The Student Room Group

Not driving after passing your test

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ily_em
I did my lessons because I had the time and had found a cheap instructor. I didn't want to have to spend time learning later when I could just do it then. I haven't been driving because I can't justify the cost of having a car and insurance. I am only home from uni in the holidays and I cycle places instead :smile: also mum doesn't want me on her insurance. That would also cost a lot anyway.

Don't panic you will be fine!

i understand where you are coming from:smile:cars are expensive!and then you also have to think about petrol/gas
Reply 21
Original post by NC
I haven't driven for 4 years since I passed my test! Didn't feel I needed I car till now for work purposes, as I just recently or a job outside London and having a car would cut my journey into work by half...

Posted from TSR Mobile

it is hard when you start working then you need transport.i have also being looking for a job but can only check places that are 5-10 minutes away from me because i dont drive!and depending on people who just do not like doing favours is another issue
Reply 22
People I am a girl so is an automatic transmission better or manual.most of the girls in my family have automatic and since i am not experienced isnt auto better?
Haven't been driving for about 8 months now saying that I might have to wait another 4 months before I get a car

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gorjus
People I am a girl so is an automatic transmission better or manual.most of the girls in my family have automatic and since i am not experienced isnt auto better?

I wouldn't say that your gender should define if you go for manual or automatic. I have always and will always preach that you go for manual if it is at all possible.

So many advantages in life, even if you may end up never using any of them :P

I know the jobs I was applying for that required a full UK drivers license stated it had to be manual, not automatic only.

Once you have your manual license by all means get an automatic if it pleases you. I enjoy driving and love driving manual. Having driven both manual and automatic expensively all I can say is that in an automatic I felt like I was in a go-kart.
Reply 25
Original post by DotDotCurve
I wouldn't say that your gender should define if you go for manual or automatic. I have always and will always preach that you go for manual if it is at all possible.

So many advantages in life, even if you may end up never using any of them :P

I know the jobs I was applying for that required a full UK drivers license stated it had to be manual, not automatic only.

Once you have your manual license by all means get an automatic if it pleases you. I enjoy driving and love driving manual. Having driven both manual and automatic expensively all I can say is that in an automatic I felt like I was in a go-kart.

my family only wants me to drive manual,but i do not know much about cars thats why i wanted answers from my peers.i do not like manual at the moment because i stall but im sure as i experience more i will get better.i always thought auto was better>>>silly me:colondollar:
Original post by gorjus
my family only wants me to drive manual,but i do not know much about cars thats why i wanted answers from my peers.i do not like manual at the moment because i stall but im sure as i experience more i will get better.i always thought auto was better>>>silly me:colondollar:

Don't worry about stalling at all. I just got my new car and I was stalling for the first few days as I was still getting used to the car as each car is slightly different.

Again I would advise persevering with manual, or you could do what I did:

Do some manual lessons, get the basics of gears and levers down. Then switch to automatic to get confident in a car. Once you are confident switch back to manual and you can focus solely on gears without worrying about everything else as you are already confident in all other areas. Worked for me.
Reply 27
Don't worry about stalling at all. I just got my new car and I was stalling for the first few days as I was still getting used to the car as each car is slightly different.

Do some manual lessons, get the basics of gears and levers down. Then switch to automatic to get confident in a car. Once you are confident switch back to manual and you can focus solely on gears without worrying about everything else as you are already confident in all other areas. Worked for me.

I would not mind getting an auto because I have no confidence at all!people keep telling me they dont wanna drive with me cause i stall or they say i cant drive so that threw my confidence out my window.my parents insist for me to get manual and get used to it but at the same time no1 wants to sit with me so im on my own when i stall.its so frustrating having no experience!i hate relying on people.i think the only time i can get an auto is when i have a job and out the house.dont people hoot behind you when u stall?it happened to me a few times and it makes me nervous:mad:
Reply 28

I am fine with gears.Its my clutch control that is bad lol
Maybe he wanted to just get the license because once you've got it that's it you never need to worry about it for the rest of your life then once you have the money get a car and that stuff
Original post by Chadya
It's been nearly 15 months since I passed my test but I've never driven since or had insurance. Will I still be able to keep my full license if I decide a few months from now to get a car?

Testing reply !
Original post by Joehamster9
once you've got it that's it you never need to worry about it for the rest of your life

That's not how it should be. Your licence, in my opinion, should be given on a "use it or lose it" basis, which would include mileage requirements.
Original post by Chadya
It's been nearly 15 months since I passed my test but I've never driven since or had insurance. Will I still be able to keep my full license if I decide a few months from now to get a car?

It was four years between me passing and me driving again. And that was in the US (so on the right), on the interstate, in a van, at night, with no shoes (long story).

It was absolutely fine. I thought I'd struggle with the clutch but didn't at all.

It was then another 3 years before i bought my first car. No issues at all.
Reply 33
Maybe their parents paid for the lessons! What's the big deal?
Reply 34
Original post by Fhp21
Maybe their parents paid for the lessons! What's the big deal?

Did you really need to post this on a 6 year old thread?
Original post by IWMTom
Did you really need to post this on a 6 year old thread?

I was going to say the same thing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending