Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

Basically, tomorrow I have to start planning an experiment to 'calculate the acceleration due to gravity, g, on the Earth.' I'm thinking of using v^2=u^2+2as, where u is zero and plotting a v^2/2s graph so that the gradient is a. I'll be using a light gate to measure v and dropping a marble from a known distance, s, through it.

1- Does anybody have any tips to help me make that basic idea better, or does it seem like it's quite a viable experiment?
    2- I went to Alton Towers and have to relate this to my c/w- does anybody have any interesting facts that I can include?
    3- Might sound bizarre, but I've looked everywhere. Does anybody know the velocity of Oblivion as it reaches the bottom of the vertical drop? The internet appears to only have it's average and top velocity -.- (I'll love you forever if you know!! )

Before anybody claims I'm being lazy and getting you to do my work for me, I've already done a lot of research and have spent a lot of time creating a procedure. I just want to get reassurance that I'm on the right track etc as I'm not allowed to ask my teachers!

Thanks guys, sorry for the long post!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Don't u have a guidance sheet that your teacher gave you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenNaulls)
    Hi guys.

Basically, tomorrow I have to start planning an experiment to 'calculate the acceleration due to gravity, g, on the Earth.' I'm thinking of using v^2=u^2+2as, where u is zero and plotting a v^2/2s graph so that the gradient is a. I'll be using a light gate to measure v and dropping a marble from a known distance, s, through it.

1- Does anybody have any tips to help me make that basic idea better, or does it seem like it's quite a viable experiment?
    2- I went to Alton Towers and have to relate this to my c/w- does anybody have any interesting facts that I can include?
    3- Might sound bizarre, but I've looked everywhere. Does anybody know the velocity of Oblivion as it reaches the bottom of the vertical drop? The internet appears to only have it's average and top velocity -.- (I'll love you forever if you know!! )

Before anybody claims I'm being lazy and getting you to do my work for me, I've already done a lot of research and have spent a lot of time creating a procedure. I just want to get reassurance that I'm on the right track etc as I'm not allowed to ask my teachers!

Thanks guys, sorry for the long post!
    hi. I did my coursework for AS on the refractive index of glass, so I don't know much about the experiment you are doing. have you tried asking some of your friends for what they have done? however,theres a lot you can potentially write about. in your intro, use info on the laws of gravity from Wikipedia. Wikipedia has a lot of stuff you could put into your coursework. the big keywords might get you some marks. also remember to list all the equipments you used and explain your method step by step. in your analysis/evaluation, talk about your experimental errors and how you could improve the experiment.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know what is required of to write for S7 and S8 in physics edexcel coursework.Thanks in advance

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.