Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have offers from St Andrews, Exeter and Birmingham universities for MSc in Computer Science. Please help me decide where to go.

ReputationRep:
    1. Look at the course content. Not just the general description of 'what this course is about' but the detailed unit/module descriptions. If you cant find this info on the Uni website, email the Dept and ask for it.

2. The 3 Universities are very different in location and style. Only you can decide which one will suit you best. Exeter is a small Campus Uni in a small town (good if you like the security of a 'village'), Birmingham is in a big industrial city (good if you like cities, shopping, clubbing etc), St Andrews is a very traditional, old fashioned University in a small town Scotland (good if you want ancient buildings and lots of ceremonials). These descriptions are just mine - other people would describe them each differently I'm sure, but you need to look closely as their websites (and other places like their entry on Wikepdia etc) to get a grasp of whether or not they are the sort of places that will suit *you*.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your valuable reply. I understand that at the end it is my preference that matters. I am actually in a fix between St. Andrews and Exeter. All the other factors seems equally appealing to me but if I could have an opinion from job prospects point of view, both during and after the degree it would be great. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Both Exeter & St Andrews are 'good' Universities.

Dont get hung up on the League Tables or 'Employment' stats. League Tables take in heaps of stuff that have no bearing on an undergraduate degree and since 'working in Tescos' is 'employed' then how reliable are the Jobs stats?

Contrary to what you might think, employers dont keep a copy of the League Tables pinned to the back of the office door or hold secret meetings about which degree course has the slightest edge over another. If you get a good class degree (2.1 or a First) from ether Exeter or St Andrews, and relevant practical experience whilst you are at Uni for the work you want to go into, then employers will be interested in you.

As far as work during Uni goes, that's up to you and what you consider doing. Both St Andrews and Exeter are reletively small towns. Whatever work (shops, pubs etc) there is available will be very competitive. There might be IT work for you at either Uni - but you wont be able to identify that until you get there.

ReputationRep:
    Thank u...dis was really of great help!!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.