Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    I hope I'm not the only one, but does anyone else get really, really anxious over the first few dates with someone??

Last year I had a bit of a problem with anxiety, and ever since then I have had major freak outs over first dates and the anxiety creeps its little head back up. I still go on the dates because I'm definitely NOT letting anxiety win me over, but I hate that I get these feelings and it takes a very long time for it to disappear!

Please tell me I'm not insane and that I will be able to control these horrible nerves!!! Or am I just confusing these nerves for anxiety and making it worse. Damn you brain!

ReputationRep:
    It is perfectly normal to get anxious over first dates. You are not insane and if you can override these feelings then you can exert some control over them. However nervous you get, just do it anyway. Not doing it will make you more nervous. On these occasions you just have to accept that you are nervous rather than force yourself to not be, or to question why you feel that way.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying. It's nice to know that I'm not going mad and it is normal. I need to chill out on the next date I have!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In my experience they are a bit of a 'job interview' with the associated anxiety! It depends a little bit on how positive the build up has been.. And I've had the experience of being blown out after a first and second date which is a bit soul destroying - mind you I wasn't too sure either. Overall I much prefer 'going out with' to 'seeing'..

ReputationRep:
    everyone gets a little nervous on first dates, its perfectly natural...just try to be your normal self and it should all fall into a place

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry! Everyone feels the nerves at first.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.