Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 203947

How can I go about finding the distance from C to A? Help please

This is the question:

B is 6cm, on a bearing of 20 degrees from A. C is located on a bearing of 55 degrees from A and on a bearing of 120 degrees from B. Work out the distance of C from A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieW)
    Attachment 203947

How can I go about finding the distance from C to A? Help please

This is the question:

B is 6cm, on a bearing of 20 degrees from A. C is located on a bearing of 55 degrees from A and on a bearing of 120 degrees from B. Work out the distance of C from A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your attachment doesn't display for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    Your attachment doesn't display for me!
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1363895952.439187.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  130.2 KB

Can you see this? If not then I don't know what's wrong :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1363895952.439187.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  130.2 KB

Can you see this? If not then I don't know what's wrong :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You know the angle B, because the lines going up from B and A are parallel, so you should be able to work that out. And then take them away from 180 and you have angle C. Then simply use the sine rule.
    (I should of used a spoiler but I don't know how, sorry)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheldonWannabe)

(I should of used a spoiler but I don't know how, sorry) [sic]
    Spoiler:
    Show

like this

quote me to see the latex

ReputationRep:
    You know the angle B, because the lines going up from B and A are parallel, so you should be able to work that out. And then take them away from 180 and you have angle C. Then simply use the sine rule.
    (I should of used a spoiler but I don't know how, sorry)
    Is angle B 20 degrees or am I just stupid? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well B is just a point - you need to clarify whether you mean angle ABP where P is the intersection of the vertical through B and the line AC, or some other angle.

BTW your diagram is a little skewed - you have the right idea, but your "55 degree" angle is more than a right-angle the way you have drawn it

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're right partially You also have to add on the other 60 degrees, it's hard for you to see that because your diagram is drawn slightly wrong, but if you were to draw a line down from angle ABC, then it would be a total of 180 degrees, but you already have 120, so the rest is 60 degrees, and also add on the 20 degrees from the alternate angle from A... This is hard to explain, hang on, I'll attach a picture to show you...

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This should clarify things...

Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  IMG_0876.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  510.5 KB

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Oh, thank you so much for helping! I understand now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    By the way, I had a nosy at your profile and I saw that you got an A in C1 (I'll be doing the exam this summer), would you mind me asking how you prepped for that exam? Are there any particular resources you'd recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    By the way, I had a nosy at your profile and I saw that you got an A in C1 (I'll be doing the exam this summer), would you mind me asking how you prepped for that exam? Are there any particular resources you'd recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    good question... Well I just focused hard in lesson and took notes (as everyone should), but as we progressed through the course, I made sure I was doing the mixed exercises in the book for the chapter we were doing. (if you're doing edexcel, the mixed exercises in those) And then that made sure I could understand everything and do harder questions, because the book is usually harder than the exam. And then do EVERY single past paper.
    I would say the past papers is the most important part. Sorry for rambling.

ReputationRep:
    good question... Well I just focused hard in lesson and took notes (as everyone should), but as we progressed through the course, I made sure I was doing the mixed exercises in the book for the chapter we were doing. (if you're doing edexcel, the mixed exercises in those) And then that made sure I could understand everything and do harder questions, because the book is usually harder than the exam. And then do EVERY single past paper.
    I would say the past papers is the most important part. Sorry for rambling.
    Yep I'm on Edexcel, thank you for the tips! Haha you didn't ramble, it was helpful anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Yep I'm on Edexcel, thank you for the tips! Haha you didn't ramble, it was helpful anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Understand the hard questions in particular. In the exam, they will try to confuse people, but to be fair, if you're prepared for the harder questions, then the exam will be a walk in the park.

Also for C1, it helps if you're good at mental maths too, or if not, just make sure you can jot numbers down and do calculations on the side of the page.

Do that and what the guy above said and you'll be scoring high ums!

I got 94/100 in jan 11 for C1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    Understand the hard questions in particular. In the exam, they will try to confuse people, but to be fair, if you're prepared for the harder questions, then the exam will be a walk in the park.

Also for C1, it helps if you're good at mental maths too, or if not, just make sure you can jot numbers down and do calculations on the side of the page.

Do that and what the guy above said and you'll be scoring high ums!

I got 94/100 in jan 11 for C1.
    Wow, well done! How did you do for C2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Wow, well done! How did you do for C2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks

C2 was a big disappointment.

74/100 :sad: :sad:

I took that back in June 11 and got thrown by one hard question on that paper, but I'm on my gap year now and I'm 2 ums off an A in maths overall, so I'm gonna be gunning for top marks in C2 to cement my A overall for A-level maths

Another tip in mind, is that when you go through a difficult question in the edexcel textbook, just circle the question, so you know which questions were hard when looking back through the book again (nearer the exam time). This is pretty good, because it ensures you remember the exact questions you found hard and allows you to remember the method for solving it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

C2 was a big disappointment.

74/100 :sad: :sad:

I took that back in June 11 and got thrown by one hard question on that paper, but I'm on my gap year now and I'm 2 ums off an A in maths overall, so I'm gonna be gunning for top marks in C2 to cement my A overall for A-level maths

Another tip in mind, is that when you go through a difficult question in the edexcel textbook, just circle the question, so you know which questions were hard when looking back through the book again (nearer the exam time). This is pretty good, because it ensures you remember the exact questions you found hard and allows you to remember the method for solving it.
    That's still a good B! My first maths exam last Jan was S1 and I was completely destroyed, ended up wth 68/100. I'm doing S1, C1 and C2 this summer, not happy I'm stressing out about how to balance my time.

Thank you for that last tip! That's really helpful actually, I'll definitely keep that in mind

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    That's still a good B! My first maths exam last Jan was S1 and I was completely destroyed, ended up wth 68/100. I'm doing S1, C1 and C2 this summer, not happy I'm stressing out about how to balance my time.

Thank you for that last tip! That's really helpful actually, I'll definitely keep that in mind

Posted from TSR Mobile

The best thing to do really is to devote equal time to each module. Set yourself a target of a chapter per week from the textbook, or maybe two if you want to stretch yourself.

But don't do exam papers too early. Try and get them done about 1 month before the exam. My teachers said that it's not good to 'peak out early' with the papers (otherwise you won't remember it well for the actual exam) if you see my point?

For AS I did S1 as well, it was a right pain, but make sure you know those formulas and know how to apply them. The key to doing well in S1 is to avoid making calculation mistakes. Usually if the first part of the question is done wrong, the error is carrier forward into the remaining parts of the question.

I was extremely vigilant during the S1 exam (june 11), got 84 in it, so was pleased about that.

You planning on doing A2 maths?

ReputationRep:

The best thing to do really is to devote equal time to each module. Set yourself a target of a chapter per week from the textbook, or maybe two if you want to stretch yourself.

But don't do exam papers too early. Try and get them done about 1 month before the exam. My teachers said that it's not good to 'peak out early' with the papers (otherwise you won't remember it well for the actual exam) if you see my point?

For AS I did S1 as well, it was a right pain, but make sure you know those formulas and know how to apply them. The key to doing well in S1 is to avoid making calculation mistakes. Usually if the first part of the question is done wrong, the error is carrier forward into the remaining parts of the question.

I was extremely vigilant during the S1 exam (june 11), got 84 in it, so was pleased about that.

You planning on doing A2 maths?
    I was fairly confident about the S1 exam since I did a lot of work on it, I did every past paper twice and I went in feeling confident. I knew where I went wrong only after I'd left the exam hall, there were questions that threw me because the information I knew just didn't click with the questions if that makes sense. I think I'm more prepared for my resit because I know what to expect. The paper in retrospect was fairly easy, I just did so many careless mistakes and I wasn't thinking properly :/

Yes unfortunately, I don't know how well I'll do in that since maths has never been my strongest subject, but I have to keep doing it. It's obviously going to be so much harder than AS so I'm really quite scared.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I was fairly confident about the S1 exam since I did a lot of work on it, I did every past paper twice and I went in feeling confident. I knew where I went wrong only after I'd left the exam hall, there were questions that threw me because the information I knew just didn't click with the questions if that makes sense. I think I'm more prepared for my resit because I know what to expect. The paper in retrospect was fairly easy, I just did so many careless mistakes and I wasn't thinking properly :/

Yes unfortunately, I don't know how well I'll do in that since maths has never been my strongest subject, but I have to keep doing it. It's obviously going to be so much harder than AS so I'm really quite scared.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, C3 and C4 is a step up from C1 and C2. The concepts will be more harder to understand, but once you've got past that stage, the exam questions will be alright.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.