Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    If Scotland vote to be independent, does that mean they can or will close the boarders and passports will be needed to cross?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    From Britain, probably not. After all, we can travel to the Republic of Ireland without a passport.

ReputationRep:
    with the fat bumbling idiot Alex Salmond in charge all you would need to do to get into Scotland would be recite Mel Gibson's speech from Braveheart while eating Haggis.

ReputationRep:
    If they join the EU, which the probably would, then EU legislation says residents of the EU can travel freely without any form of ID within the EU.

Unless your traveling by aeroplane then ID is needed for security reasons

Hope this answered your question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jckh12)
    If they join the EU, which the probably would, then EU legislation says residents of the EU can travel freely without any form of ID within the EU.

Unless your traveling by aeroplane then ID is needed for security reasons

Hope this answered your question

Eventually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jckh12)
    The UK and Ireland aren't part of the Schengen Area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clessus)
    From Britain, probably not. After all, we can travel to the Republic of Ireland without a passport.
    Ireland is not part of Shengen aswell and there is a bilateral Agreement between the UK and ROI.

President Salmond and the SNP are ignoring to answer questions about the EU issue, he has not thought through this Referendum at all. I hope Scotland remains in the UK which is already part of the EU and Salmond voted out of the Scottish Government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    The UK and Ireland aren't part of the Schengen Area.
    Really! Interesting, thanks for letting me know

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure an independent Scotland would be in the Common Travel Area right from the start. That's the borderless travel agreement between the UK, Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and Mann. Since it has nothing to do with the EU, it wouldn't matter if independent Scotland started off in the EU or not. In fact it joining the EU could cause problems if they are forced to join Schengen. If that happens they would have to put up border controls on the border with England. Although I don't see that happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I'm sure an independent Scotland would be in the Common Travel Area right from the start. That's the borderless travel agreement between the UK, Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and Mann. Since it has nothing to do with the EU, it wouldn't matter if independent Scotland started off in the EU or not. In fact it joining the EU could cause problems if they are forced to join Schengen. If that happens they would have to put up border controls on the border with England. Although I don't see that happening.

Is that a belief or fact?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Is that a belief or fact?
    A belief. I don't think any politician or legal expert has commented on it, but I just think it seems unlikely they'd instantly build border controls up the moment Scotland becomes independent (hypothetically speaking, I don't really believe Scotland will become independent). The Common Travel Area is basically designed for this purpose, since it's already between the UK (plus Crown Dependencies) and the Republic of Ireland.

It is a fact that the Common Travel Area isn't dependent on EU membership though. The crown dependencies aren't in the EU but are in the CTA, and it existed (in some form) before the EU did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    A belief. I don't think any politician or legal expert has commented on it, but I just think it seems unlikely they'd instantly build border controls up the moment Scotland becomes independent (hypothetically speaking, I don't really believe Scotland will become independent). The Common Travel Area is basically designed for this purpose, since it's already between the UK (plus Crown Dependencies) and the Republic of Ireland.

It is a fact that the Common Travel Area isn't dependent on EU membership though. The crown dependencies aren't in the EU but are in the CTA, and it existed (in some form) before the EU did.
    Far enough.

ReputationRep:
    They would not close the borders if they became independent. The SNP knows how important smooth transport links are to the rest of Britain and onward to Europe, requiring a passport to cross the border would make no sense and would cause a lot of damage to their own economy and annoy a lot of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJ_Moose)
    They would not close the borders if they became independent. The SNP knows how important smooth transport links are to the rest of Britain and onward to Europe, requiring a passport to cross the border would make no sense and would cause a lot of damage to their own economy and annoy a lot of people.

I worry about the mentality of some of their more hardcore supporters.

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine a border getting put up if president Salmond decides to put Scotland in the Schengen Area, which isn't in England's interest for it's already highly densely area to become even more densely populated. Of course, Scotland would have to actually be independent for such a thing to happen, which is highly unlikely and hopefully more people in Scotland will vote at their next devolved elections to make the party demographics to accurately represent the political opinions of the population rather than this fake SNP due to lack of interest in the Scottish parliamentary elections.

Common Travel Area is plausible, particularly if the Shetland Islands decide to go independent/English/Scottish overseas/crown territory.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.