Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, advice on resits please?!

At GCSEs I got 11 A*s and an A in add. maths so my school is pushing me to look at Oxbridge, but in January modules my results were
    Core 1 96/100
    Bio 1 95/100
    Phys 1 81/90 ... an average A
    Chem 1 74/90 (practicals 60/60UMS) ...quite a low A
    General 100/100

I clearly need to resit Chemistry, but is Physics also too low if I were to apply to Oxbridge? Will univeristies look badly upon retakes, even if the first grade was a (albeit low) A?

Truth is I really don't feel like Oxbridge is a good idea for me considering the sort that go to these unis (consistent 95+% UMS scoring applicants). Would it be a waste of an application? It wouldn't upset me if so, I just don't want to waste any applications on something I haven't a chance at.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    If you were to apply to one of oxbridge then id advise you to apply to oxford. Oxford doesnt see your ums, but cambridge does. I also heard oxford puts more emphasis on gcses too, so that might put you at an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise focusing on June exams, and just getting the best results you can.

ReputationRep:
    If you are considering Oxbridge it's much more than the academics - you really need to make sure the course is what you want - it's quite different to the other med schools, and as Oxford said on their open day "we train scientists not doctors". Also about 50% will have to leave to do their clinical years elsewhere, and there is little patient contact in the first 3 years. It can also be difficult to craft a PS that is sciency enough for Oxbridge whilst also hitting all the marks for your other 3 choices - so be really sure it's what you want and you're not doing it for your school. I also came under similar pressure and in the end resisited - having got a good UKCAT I didn't want to risk the BMAT and potentially blowing a choice. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCubed)
    If you are considering Oxbridge it's much more than the academics - you really need to make sure the course is what you want - it's quite different to the other med schools, and as Oxford said on their open day "we train scientists not doctors". Also about 50% will have to leave to do their clinical years elsewhere, and there is little patient contact in the first 3 years. It can also be difficult to craft a PS that is sciency enough for Oxbridge whilst also hitting all the marks for your other 3 choices - so be really sure it's what you want and you're not doing it for your school. I also came under similar pressure and in the end resisited - having got a good UKCAT I didn't want to risk the BMAT and potentially blowing a choice. Good luck!
    Thanks And can you not sit the BMAT before deciding whether or not to apply to Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty I'd mirror everyone else's statements and say just do the best you can, and see where you're best off applying to afterwards.

The odd resit won't affect your chances, so long as on the whole your high UMS are consistently from the first-sitting. I wouldn't try and resit more than one module. If that means no Cambridge, so be it.

As for Oxbridge in general, as others have pointed out it's very different in teaching style. If you were applying for anything other than medicine I'd encourage you to apply, though it's not necessarily worth the bother with medicine. All medical schools are of the same standard, and there is no real bias upon graduation if you graduate from Oxbridge or from Exeter. A medical degree is a medical degree.

See what you come out with at the end of AS and apply accordingly. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tea&biscuits<3)
    Thanks And can you not sit the BMAT before deciding whether or not to apply to Oxbridge?
    Nope, the BMAT is after the application deadline. Very annoying!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm not sure how much the applications for Oxford medicine work relative to those for other subjects so I can't comment on whether the grades will make an impact on your application for that subject specifically. I can, however, say that doing badly (or actually very well in your case) doesn't mean you aren't cut out to study there. I got AABDE in my AS and resat all but the As. I ended up getting in (for History, less competitive than medicine I'm sure) with AABB and have had a fantastic three years. If you like the course and are willing to work hard there then there's no reason you won't have a great time and do well. A Levels aren't the best indicator for suitability for a certain degree. If the person and the course are right for each other, it'll work. Good luck if you do decide to apply and I hope someone can advise on the importance of ASs in the application for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCubed)
    It can also be difficult to craft a PS that is sciency enough for Oxbridge whilst also hitting all the marks for your other 3 choices
    Oxbridge really don't care about the PS. They both explicitly state no one will ever be rejected based on the PS. Some tutors make a point of not reading them.

The PS should be geared entirely to the other choices.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.