The Student Room Group

Which university for insurance?

OK, so I’m brand new here, but I’m really stuck on what university to put as my insurance. My firm will be Cambridge, and my choice of insurance is between Warwick, Bristol, Durham (University College), and Bath. This is important, because to be honest I’m probably going to end up at my insurance.

Warwick probably has the next best reputation for maths, but I’m worried about failing STEP. I don’t need STEP for Bristol or Durham, and I’ve ruled Bath out. I’ve visited all of them and I still can’t decide. I’m not too worried about the A-level grades, I’ve got an A* in maths already so I only need two A’s out of my other three subjects to meet any of the offers. STEP is the problem.

What do people think of the respective universities/courses? What sort of accommodation is available for people who put them as insurance? Should I just toss a coin? I’m seriously thinking of choosing based on internets speeds here.
How is that you are firming Cambridge which I suppose required grade 1 in STEP II, III whilst you are that unsure about getting grade 2 in any STEP for Warwick?
Maybe its wiser to try Warwick and something else as an insurance? It looks to me that you are hoping for a miracle with STEP and Cambridge offer.
Sorry for sounding a bit harsh.
Original post by sparrowhawk4
OK, so I’m brand new here, but I’m really stuck on what university to put as my insurance. My firm will be Cambridge, and my choice of insurance is between Warwick, Bristol, Durham (University College), and Bath. This is important, because to be honest I’m probably going to end up at my insurance.

Warwick probably has the next best reputation for maths, but I’m worried about failing STEP. I don’t need STEP for Bristol or Durham, and I’ve ruled Bath out. I’ve visited all of them and I still can’t decide. I’m not too worried about the A-level grades, I’ve got an A* in maths already so I only need two A’s out of my other three subjects to meet any of the offers. STEP is the problem.

What do people think of the respective universities/courses? What sort of accommodation is available for people who put them as insurance? Should I just toss a coin? I’m seriously thinking of choosing based on internets speeds here.

I can understand where hassassin is coming from, though I'd say you'd be a fool not to put Cambridge as your firm, even if their offer is brutal :tongue: :smile:
I guess I'd maybe try a mock STEP paper (II or III, or even I) at the end of april, maybe one for each - and decide then how likely you are to get a 2. One would hope that STEP I will become a breeze for you, relative to STEP II and III. That is of course only if you are confident/on the way to getting A* in further maths :smile:
Otherwise, and I know this won't really help with decision making, but both Durham and Bristol are great Uni's for Maths, so just choose which one you prefer I suppose. (I myself am having a similar dilemma except with Warwick as firm - deciding between durham and bristol. If I'd gotten the Cambridge offer - I was planning to put Warwick insurance, provided good Jan results.) While I'm very envious of all you Cambridge offer holders, I can't help but feel slightly smug and comforted that I have less work to do to get my firm... :biggrin: Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by hassassin04
How is that you are firming Cambridge which I suppose required grade 1 in STEP II, III whilst you are that unsure about getting grade 2 in any STEP for Warwick?
Maybe its wiser to try Warwick and something else as an insurance? It looks to me that you are hoping for a miracle with STEP and Cambridge offer.
Sorry for sounding a bit harsh.

Nah, it's not harsh, don't worry, but everyone I've met with an offer from Cambridge for maths is worried about STEP. It's a bit of an unknown quantity. No matter how much you prepare, it comes down to what happens on the day, unlike the modular system where you can be pretty much guaranteed an A after January, or even after AS.

Also, I don't know why, but my school doesn't allow me to take three STEP papers. So I'm only taking STEP II and III. But there's no way I'm not putting Cambridge as my firm. I went though way too much stress over that not to. Also, I'm a pessimist by nature. Don't want to get my own hopes up.
Reply 4
Original post by dragonrabbit
I can understand where hassassin is coming from, though I'd say you'd be a fool not to put Cambridge as your firm, even if their offer is brutal :tongue: :smile:
I guess I'd maybe try a mock STEP paper (II or III, or even I) at the end of april, maybe one for each - and decide then how likely you are to get a 2. One would hope that STEP I will become a breeze for you, relative to STEP II and III. That is of course only if you are confident/on the way to getting A* in further maths :smile:
Otherwise, and I know this won't really help with decision making, but both Durham and Bristol are great Uni's for Maths, so just choose which one you prefer I suppose. (I myself am having a similar dilemma except with Warwick as firm - deciding between durham and bristol. If I'd gotten the Cambridge offer - I was planning to put Warwick insurance, provided good Jan results.) While I'm very envious of all you Cambridge offer holders, I can't help but feel slightly smug and comforted that I have less work to do to get my firm... :biggrin: Good luck!

Thanks :smile: Too bad about Cambridge, maybe they got our names mixed up? I've always heard that you'll most likely enjoy whatever university you'll end up in, even people who go through clearing. So I guess the choice between Durham and Bristol probably won't make too much difference in the long run.

I'm going on the Cambridge STEP course for people who don't get any support from school over Easter, so I'll probably take your advice and do some mocks after that, see where I stand.
Well, if you want to stay at the top for math, pick Warwick. If you don't mind settling for a worse uni (when it comes to math), pick one of the others if you are that worried about STEP.

I'd recommend Durham as an insurance as you're almost guaranteed to get accommodation there. Although, there is the whole "Oxbridge rejects" reputation they have there. And, having been to Durham a few times, there has been quite a lot of stereotypes I'm afraid.

I know quite a few people who've dropped out of Warwick, one of them for Maths. It seems to be one of those places you either love or hate. Though, I can see why people might find it claustrophobic.

Bristol, on the other hand, I've heard nothing but praise for. It seems to have a perfect mixture of the new and the old. Accommodation is pretty fantastic in most places. I'd be half tempted to put there as my insurance!
Reply 7

Hey, don't know if this is of any help but my boyfriend studied maths at Bristol and as a result I know a fair few people who did the same.

One of them originally went to Wawrick but hated it - he said it was depressing and boring and there was nothing to do except work, so he reapplied to Bristol the following year.

What I will say for the Bristol Maths course is they have some absolutely fantastic lecturers and it has a great reputation BUT the exams in third year are unreal amount of intense. Given you seem set on Oxbridge though that shouldn't be a worry!

As for accommodation, the vast amount of people in my accommodation (or in general) put Bristol as their insurance behind Oxbridge, and all got accommodation fine.

Quick Reply

Latest