is to get hold of a copy of the syllabus and work through it with your book. That way you know that you've covered everything on it. Fingers crossed you'll do better in your summer exams!

(Original post by Daveo)
    Where is your first choice?
    Firm = Liverpool Ins = Queen mary? Why? cuz i fell in love wit liverpool ;p

ReputationRep:
    Medical School Entry Specific Chat and Message Boards:

http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk/forum/index.php
    http://www.admissionsforum.co.uk/
    http://pub20.ezboard.com/bbmedstudentschat4
    http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content...,students,chat

Hope these help in some way!

Fxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)

I know someone who got BBB and managed to get into Newcastle for medicine, however their offer was for ABB - I think begging after results day was required.

ReputationRep:
    Say you do four subjects for AS, one which has no relevence (sp?) to medicine, just an "extra" eg english lit, french etc and then give that one up for A level. If you get straight As in the other subjects but only say a B or a C for that "extra" will you be less likely to be accepted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onlylittleme)
    Say you do four subjects for AS, one which has no relevence (sp?) to medicine, just an "extra" eg english lit, french etc and then give that one up for A level. If you get straight As in the other subjects but only say a B or a C for that "extra" will you be less likely to be accepted?
    I doubt it would affect your chances. As long as applicants have the required predicted grades (AAA or AAB generally), - they tend to judge much more heavily on the personal statment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    I doubt it would affect your chances. As long as applicants have the required predicted grades (AAA or AAB generally), - they tend to judge much more heavily on the personal statment.
    Jesus, I am scared now, I really want to go to medical school but I really dont have that much going for me Is there anything I can do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onlylittleme)
    Jesus, I am scared now, I really want to go to medical school but I really dont have that much going for me Is there anything I can do?
    Sport, Duke of Edinburgh, Volentary work, Lots of work experience, take up playing a musical instrument. There are allsorts of things you can do. Make sure you canportray your interest and enthusiasm for the course too - thats very important.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.