Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    I am applying for nutrition and dietetics this year at Cardiff met. Not sure if I'll get as far as interview stages as they require work experience. I have booked a place on an experience day (which counts as the work experience) but it isn't until April and obviously I have to submit my application by January. I'm in the process of ringing around hospitals trying to arrange something.
    Good luck eveyone

ReputationRep:
    Interview for Chester! Just waiting for Plymouth now.

ReputationRep:
    AHHHH this time tomorrow would have had my surrey interview!

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview at Surrey tomorrow too!! Soo nervous!!! See you there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slhemm)
    I have an interview at Surrey tomorrow too!! Soo nervous!!! See you there
    Ahhh!!! how do you think it went? who were you btw?! so exciting!!!

( p.s i will probably recognize you from your clothing/appearance, unfortunately I am bad at names!

ReputationRep:
    Got an email from Chester basically saying I have an interview if I get work experience by 15th Jan! I really cant seem to get any from of shadowing/work experience. Im really busy with mocks and school work as it is (so cant travel 4+hours which seem to be the only ones i can find)! Im based in SE England, have spoken to all the local hospitals and private dieticians but no luck. Oh well.

Just out of curiosity, what are the Surrey interviews like? Ive got mine in 2 weeks (11th Dec), Ive been trying to find any info/typical questions online but not too sure. I know its 'informal' so not sure what to expect!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm new to TSR and applying for Dietetics this year. I'm applying to Leeds Met, QMU (Edinburgh), Cardiff, Chester and Coventry.

I haven't sent off my application yet, but I am doing so next week once my personal statement has been checked by my tutors at college.

I have had a day of formal shadowing earlier this year and have since gotten a part time job as a Therapy Assistant on the Dietetics department at my local NHS hospital, where I work 2, 8 hour days a week. I've also done some volunteering at my local food bank where I made up food packages and been apart of food collections at supermarkets.

But now I'm really nervous seeing that a lot of people have had offers and I haven't even sent mine off yet! Does anyone know whether not being really early with the application can reduce someone's chances of getting on the course? I am hoping my work experience will act in my favour though.

Is anyone else in my situation and not sent their UCAS off yet? Has anyone had their interviews?

Martin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin94)
    Hi everyone, I'm new to TSR and applying for Dietetics this year. I'm applying to Leeds Met, QMU (Edinburgh), Cardiff, Chester and Coventry.

I haven't sent off my application yet, but I am doing so next week once my personal statement has been checked by my tutors at college.

I have had a day of formal shadowing earlier this year and have since gotten a part time job as a Therapy Assistant on the Dietetics department at my local NHS hospital, where I work 2, 8 hour days a week. I've also done some volunteering at my local food bank where I made up food packages and been apart of food collections at supermarkets.

But now I'm really nervous seeing that a lot of people have had offers and I haven't even sent mine off yet! Does anyone know whether not being really early with the application can reduce someone's chances of getting on the course? I am hoping my work experience will act in my favour though.

Is anyone else in my situation and not sent their UCAS off yet? Has anyone had their interviews?

Martin.
    All applicants will get equal consideration as long as you apply before the January 15th deadline so you're fine! Your experience is also much more than average applicants, many don't manage to find one placement so in that sense you're three steps ahead having three food related experiences

ReputationRep:
    Hi potential dietitians! I'm a first year student so feel free to ask me any questions about the course, what interviews are like etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kath_igidbashian)
    Hi potential dietitians! I'm a first year student so feel free to ask me any questions about the course, what interviews are like etc
    Hi,

I would be happy to ask plenty of questions

where exactly are you studying Dietetics in London? How come you'd chosen London? Is London too expensive for a student to live in?

Which were your other choices?

And since you've mentioned it, how is an interview structured? Was it difficult? Where did you have your interviews? were they very different one from another?

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer for dietetics from Surrey!! :excited:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Book_worm)
    Got an offer for dietetics from Surrey!! :excited:
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! mee tooo!
    Who were you on the interview day? would I recognize you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timea)
    Hi,

I would be happy to ask plenty of questions

where exactly are you studying Dietetics in London? How come you'd chosen London? Is London too expensive for a student to live in?

Which were your other choices?

And since you've mentioned it, how is an interview structured? Was it difficult? Where did you have your interviews? were they very different one from another?
    Hi, I'm at London Met, this was my only London choice (I would have loved to apply for King's but I didn't have the predicted grades so I didn't want to 'waste' a choice). My firm was actually Chester and London Met was my insurance, even though London Met gave me higher offer and I was really excited at the prospect of moving out to go to Chester, but due to family circumstances I had to decline my place at Chester to go to London Met.
    Now I live at home still and commute into uni only twice a week so that isn't too bad, I'm afraid I can't really say how expensive London is as a student but I know that it is expensive to live in (some of my friends are paying £180 a week for halls, only shared bathrooms, while in Chester this was easily half the price). But generally London is expensive, I'm not sure where you live, depends on the area you might find it only a little more expensive or significantly more.
    My other choices where Surrey, Plymouth and Coventry.

