The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge for medicine?

Basically, I have been told by my school to apply to Oxbridge and ive since been to look round a love them both but after some research I'm very unsure as to A.) whether I actually have a chance and B.) which one my application would be more suited towards!

Im basically on the verge of being a competitive applicant for both, but I'm not quite a strong applicant for either :/

UMS prediction: 290+ Maths, 270 Biology, 270 Chemistry ( 92% average) this is due to low A's in practicals; and my GCSE % A* is 82%

So basically, I'm a bit below the Cambridge offer standard of 95% UMS and I'm 1 A* (1 UMS ;( ) off of the oxford offer standard of 90% A* :/ I don't know which one my stats are better suited for! Any advice?
Reply 1
Anyone got any advice?
Original post by Dr. Django
Anyone got any advice?

Yes. Ignore your school pushing you into what they perceive to be a prestigious school and look at the choices for yourself. Oxbridge teach medicine in a different way to many other schools, that may or may not suit you. Do more research in to what kind of teaching style you would feel comfortable with, and look into schools that use that style.
Reply 3
Do you literally have no preference between the two? What do think about the differences in course between the two?
I think Cambridge university will be the best for medical education..You should go for it
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Yes. Ignore your school pushing you into what they perceive to be a prestigious school and look at the choices for yourself. Oxbridge teach medicine in a different way to many other schools, that may or may not suit you. Do more research in to what kind of teaching style you would feel comfortable with, and look into schools that use that style.

Agreed. Although I have the grades and A*A*A* predictions, I decided not to apply to Cambridge because I preferred the teaching styles at other uni's. The biggest difference is that you never see a patient in the early years at Cambridge, whereas you'll see them from day one at other uni's. If you feel you are being pressured into choosing Oxbridge, you need to do research on how medicine is taught elsewhere, so that you can put up a solid defence.

My parents wanted me to go to Cambridge, I explained why it wasn't the right choice for me, and they accepted my decision.
Reply 6
100% cambridge. Why?

Because you will almost going to be guaranted an interview and it will most likely be in december.. so if you didnt get in you get a lot of interview practise which will improve your chances in other interviews.
I had 3 separate interviews in cambridge

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending