Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what sort of the things could you say about cultural context in "a streetcar named desire" at the point where Blanche describes stanley as an ape and he hears (around scen 2/3). i've already got that it shows how diffferent their two worlds are but i need a few more.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCJ)
    what sort of the things could you say about cultural context in "a streetcar named desire" at the point where Blanche describes stanley as an ape and he hears (around scen 2/3). i've already got that it shows how diffferent their two worlds are but i need a few more.

thanks
    hmm i can't remember what 'cultural context' is asking for, but here are some of my thoughts...

there's quite a lot of reference to the way Stanley & Stella's relationship is very old-fashioned and masochist, eg at the start of the book where stanley (caveman) brings home the bloody raw meat for stella to cook... you can see the background of Elysian Fields is very male dominated- eg the poker party - you can also compare their neighbour. blanche lives in a romantic world of her own, and believes that the world has progressed to a point where there can be an equality of sexes, and of the culture and sophistication of the world where she comes from. unfortunately, that is torn apart, and she is shown the harsh realities, that they have not 'progressed' as far as she thought - that we still live in a animal like society, where men rule the roost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCJ)

thanks
    There's the whole immigrant versus old ancestor contrast. Blanch consistantly refers to Stanley as a 'polack', while Stanley rejects this, describing himself as '100% american'. Blache plays on her French ancestry, especially to mitch.

From there you can go to the decay of the the older classes (empitomised by the loss of Belle Reve) and the rise of the vital, enterprising new americans. American dream etc etc.

I hope this is what you're after: refine the question a bit more, and I might be able to dredge some more rubbish up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    There's the whole immigrant versus old ancestor contrast. Blanch consistantly refers to Stanley as a 'polack', while Stanley rejects this, describing himself as '100% american'. Blache plays on her French ancestry, especially to mitch.

From there you can go to the decay of the the older classes (empitomised by the loss of Belle Reve) and the rise of the vital, enterprising new americans. American dream etc etc.

I hope this is what you're after: refine the question a bit more, and I might be able to dredge some more rubbish up!
    lol DAMN i knew i should have remembered all that when I was doing my Eng Lit a-level! your answers look better than mine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    lol DAMN i knew i should have remembered all that when I was doing my Eng Lit a-level! your answers look better than mine!
    I should hope so! :p [j/k]

Though mind you yours wasn't bad...especially since you've been out for a while; I hadn't thought of the animalistic view of society. That's the problem with English, when someone makes a connection you missed it always looks so obvious!

ReputationRep:
    cheers that all help a lot

thanks again.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.