The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 A Level Maths

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if S1 solomons help? Because I heard there's S2 in there, and I'm not sure if I should bother with them.
Reply 121
Original post by nukethemaly
Does anyone know if S1 solomons help? Because I heard there's S2 in there, and I'm not sure if I should bother with them.

They most definitely help, I've done up to Solomon K and I have been able to do most of them.
The thing with S1 is that there's so much to learn, but you also have to be careful when answering the questions. Screw up the first part, and the rest of it is messed up.

Not to put pressure on you guys, but if there's one exam you want to get a good grade in first time round, it's S1. Go through the questions in the official textbook (Edexcel) and you'll be ok.

Solomon papers are optional, but you won't do badly if you don't attempt them. I didn't attempt them and got 84/100 back in June 11. But then again, that paper was pretty straight forward, I messed up one worded question.
Does anyone know all the formulas we need to have learnt for S1 Edexcel?
nd has anyone got D1 on friday as well as S1?
Reply 125
Does anyone know s1 calculator tricks?
Original post by science19
How you guys feeling about S1? It's just on Friday... I hate normal distribution... Don't understand it properly :frown:

What don't you understand about it? :smile:
Original post by Cynical_Smile01
You have nothing on me mate: Stats, Decision, Economics, Politics. All 1.5 hours long. 6 hours of exams in one day. That is my Friday. ****ing myself about it.

I'm counting on Stats or Decision. Mechanics was horrid yesterday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best of luck ... Let me know how it goes on > Friday :smile:

~ Good Luck :biggrin:
Original post by That_Clever_Guy

Lucky You!
Original post by Fas
got S1 , not D1 though.

your lucky, im fine with d1 i just really hate s1
Original post by Cynical_Smile01
You have nothing on me mate: Stats, Decision, Economics, Politics. All 1.5 hours long. 6 hours of exams in one day. That is my Friday. ****ing myself about it.

I'm counting on Stats or Decision. Mechanics was horrid yesterday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

and I thought I had it bad, good luck with all that
Reply 131
Original post by James A
The thing with S1 is that there's so much to learn, but you also have to be careful when answering the questions. Screw up the first part, and the rest of it is messed up.

Not to put pressure on you guys, but if there's one exam you want to get a good grade in first time round, it's S1. Go through the questions in the official textbook (Edexcel) and you'll be ok.

Solomon papers are optional, but you won't do badly if you don't attempt them. I didn't attempt them and got 84/100 back in June 11. But then again, that paper was pretty straight forward, I messed up one worded question.

My mark will depend completely on how the questions are worded. I just did the June 2011 past paper and completely made a mess of the final question due to the wording being quite unclear. :redface:
i am actually pretty confident with S1 i just make a few silly mistakes and i have been getting 65+ in all my past papers and yesterday i got 72 which was quite good :smile: histogram questions throw me all the time :smile: and that jan 2013 paper wasn't soo bad but i have to admit the normal distribution one with conditional probability was really weird but theres always going to be one or two questions that throw you :smile: lol about two weeks ago i was terrible at s1 but after a few long nights i can pretty much answer almost every question :smile: good luck everyone
Original post by Salvatore8
Lucky You!

my mate has d1 and s1 on friday LOOL
Reply 134
Could anyone show me what P(A'UB') would look like, getting confused by one of the soloman questions :/
Original post by JAJC
Could anyone show me what P(A'UB') would look like, getting confused by one of the soloman questions :/

firstly - where could i find one of these solomons ?

and P ( A' U B' ) is basically the total of everything outside of A and B i think
Reply 136
(A'UB') would include everything but (A intersection B) since not A would include anything neither in a or b as well as anything that is b but not a - and vice versa thus it would just leave the intersection. If it was P(A' intersection B') then that would be anything that is not in a or b (anything outside the circles).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 137
Original post by Fas
firstly - where could i find one of these solomons ?

and P ( A' U B' ) is basically the total of everything outside of A and B i think

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/Edexcel/Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/Subject%20Sorted/S1/Solomon/

Thanks for the help, i got a friend to show me its basically just the addition rule, just got a little confused due to it being independent aswell
Reply 138
Original post by lebron_23
When working those things out, you have to go by whether or not your answer is an integer value or not.

For example, of there was a sample of 120 students, the middle value would be the 60.5th value, simply because 120/2 is 60 which is a whole number, therefore you need to do the 60th value + the 61st value and divide them by 2.
Similarly, if there were 121 students, you would simply divide by 2 and round up, as 121/2 is 60.5 which is obviously not a whole number.

Super main point: if n/2 is an integer, do the middle value of n and n+1. If n/2 isn't an integer, simply round up and read off that value.

I hope that helps, and guys if I'm not making any sense please tell me and I'll shut up and go to sleep lol. Thanks :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This surely is only the case when the data is discrete though - if you had continuous data n/2 to find the median term is acceptable. <-- same for grouped data.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JAJC
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/Edexcel/Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/Subject%20Sorted/S1/Solomon/

Thanks for the help, i got a friend to show me its basically just the addition rule, just got a little confused due to it being independent aswell

oh yeah it would just be , P(A') + P(B') - P(A' n B ') to work out P ( A' U B' ) right ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending