The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 A Level Maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Meera.S.
Can some one help me, i get between the Q1 and Q3 thing..

which one is the upper/lower Q?

Q1 - LQ
Q2 - Median
Q3 - UQ
IQR (Inter Quartile Range) = UQ minus LQ
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 201
Original post by Salvatore8
the triangle method, only just learnt it recently. its pretty easy once you get your head'round it

Never heard of that :biggrin: Have a look at the method in the book pg 22.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 202
Original post by ZahraI
It's how much something goes up by for every 1. You'll have to put it in reference to the question. eg. if you where looking at how loud something is and the distance it is, y being how loud and x being the distance, 7.7 would be how loud y is per metre of distance. Sorry if that sounds confusing if you told me the scenario they give I'd be able to tell you?

Original post by Air1337
Let's assume we have a regression line for the age of children (x) and the amount of homework they do (y). Then for every 1 year of age, homework increases by 7.7.
thank you so much :smile:
whats the triangle method? help please

Here's an Example, hope it helps! if not dont confuse yourself with it; it takes some time getting used to it
When plotting a regression line, you plot the mean of x & the mean of y, do you also plot the y-intercept so (0,a) ?
Reply 205
When you do a box plot and you calculate the outliers where does the 'whisker' go to the next highest/lowest value or does it go to th value you calculated to be the boundary for an outlier?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 206
Original post by Fortitude
When plotting a regression line, you plot the mean of x & the mean of y, do you also plot the y-intercept so (0,a) ?

No you just do the mean point I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 207
Can some one help me, i get between the Q1 and Q3 thing..

which one is the upper/lower Q?

Q1 is lower quartile with 25% of the data and Q3 is upper quartile with 75% of the data

Posted from TSR Mobile
whats the triangle method? help please

Mistake! I left out the part in blue in the last one!
Original post by jadecross
Never heard of that :biggrin: Have a look at the method in the book pg 22.

thanks, I'll have a look
Original post by Amydx6
When you do a box plot and you calculate the outliers where does the 'whisker' go to the next highest/lowest value or does it go to th value you calculated to be the boundary for an outlier?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The next highest/lowest value. Put a cross on the outlier.
Reply 211
2. (a) State in words the relationship between two events R and S when P(R∩S) = 0
(1)
The events A and B are independent with P(A)=1/4 and P(A∪ B) = 2/3

Find
(b) P(B)

Could someone please explain this to me- i know it is probably very simple. Thankyou
Original post by simonb451
2. (a) State in words the relationship between two events R and S when P(R∩S) = 0
(1)

Find
(b) P(B)

Could someone please explain this to me- i know it is probably very simple. Thankyou

a) think about the different kind of probabilities. Independent, conditional or mutually exclusive.

b) think again as above. Have a look at your formula sheet if you still don't know
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 213
(1)

Find
(b) P(B)

For a) it means that they are mutually exclusive because they cannot happen together.
B) as they are independent you know that P(AnB) = P(A) x P(B)
You also know that P(AuB) = P(A) + P(B) - P(AnB)
Therefore...
P(AuB) = P(A) + P(B) - (P(A) x P(B))
So
2/3 = 1/4 + P(B) - (1/4 P(B))
And then you rearrange it as if P(B) was x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 214
Therefore...
So

Substitution- thank you- the annoying thing is in C1 and C2 im aiming for 90%+ but in stats i do not get higher than about 50. Cant believe it is 2 days away. i went to see my teacher today and she gave me 2 minutes and did not help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amydx6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either is fine. :smile:

Original post by jadecross
i don't understand where the Z is plotted on the diagram (if it is a positive or negative a in this case) e.g. how would i find the value of a if P(Z<a) = 0.0170? :frown:

Drawing a sketch for these is always very helpful.

P(Z < a) = 0.0170

Using symmetry of the curve:

P(Z > z) = 0.0170

P(Z < z) = 1 - 0.0170 = 0.9380

So z = 2.12.

Because P(Z < a) is less than 0.5, a will be negative.

So a = -2.12.

Make sense? :smile:
U guys can u tell me the hardest s1 paper please becoz I want to wanna try it out
Thank u
Reply 217
Therefore...
So

Substitution- thank you- the annoying thing is in C1 and C2 im aiming for 90%+ but in stats i do not get higher than about 50. Cant believe it is 2 days away. i went to see my teacher today and she gave me 2 minutes and did not help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know what you mean I'm doing further maths and stats is holding me back my other marks are above 90% and I was told stats was the easiest... I disagree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by salini1995
U guys can u tell me the hardest s1 paper please becoz I want to wanna try it out
Thank u

Do the most recent 4 papers.
Original post by Salvatore8
what methods do you guys use for interpolation?

I kinds use the one in the book but my own style:biggrin: it just looks much simpler!

EDIT: The lines are missing, great, oh well
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending