The Student Room Group

A Level Options? Help!

Okay so I'm thinking about doing a career in writing (scriptwriting, directing, novels, journalism ect.) or teaching (english/drama or primary) and I really don't know which A levels to choose!

I'm thinking Drama and History for definite, but I don't know whether to take English language or literature (or both). Also, I was thinking psychology too, but was advised today that it would be a waste of time, and maybe to take chemistry instead (I get good grades in it).

Help! Can someone please tell me which will be best for my career path?

Reply 1
English literature is generally valued more, but look at the specifications for both, because there's no point taking it if you hate the course content so much you won't be motivated to study.
Reply 2
Original post by allconfused
Okay so I'm thinking about doing a career in writing (scriptwriting, directing, novels, journalism ect.) or teaching (english/drama or primary) and I really don't know which A levels to choose!

I'm thinking Drama and History for definite, but I don't know whether to take English language or literature (or both). Also, I was thinking psychology too, but was advised today that it would be a waste of time, and maybe to take chemistry instead (I get good grades in it).

Help! Can someone please tell me which will be best for my career path?

Don't do Drama - useless soft subject.
English Language isn't respected, don't bother with it. Do literature.
Same with psychology.

History and chemistry are good.
Reply 3
Thanks- I'll check it out :smile:

Any ideas about the whole psychology debarcle? I'm in a huge dilemma with that one (need options picked ideally this week!), and I've heard it's such a huge waste of time but it looks so so good! Just not sure whether or not to drop it for english language or chemistry, or if I should just keep it.

Thanks again muchly:biggrin:
Reply 4
i would definitely say take chemistry over psychology.
Also history and english lang + lit would mean three essay writing subjects...
Reply 5
Do NOT do a science "because you get good grades in it" at GCSE. A-Level is a whole different story. Only take a science subject (and in fact, any subject) if you sincerely enjoy it. Chemistry at A-level is a whole lot harder than the simple things you're doing now at GCSE.

Psychology isn't a waste of time. No A-Level is a waste of time if you have the interest in it, and those which say they are more often than not the holier-than-thou types. People think Psych's a soft subject, but it isn't. It may not be "traditional," but that doesn't make it soft or easy. And anyway, if you're going into teaching the only subjects you might "need" to take are whatever subjects you are intending to teach.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
Original post by Emma_foz
i would definitely say take chemistry over psychology.
Also history and english lang + lit would mean three essay writing subjects...

Okay thanks.. Can I ask what you do?

So is doing english language totally useless then?

At the minute it kinda looks like Drama, Eng Lit, History and Chemistry. The only problem is I hate hate hate chemistry, and the only reason I'm considering it is because it's my best science subject and I could do with something in place of psych if it's as useless as everyone makes out.
Reply 7

At the minute it kinda looks like Drama, Eng Lit, History and Chemistry. The only problem is I hate hate hate chemistry, and the only reason I'm considering it is because it's my best science subject and I could do with something in place of psych if it's as useless as everyone makes out.

There's not point doing both eng lit and lang, so I would stick with eng lit - it's more respected. Don't take chem if you hate it, the jump between GCSE and A level is pretty big and it will be difficult to do well if you hate it - same goes for any subject, don't take something you don't like. It's better to do a subject you like (i.e., psych) even if it's considered a "softer" subject and to get an A in it than to do a subject you dislike and get a not-so-good grade in it.
Reply 8
Original post by dlaiden
Do NOT do a science "because you get good grades in it" at GCSE. A-Level is a whole different story. Only take a science subject (and in fact, any subject) if you sincerely enjoy it. Chemistry at A-level is a whole lot harder than the simple things you're doing now at GCSE.

Psychology isn't a waste of time. No A-Level is a waste of time if you have the interest in it, and those which say they are more often than not the holier-than-thou types. People think Psych's a soft subject, but it isn't. It may not be "traditional," but that doesn't make it soft or easy. And anyway, if you're going into teaching the only subjects you might "need" to take are whatever subjects you are intending to teach.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks for that :smile:

So, just say I did go into teaching rather than writing, and I taught primary, would I need a level maths, or would english lit be enough?
Reply 9

sorry only just seen this. I do chemistry biology maths and geography but you DEFINITELY SHOULDN'T do chemistry if you don't enjoy it! The jump is so big and theres a lot you have to learn at alevel so i would only take it if you have the motivation to do all the learning. However english lit and lang do seem rather pointless together so i don't know if you had any other ideas of subjects you'd like to take? If i were you i'd have a good look at what you'd like to do at university so you don't pick subjects that are too specific or non specific. Alevels like chemistry or maths are often seen highly by universities...

Quick Reply

Latest