Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onlylittleme)
    Jesus, I am scared now, I really want to go to medical school but I really dont have that much going for me Is there anything I can do?
    What do you mean by that? If your grades are bad try putting in the extra effort, if not then maybe a bit extra work experience is necessary. That is my main problem!! Any ideas as to where the most relevent places for work experience are? I have a week at a hospital but that is about it at the moment!! I am a little worried about that part of getting in! All is not lost though, i know someone who screwed up Chem A level (got a C) and still got accepted, on the condition she took a year out to get some more experience!

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, I am scared now, I really want to go to medical school but I really dont have that much going for me Is there anything I can do?

As long as you have some good solid work experience/volunteering under your belt, then DoE etc won't matter.

Look into the Millenium Volunteers too - has more clout today than DoE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CacheUK)
    What do you mean by that? If your grades are bad try putting in the extra effort, if not then maybe a bit extra work experience is necessary. That is my main problem!! Any ideas as to where the most relevent places for work experience are? I have a week at a hospital but that is about it at the moment!! I am a little worried about that part of getting in! All is not lost though, i know someone who screwed up Chem A level (got a C) and still got accepted, on the condition she took a year out to get some more experience!
    No I think I could possibly get the grades, its just the other things that I am not sure I can do, I am not very charismatic, etc. I already have duke of edinburgh bronze but that does not really mean much does it? I have played an instrument for 7 years, as well as dance lessons since I was 4. And I am taking a gap year to teach in the Phillipines, as well as going on a world challenge expedition next summer (if I can raise the money, any sponsors...)

ReputationRep:
    No I think I could possibly get the grades, its just the other things that I am not sure I can do, I am not very charismatic, etc. I already have duke of edinburgh bronze but that does not really mean much does it? I have played an instrument for 7 years, as well as dance lessons since I was 4. And I am taking a gap year to teach in the Phillipines, as well as going on a world challenge expedition next summer (if I can raise the money, any sponsors...)
    I see your problem. All you can do is hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I see your problem. All you can do is hope.
    He's got tons more than me....
    ACH!

ReputationRep:
    I'm at newcastle at the moment and its bull **** about the low grades, the only way you could get in with BBB would be if you were willing to go to one of the uni's that is less established for example stockton which is affiliated to Newcastle lets people in with lower grades.

The best way to get in is to do loads of work experience, apply early and make your personal statement different - remember you've got to throw off up to 15 other people competeing for the same place - if you look different you're more likely to get noticed.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orange orange)
    I'm at newcastle at the moment and its bull **** about the low grades, the only way you could get in with BBB would be if you were willing to go to one of the uni's that is less established for example stockton which is affiliated to Newcastle lets people in with lower grades.
    Stockton were the ones that rejected me :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orange orange)
    I suspect that the poster was refering to Durham/Newcastle as the same entity - we are after all on the same course acredited by the same university, with the same goal and outcomes!

Incidentally, even when applying to UDQC most applicants would still have to gain AAB to be admitted. The BBB offer is only made for a small number of local applicants
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Heidi)
    I just moved here from Florida last December. I really haven't got a clue how the british system works yet. And I really do want to go to med school.
    You might or might not already know this but it's something that doesn't seem widely known so I'll post it here.

If you haven't been living in the UK (or the EU) for 3 years* prior to the 30th September nearest to the start of your course you will have to pay fees at the international rate (ie ~£10,000 for your first 3 years and ~£20,000 for your final 2 (plus another £10k if you spend an extra yr intercalating)). If you've been here for 3 years then you're eligable for home fees (which at the moment are a little over £1000pa for the entire duration of the course and in 2006 will rise to £3000pa for the entire duration of the course repayable after you've graduated and are earning over £15kpa - and you would get help with living costs in the form of student loans). With this in mind it might be worth taking the time now to look into some work experience that would aid your application to do during a gap year.

It's also worth remembering that although numbers of places for Home/EU students on medicine courses are restricted - places for international fee paying students on medicine courses are even more restricted so competition is even higher.

Hope this hasn't come as a complete shock

*and not solely for the purpose of education either - you can't come to boarding school here for 3 yrs and be eligible for home fee status

ReputationRep:
    I'm a german citizen, so this makes me a European citizen right?
    We just moved to Florida in 1997 on a business visa.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Heidi)
    I'm a german citizen, so this makes me a European citizen right?
    We just moved to Florida in 1997 on a business visa.
    Even as an EU citizen you need to have been resident in the EU for 3 yrs prior to starting your course to be eligable for home fees status (there are a lot of UK students who've lived abroad with their family, come back for A levels and been shocked to find out that they have to take a gap year or pay international fees - it isn't based on citizenship it's based on residence)

http://www.bath.ac.uk/admissions/fee_status.htm
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Sorry to be the person to surprise you with this as I said there are a lot of people who don't realise until they're ready to leave for uni (and it's not unknown for people to simply be surprised by a large bill arriving on their door after they've arrived at uni) - you might still be ok (there is a loophole which allows absence for temporary employment of a spouse or parent so if the job in Florida was on a temporary or fixed term contract basis you could probably get home fee status without much hassle)

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/gfees/ has the full legal details (and a rough guide to determining if someone is eligible to pay home fees and a checklist for helping universities decide whether absence was for temporary employment purposes).

And at the very worst you'll simply have to take a gap year (and if you get relevent work experience during the gap yr not only will you have some extra cash in your pocket but your application for medicine will be far stronger).

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.