Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    My lad has applied for Medicine. He got four interviews and is presently sitting on 2 offers, one rejection and awaiting a fourth result.
    He knows which his firm choice will be but if he gets another offer then he would probably choose between the other 2 based upon which one would be most likely to admit him if he slipped up and got AABa instead of AAAa. Now he is not likely to do that. He has very healthy cushions in 2 of his A2 subjects and the third he is bang on target but with no cushion or margin for error. The third subject, Chemistry is actually what he considers his strongest subject. Add to that he is working harder than he has ever worked in his life and he should be absolutely fine. A worry is that anyone can have an off day, a migraine, an aberration and the stakes are very high going into the June exams.
    We have heard about a girl last year who got admitted at Cardiff with AAB although she had an extended project qualification which is why they said they admitted her. Also, we heard tales that Liverpool admitted a load of people last year with AAB.
    If everyone who does not make AAA gets rejected then what is the point of an insurance offer in Medicine? Does anyone have stories of AAB admissions and where? I am being pessimistic. It is in my nature. I blame the football team I support for conditioning me to disappointment. :eek:I am sure he will be fine.
    Congratulations to all who have offers and commiserations to those thousands of absolutely superb kids who will have to take a gap year before success comes to them.

ReputationRep:
    I've got 2 offers aswell... I didn't apply to any backup choices so just have 2 offers for medicine. I'm just going to put down my 1st choice as my firm, and put the one i think will be most likely to be lenient with grades if god forbid I don't get AAA. I think its down to the universities discretion if they dont get AAA. I have heard of people getting AAB last year and getting into sheffield. I have a nice cushion in chemistry, but no cushion in biology or physics. So I also need to be bang on (doing 2 resits). The insurance is for another course I believe - for example biochemistry which has a lower grade requirement.

Where does he have offers by the way?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    My friend slipped up and had to take a gap year to retake - he ended up getting A*AB instead of AAA and still got rejected. Luckily his january resits came back good and he's off in September and he's spent the year doing work experience (And earning at the same time!) so it's not so bad for him

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, this probably isn't what you want to hear but I think it's extremely unlikely that anyone would be accepted this year with AAB - the fact that people were getting offers after results day last year implies that they didn't accept offer holders that missed their grades and instead went to their waiting list for those with A*AA / AAA or better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicdad)
    My lad has applied for Medicine. He got four interviews and is presently sitting on 2 offers, one rejection and awaiting a fourth result.
    He knows which his firm choice will be but if he gets another offer then he would probably choose between the other 2 based upon which one would be most likely to admit him if he slipped up and got AABa instead of AAAa. Now he is not likely to do that. He has very healthy cushions in 2 of his A2 subjects and the third he is bang on target but with no cushion or margin for error. The third subject, Chemistry is actually what he considers his strongest subject. Add to that he is working harder than he has ever worked in his life and he should be absolutely fine. A worry is that anyone can have an off day, a migraine, an aberration and the stakes are very high going into the June exams.
    We have heard about a girl last year who got admitted at Cardiff with AAB although she had an extended project qualification which is why they said they admitted her. Also, we heard tales that Liverpool admitted a load of people last year with AAB.
    If everyone who does not make AAA gets rejected then what is the point of an insurance offer in Medicine? Does anyone have stories of AAB admissions and where? I am being pessimistic. It is in my nature. I blame the football team I support for conditioning me to disappointment. :eek:I am sure he will be fine.
    Congratulations to all who have offers and commiserations to those thousands of absolutely superb kids who will have to take a gap year before success comes to them.
    There's a chance that the uni admissions officer may be in a good mood on results day and/or the course was undersubscribed for that year at that particular medical school which would mean he might get in with AAB.

It's rare, but it certainly does happen.

Your son sounds intelligent and focused, tell him to carry on doing what he's been doing so far and to try his best. No one can ask any more of him than that

(Also, do I detect a fellow Gooner? )

ReputationRep:
    It's extremely unlikely you'll be given an offer with less than AAA, they over-offer in the hope that people will not meet them.

ReputationRep:
    In answer to your question, the insurance offer for medicine is only really applicable if one of your offers is A*AA, as is the case for a number of schools this year, and you can have AAA as insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    (Also, do I detect a fellow Gooner? )
    Not quite although I Arsenal are one of a very few teams other than my own that I actually like. Everton being the other as they are managed by our former manager. Both clubs try to do things the right way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yorkshire.lad)
    Where does he have offers by the way?
    It is a tough one although no where near as tough as for the kids who got no interviews or offers. I have chatted to so many kids at the four medical schools we attended for interviews/MMI's/open days. I would have had wanted every one of them if I was in charge. The thing is that he made his four choices after massive research and a huge investment of time and money visiting open days. His four choices were the ones he chose out of 32 medical schools as being right for him. If we get one more offer then we are spoilt for choice and will have to reject one. How ironic after being in the position where we would have been giving high fives and bear hugs just for a single offer way back in October. He is going to firm Sheffield without a doubt. If we get an offer from Liverpool then it will be a straight choice between Liverpool and Lancaster for the insurance. Such an insurance will be of no use whatsoever to him though unless they will accept AAB. I am a hypocrite though as before he got an offer I would have been disappointed at schools accepting AAB when AAA or better students have been rejected. So while I would hope for selfish reasons that they would, I do not think it is fair if they do accept AAB.

I am 99% he will get AAA though. He is doing same subjects as you.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    In addition to the above, it is theoretically possible that they could specify an A in a particular subject(s), which would make taking an AAA insurance logical. Not sure how often this happens.

ReputationRep:
    There are also medical schools making an A*AA offer, I have an A*AA from Birmingham as my firm and AAA as insurance from Cardiff.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all the replies. He is going to firm Sheffield. He now also has offers from Liverpool and Lancaster. Which do you think will be most likely to accept AAB in the unlikely event of a slip up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MTW47)
    Can't imagine that any uni chosen as insurance would give you a place with AAB, imagine they would give the places to those who had firmed with them with AAB first.
    agreed - that's most likely - not a lot of point in an insurance choice after the same grades requirement - just have to hope that one's "firm" choice is in a good mood on results day if there were to be a grade slip-up....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicdad)
    Thank you for all the replies. He is going to firm Sheffield. He now also has offers from Liverpool and Lancaster. Which do you think will be most likely to accept AAB in the unlikely event of a slip up?
    Impossible to predict as it will change year on year depending on how many miss their offer. Lancaster in particular is impossible to predict because they have such a small cohort. He should pick the one he'd rather go to if the option arose rather than trying to play a numbers game.

Congrats to him for getting multiple offers!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.