Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So, I been offered places at some good universities that are quite a while away from home. The dilemma I have is that my mothers ill so she can't work - she can cope with daily activities but isn't well enough to work - if I live in student accommadation will she still get social security or not?

Thanks for any help in advance.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeriousScribble)
    So, I been offered places at some good universities that are quite a while away from home. The dilemma I have is that my mothers ill so she can't work - she can cope with daily activities but isn't well enough to work - if I live in student accommadation will she still get social security or not?

Thanks for any help in advance.
    She should be getting welfare anyway, you living there should make no difference to her welfare entitlements.

ReputationRep:
    Aah ok thank you

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so my mum said she would lose half her family credit if I lived in the student halls - I have one sibling - is that true?

ReputationRep:
    Surely she'd lose it anyway as you'll be over 18?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeriousScribble)
    Ok, so my mum said she would lose half her family credit if I lived in the student halls - I have one sibling - is that true?
    You really need better advice than you're gonna get here. It depends exactly what your mum is claiming. You don't know the full details of that so nobody here can say how it will be affected.

Sent from my GT-S5363
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    If someone receives student finance or any benefits in their own right, their parent can't claim benefits for them.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.