Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Confidence of young men Watch

ReputationRep:
    As a young man myself, and surely other young men will agree with me, I feel confident. I think it's a mixture of the naivety of youth and the general feeling that we can handle ourselves.

It's just the little things that I do (or don't do) that show that I'm pretty confident. I don't always cover my PIN at cashpoints, I'm not afraid to go out by myself at late hours, and if I see a bunch of hoodies mucking around on the pavement, I'll walk past them rather than cross the road.

I am fairly confident that I can handle myself in most situations, including physical attacks or loss of belongings.

I know I shouldn't feel as confident as I do. It's completely ironic that people of my description are most likely to be involved in brawls, be the victims of assaults and whatnot.

I'm pretty sure that other young men feel likewise. Do you/don't you, and if so why so/not?

ReputationRep:
    I feel the exact same way dude, I'm currently 19 and at University. During secondary school was very shy and withdrawn, I am now very confident and involved. For me it feels like I have discovered that life is too short to be shy and quiet, it's better to be relaxed and confident and have no regrets such as, "Why didn't speak up?" and "I should have stepped in."

I NEVER cover my PIN at cashpoints as I'm very confident that I won't be mugged. Also, i'm not afraid of going out late at night to get something, even though there's drunks and hoodies all over the place.

ReputationRep:
    Those little points you mentioned like never shielding your PIN actually apply to me too. I've never really thought of it like that though. I guess I am uber confident and could just stroll into a club and be like waddup I gotta big [img]http://bookhaven.stanford.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/****.jpg[/img]

ReputationRep:
    Testosterone ftw.

ReputationRep:
    Dammit I cover my PIN at cash points, I'm doomed to never be confident.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be quite shy, though I've managed to improve on that since entering college. However, I always cover my pin and avoid assassins hoodies when possible, simply to remain on the safe side.

It just sounds a little silly to me to take no precautions against danger, though that may be because I know people who've been subject to credit fraud and muggings.

(Original post by justanotherposter)
    Dammit I cover my PIN at cash points, I'm doomed to never be confident.
    Sucks to be us!

ReputationRep:
    *farts loudly*

ReputationRep:
    Alot of badass in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    Alot of badass in this thread.
    yes dear

ReputationRep:
    Since when is not covering your PIN a sign of confidence? It's a sign of optimism/naivety.
    *Can't tell if serious*

It's not my impression that young, 19 year old men are confident. Speaking from TSR, most would rather go and die than approach an attractive woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie228)
    Since when is not covering your PIN a sign of confidence? It's a sign of optimism/naivety.
    *Can't tell if serious*

It's not my impression that young, 19 year old men are confident. Speaking from TSR, most would rather go and die than approach an attractive woman.
    yes dear

ReputationRep:
    how tall are u guys tho and do u work out/ do boxing or anything?

ReputationRep:
    No one is confident. We're all naked and shivering, blinking in the light. Will anyone find us out?

ReputationRep:
    Boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicatre)
    Boring.
    yes dear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody boyd)
    yes dear
    :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamgreatness)
    how tall are u guys tho and do u work out/ do boxing or anything?
    u wot m8?

ReputationRep:
    It is good practice to cover your PIN at cash points - banks etc. recommend you do. Criminals commonly install cameras to monitor the pin pad in addition to putting a skimming device on the card slot. http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/frau...ashpoint-fraud

I'm confident in social situations but I don't particularly like going out my myself at night and I will cross the road away from dodgy looking people etc. I think I have come to expect the worst from watching the news and TV programmes. I seem to expect murders and muggers around every corner ...

ReputationRep:
    This isn't just young men, it is all men. Until you become old and frail, confidence just grows and grows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    This isn't just young men, it is all men. Until you become old and frail, confidence just grows and grows.
    yes dear

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.