London Met's interview was probably the one where I thought I did the worst (but I was just getting over a very heavy cold so I didn't feel wonderful anyway), we had a group interview, a writing test explaining why we wanted to be a dietitian - I think I just said the same stuff from my personal statement, then we had our interview with 2 of the staff
    Chester was also a group interview (as an activity) and then again an interview with 2 of the staff. Surrey was only a 1:1 interview while Coventry was only a group interview. Plymouth didn't interview.

I hope that's everything, feel free to keep asking more things!

ReputationRep:

Any help with the type of questions they ask will be great. I've got an interview for Chester on the 16th and for Cardiff Met on the 18th. Coventry is still a long way off and haven't heard anything from Leeds Met yet. Are the questions just based on why you want to be a dietitian, how passionate you are and what interests you more about the job or are they more in depth with an expectation of current nutritional information and contemporary issues in the field? (which for a course like this most people will be aware of anyway).

You're the first person I've found to offer any information on interviews and the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prees)
    Surrey, Chester and Coventry. Ulster also offers it without chemistry but I don't fancy going to Northern Ireland. That was my dilemma, I despise Chemistry unless it's related to something I'm interested in so I would have hated it and not got a good grade.
    Hi,

I wanted to ask if Ulster is the only uni offering the dietetic course without the necessity of chemistry being included or if there are also others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timea)
    Hi,

I wanted to ask if Ulster is the only uni offering the dietetic course without the necessity of chemistry being included or if there are also others.
    I know Ulster, Surrey, Coventry and Chester don't need Chemistry however I'm not sure if they want another science in place of it as I do Physics so I didn't look for 'only biology required'. Plymouth say they'd give me an offer if I have Chemistry AS and my friend has been told by Queen Margaret that they'd be willing to give her an offer without Chemistry as well regardless of what they say on their website.

Check the universities websites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prees)
    I know Ulster, Surrey, Coventry and Chester don't need Chemistry however I'm not sure if they want another science in place of it as I do Physics so I didn't look for 'only biology required'. Plymouth say they'd give me an offer if I have Chemistry AS and my friend has been told by Queen Margaret that they'd be willing to give her an offer without Chemistry as well regardless of what they say on their website.

Check the universities websites.
    Surrey generally do want chemistry, on their website it says 'preferably chemistry' along with biology but at the open day they said it was almost a necessity. Nottingham and Kings also require it, Chester doesnt, Im not sure about others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laroberts92)
    Any help with the type of questions they ask will be great. I've got an interview for Chester on the 16th and for Cardiff Met on the 18th. Coventry is still a long way off and haven't heard anything from Leeds Met yet. Are the questions just based on why you want to be a dietitian, how passionate you are and what interests you more about the job or are they more in depth with an expectation of current nutritional information and contemporary issues in the field? (which for a course like this most people will be aware of anyway).

You're the first person I've found to offer any information on interviews and the course.
    One of the unis (I don't think any of yours) asked about something in current affairs so science research so it may be worthwhile reading on the NHS choices site for new research, written quite well I found. All of them asked the role of a dietitian and why you want to be one, generally all the things that you have asked yourself, one of the unis, again not yours asked what's the best conversation you've ever had and also what would you cook for a dinner party (3 course meal) so generally not too bad, but some odd ones.

Just make sure you prepare answers the most likely ones and try and learn them so you feel more confident. Good luck! Also I think my interview was exactly a year ago from when yours was, interesting....

ReputationRep:
    One of the unis (I don't think any of yours) asked about something in current affairs so science research so it may be worthwhile reading on the NHS choices site for new research, written quite well I found. All of them asked the role of a dietitian and why you want to be one, generally all the things that you have asked yourself, one of the unis, again not yours asked what's the best conversation you've ever had and also what would you cook for a dinner party (3 course meal) so generally not too bad, but some odd ones.

Just make sure you prepare answers the most likely ones and try and learn them so you feel more confident. Good luck! Also I think my interview was exactly a year ago from when yours was, interesting....

Thanks for the reply. If someone didn't know how to answer the question of why they want to be a dietitian or what interests them they'd be going into the wrong degree anyway. The best conversation one I'd be completely stuck on but now that you've mentioned it I'll probably give it little bit of thought anyway. I'll have a little read up on the NHS choices website as well just incase. The 3 course meal one would be easy considering I spend most of my free time having people over for food/ planning what to make people next time they come over for food.

Thanks again for the reply, it's been infuriating trying to find information on the interview stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laroberts92)
    Thanks for the reply. If someone didn't know how to answer the question of why they want to be a dietitian or what interests them they'd be going into the wrong degree anyway. The best conversation one I'd be completely stuck on but now that you've mentioned it I'll probably give it little bit of thought anyway. I'll have a little read up on the NHS choices website as well just incase. The 3 course meal one would be easy considering I spend most of my free time having people over for food/ planning what to make people next time they come over for food.

Thanks again for the reply, it's been infuriating trying to find information on the interview stage.
    If you didn't know why you wanted tk be a dietitian then you wouldn't even be offered an interview so at you're on the right track

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.