Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mark,

I writing to you because I am finding applying for student finance online very confusing.

I have been told by several sources that because I am applying for a PGCE in Secondary English, currently earning £14,000 a year, and already hold a First Class BA Hons in English Literature that I should be entitled to the full range of grants and loans that are available. However, when I fill out my details on the website, it says that I am entitled to nothing!

I noticed that this is because I ticked the box that signifies that I already hold an honours degree. When I untick that option, the funds become available to me, but surely everyone who applies for a PGCE holds an honours degree already?

Another thing is that the electronic form keeps setting the fees as £8,000 per year when they are in fact, £9,000. Everytime I change it manually, it automatically changes back, therefore preventing me from applying for the full amount of money that I need!

I must be doing something wrong because my colleague applied for university last year, was entitled to all loans and grants and didn't have any problems. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to what is happening.

Thank you
    Jenny
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jenny,

As a PGCE you will be entitled to receive maintenance and tuition fee support but if definitely sounds as though you're entering something incorrectly on your application.

Can you let me know what you've answered to this question?

Are you attending a postgraduate course which does not lead to an Initial Teacher Training Qualification?

Thanks!
    Mark-Lee

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mark,

After some tweaking, I have managed to fix the problem. The UCAS code I entered was bringing up the wrong subject for some reason (i.e. not a PGCE), so I searched for the course manually and entered it. It seems to be working fine now, allowing me the loans and grants I am entitled to. I have sent the application off for consideration.

Thanks for your help
    Jenny
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Smashing glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.