Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...onverts-islam/

As reported.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Schizophrenia is the answer. This dude is just nuts in the medical sense of the word, he might as well start worshipping his own ****, it's strange that they locked him up in a regular prison given the above, a mental institution is a harsher and more fun way of punishing anyone, former Soviet KGB agents would agree.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how much to read into this. Maybe he's vulnerable to persuasion and could be converted to any religion if approached by the right person. I don't think it's fair to draw the conclusion that Islam appeals to the insane from this.

ReputationRep:
    The whole thing is a bit weird and he's clearly insane, I mean what religious motivation would a person have for targeting a cinema anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Probably just attention seeking.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    The insane are well practised at taking things on faith.

ReputationRep:
    With the story's source being 'the national enquirer', I'll say no more.

ReputationRep:
    “He has brainwashed himself into believing he was on his own personal jihad and that his victims were infidels." He has found elements of Islamic teaching that corroborate with his psychotic desires, whether they are meant to be interpreted in that way or not.

ReputationRep:
    A prison source
    Lmao.

ReputationRep:
    A nutter, obsessed with Heath Ledger's Joker style like anarchy. I'm surprised he's taken a step towards any religion really. There tends to be more mindfulness with religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    “He has brainwashed himself into believing he was on his own personal jihad and that his victims were infidels." He has found elements of Islamic teaching that corroborate with his psychotic desires, whether they are meant to be interpreted in that way or not.
    I find that hard to believe. Its not called the religion of piece for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    I certainly would not call it the religion of peace.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing he did the shootings when he wasn't a Muslim, it's hard to blame Islam too much.

People in prison do stuff like this all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he really hates Muslims and he's only become one so people hate them more?

(Original post by Perseveranze)
    Lmao.
    rofl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    Hahahaha... Wait, you're serious?

ReputationRep:
    bazinga!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Algorithm69)
    Figures. Nutters just seem to be drawn to that religion. Or it makes people nutters. Who knows?
    Not like you to say something so baseless and stupid.

Probably just a scheme to try and claim "mentally unstable" to spend less time in prison or have people feel sorry for him. Regardless, the world should remember the crime, but completely forget about the man himself. Otherwise he is just getting the attention he want. I don't believe the shooting was because he was Islamic or partially believed in it at the time.

ReputationRep:
    It's a well known fact, at least in British jails that converting often brings perks such as access to religious facilities / rules surrounding them.

More freedom for the people to do their dodgy deals - it's an annoying loop hole.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.