Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not driving after passing your test Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    I did my lessons because I had the time and had found a cheap instructor. I didn't want to have to spend time learning later when I could just do it then. I haven't been driving because I can't justify the cost of having a car and insurance. I am only home from uni in the holidays and I cycle places instead also mum doesn't want me on her insurance. That would also cost a lot anyway.

Don't panic you will be fine!
    i understand where you are coming fromcars are expensive!and then you also have to think about petrol/gas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NC)
    I haven't driven for 4 years since I passed my test! Didn't feel I needed I car till now for work purposes, as I just recently or a job outside London and having a car would cut my journey into work by half...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    it is hard when you start working then you need transport.i have also being looking for a job but can only check places that are 5-10 minutes away from me because i dont drive!and depending on people who just do not like doing favours is another issue

ReputationRep:
    People I am a girl so is an automatic transmission better or manual.most of the girls in my family have automatic and since i am not experienced isnt auto better?

ReputationRep:
    Haven't been driving for about 8 months now saying that I might have to wait another 4 months before I get a car

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gorjus)
    People I am a girl so is an automatic transmission better or manual.most of the girls in my family have automatic and since i am not experienced isnt auto better?
    I wouldn't say that your gender should define if you go for manual or automatic. I have always and will always preach that you go for manual if it is at all possible.

So many advantages in life, even if you may end up never using any of them :P

I know the jobs I was applying for that required a full UK drivers license stated it had to be manual, not automatic only.

Once you have your manual license by all means get an automatic if it pleases you. I enjoy driving and love driving manual. Having driven both manual and automatic expensively all I can say is that in an automatic I felt like I was in a go-kart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DotDotCurve)
    I wouldn't say that your gender should define if you go for manual or automatic. I have always and will always preach that you go for manual if it is at all possible.

So many advantages in life, even if you may end up never using any of them :P

I know the jobs I was applying for that required a full UK drivers license stated it had to be manual, not automatic only.

Once you have your manual license by all means get an automatic if it pleases you. I enjoy driving and love driving manual. Having driven both manual and automatic expensively all I can say is that in an automatic I felt like I was in a go-kart.
    my family only wants me to drive manual,but i do not know much about cars thats why i wanted answers from my peers.i do not like manual at the moment because i stall but im sure as i experience more i will get better.i always thought auto was better>>>silly me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gorjus)
    my family only wants me to drive manual,but i do not know much about cars thats why i wanted answers from my peers.i do not like manual at the moment because i stall but im sure as i experience more i will get better.i always thought auto was better>>>silly me
    Don't worry about stalling at all. I just got my new car and I was stalling for the first few days as I was still getting used to the car as each car is slightly different.

Again I would advise persevering with manual, or you could do what I did:

Do some manual lessons, get the basics of gears and levers down. Then switch to automatic to get confident in a car. Once you are confident switch back to manual and you can focus solely on gears without worrying about everything else as you are already confident in all other areas. Worked for me.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about stalling at all. I just got my new car and I was stalling for the first few days as I was still getting used to the car as each car is slightly different.

Do some manual lessons, get the basics of gears and levers down. Then switch to automatic to get confident in a car. Once you are confident switch back to manual and you can focus solely on gears without worrying about everything else as you are already confident in all other areas. Worked for me.
    I would not mind getting an auto because I have no confidence at all!people keep telling me they dont wanna drive with me cause i stall or they say i cant drive so that threw my confidence out my window.my parents insist for me to get manual and get used to it but at the same time no1 wants to sit with me so im on my own when i stall.its so frustrating having no experience!i hate relying on people.i think the only time i can get an auto is when i have a job and out the house.dont people hoot behind you when u stall?it happened to me a few times and it makes me nervous:mad:

ReputationRep:

I am fine with gears.Its my clutch control that is bad lol

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he wanted to just get the license because once you've got it that's it you never need to worry about it for the rest of your life then once you have the money get a car and that stuff

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.