Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Why are GP receptionists so rude yet compassion is instilled in other healthcare staf Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b4tman)
    Speak clearly and emphasise lip movements, if it comes to it write things down. Shouting at someone is rude regardless of whether they can hear you or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Communicating only in writing to these people? An interesting idea. I have to say though, i have never come across any mildy deaf person who wanted me to write things down, nor any family members who wrote things down for them. Most of them specifically ask you to speak louder. I suspect a lot of them would react badly to you writing at them actually, given that everyone else in their lives just shouts, though admittedly i've never tried.

Face them with nothing covering your mouth, yes. You shouldn't try to emphasise lip movements as people are bad at it and it actually makes it harder for people to lip read.

(Original post by Lukev)
    Write it on an appointment card perhaps?
    Yeah good point bad example! Communicating generally though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bridgeta222)
    Why are GP receptionists so rude yet compassion is instilled in other healthcare staff, we all know the current drive the NHS has going for compassion in nurses and GPs too, that patients are listened to, but although I appreciate the difficulty of having to answer phone calls etc, I don't think it's a strong enough reason to be rude and curt.

So why have GP receptionists been left out of the picture for compassion training? Arguably compassion can't be trained but at least an awareness that they should seem compassionate, at least.

My reaction is just to be graceful and even if they're curt to me I carry on being polite, which is counter-intuitive, but it always leaves a bad feeling after having made the call, perhaps I'm too sensitive.

Also, they spend time gossiping to one another when I'm actually there in the queue and the queue is getting bigger and they're still in chitter-chatter mode, it doesn't make for efficiency.
    I've noticed that too! I really thought it was the receptionists in my area. For instance, I went to GP as my sibling was seriously ill. She phoned the doctor and told him "she doesn't look that ill!" What right does she have to say that. Their job is not nearly as demanding as, say, nurses.
    Don't even mention how they process referrals :/

This was posted from the Student Room's Android App
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boqore)
    I've noticed that too! I really thought it was the receptionists in my area. For instance, I went to GP as my sibling was seriously ill. She phoned the doctor and told him "she doesn't look that ill!" What right does she have to say that. Their job is not nearly as demanding as, say, nurses.
    Don't even mention how they process referrals :/

This was posted from the Student Room's Android App
    Many people don't look ill. Doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    How? They're bound by the same laws as anyone else who handles sensitive data.
    Right -

If a doctor were to lose his job over a confidentiality issue, that's a major deal. It would destroy him professionally. A doctor can only really be a doctor, and who would employ a doctor with a track record of confidentiality issues?

On the other hand, a GP receptionist has a menial, minimum wage job to lose.

Just because they're bound to the same law doesn't mean the outcomes for both would be equal.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.