Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm currently doing AS OCR biology and I'm finding it pretty hard. I got a C on the January exam and I'm aiming for a B but I'm worried about how it gets harder in A2. I have been given the option to drop Biology and do AS & A2 politics in my 2nd year which they think I could do due to there being no January exams next year. This would be good as I feel that I am much better at essay subjects and believe I would do better at politics than biology. However I don't want to drop biology and then think I could hack it or that I can't handle As & A2 politics. I'm aiming to do History at university so Biology, although enjoyable, is not essential.

Advice would really be appreciated, thank you

ReputationRep:
    i would advise sticking with Biology until the end of AS and then if you didn't do well enough to want to carry on with it then you should drop it. If you want to do history at university then politics would be sensible and more useful than Biology.
    I'm in a similar position myself. Im doing Biology AS but I want to do modern languages at university, i got a D in my January AS module for AQA biology despite revising loads and getting Bs on past papers. So i feel the same that Im going to have to drop biology after AS has finished although i find it interesting and enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    First off, the grade boundaries were so close in the January exam, there was only 4 marks in it so C sounds bad but in reality you were at most 8 marks off an A, the majority of my class are doing a re-sit because they were gutted with their marks but they feel like a higher grade is achievable. Secondly, if you feel you're better at essay subjects then drop biology but try stick out the AS, if you do want to go back to it you could always pick it up again at A2 level, nowadays there's a lot of different learning routes.

ReputationRep:
    A2 is a step up, but its more interesting in my opinion.
    Do you June exam and then drop it, you may as well get something for it now a C is better than nothing anyway.
    Good luck and dont give up, many people resit and improve i.e a friend improved by 45 UMS in unit 2 retake and that was from a D to an bang on A.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.