Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have offers for Economics at Cambridge and UCL and whilst its nice to have the Cambridge offer I really dislike the whole place. Supervisions, the place etc. its just not for me. I like economics but am no means passionate about it... prefer to get the work done then relax..I'll shamefully admit I rarely read around the subject :rolleyes:

I much prefer UCL but the problem is will UCL get me a job in finance ?
    And its pretty likely having a degree from Cambridge will earn a higher starting salary but does anyone have an idea of how much of a headstart this is ? (looked online but found little)

I guess I'm really asking what the 'value' of an Oxbridge degree is ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaiGunner)
    I like economics but am no means passionate about it... prefer to get the work done then relax..I'll shamefully admit I rarely read around the subject :rolleyes:
    wow looks like the admissions process really worked out here :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wow! The two unis i want to apply for to study eco next year. Could i ask how ur interviews and how you got an offer from camridge if ur not so passionate about it? You must be amazing i really want to study economics at cambridge. Whats the difference between the course at ucl and at cambridge apart from the supervisions?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    wow looks like the admissions process really worked out here :rolleyes:
    tell me about it

they asked no economics though lol

ReputationRep:
    tell me about it

they asked no economics though lol
    wait, what? they asked you nothing about economics in your interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiirankapoor)
    Wow! The two unis i want to apply for to study eco next year. Could i ask how ur interviews and how you got an offer from camridge if ur not so passionate about it? You must be amazing i really want to study economics at cambridge. Whats the difference between the course at ucl and at cambridge apart from the supervisions?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

they asked me no economics questions,just logic questions and well the interview went awful. Came out there thinking I've blown it oh well.

UCL offers the chance to study 'electives' which are essentially modules totally different to economics.. ie. a physics module or a biology module. I quite like that. Cambridge Im assuming is more fast paced also.

Can I ask whats driving you to want to study at Cambridge ?

ReputationRep:
    wait, what? they asked you nothing about economics in your interview?

Nope apart from a single question on a book I read.

ReputationRep:
    Nope apart from a single question on a book I read.
    wow. what else did they ask you then?

ReputationRep:
    wow. what else did they ask you then?
    logic questions with a bit of maths involved

ReputationRep:
    logic questions with a bit of maths involved
    fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, congratulations on your offers!

I would like to highlight the fact that both Cambridge and UCL are in the top six target universities top financial firms; you will be able to make it in the industry, providing you are the right candidate. Also, while particularly Economics at Cambridge is fantastic for graduate prospects (as are most, if not all, Oxbridge courses), remember that Oxbridge students are typically encouraged to continue their subject, whereas the other universities in the top six, namely LSE, Warwick, Imperial and UCL are far more career orientated (perhaps allowing you to find internships far more easily, for example).

Providing you have top grades and an excellent CV, obtain a quantitative degree from a target university, and possess a talent for financial markets, you'll be very likely to land a position at a top firm.

Therefore, choose the university where you will be happy at for three/four years of your life! Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo Ferrari)
    Firstly, congratulations on your offers!

I would like to highlight the fact that both Cambridge and UCL are in the top six target universities top financial firms; you will be able to make it in the industry, providing you are the right candidate. Also, while particularly Economics at Cambridge is fantastic for graduate prospects (as are most, if not all, Oxbridge courses), remember that Oxbridge students are typically encouraged to continue their subject, whereas the other universities in the top six, namely LSE, Warwick, Imperial and UCL are far more career orientated (perhaps allowing you to find internships far more easily, for example).

Providing you have top grades and an excellent CV, obtain a quantitative degree from a target university, and possess a talent for financial markets, you'll be very likely to land a position at a top firm.

Therefore, choose the university where you will be happy at for three/four years of your life! Good luck.
    Thank you hadnt thought about it like that ..certainly true that Oxbridge tend to favour a focus on academia as oppose to careers in the city

ReputationRep:
    Lol, my interviews were full of economics questions. However, I firmed Cambridge and insured LSE, but I'd never ever think of firming UCL instead of Cambridge. If you want to get into IB at GS, JPM or the like, then take Cambridge, although I wouldn't say that it is very unlikely to get a well-paid job in finance with a UCL degree!

ReputationRep:
    Still confused ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandin)
    Lol, my interviews were full of economics questions. However, I firmed Cambridge and insured LSE, but I'd never ever think of firming UCL instead of Cambridge. If you want to get into IB at GS, JPM or the like, then take Cambridge, although I wouldn't say that it is very unlikely to get a well-paid job in finance with a UCL degree!
    Lse and ucl are pretty much the same now in two of getting into finance

IB isn't what I'm going for though ...hours and stress put me off
    (Ironic since most of the jobs in finance are like that but IB is worse )

ReputationRep:
    Both offers are amazing first of all
    But there's a couple of ways of looking at it. An example I know of is Goldman Sachs. They have a filter for applicants which separates candidates based upon their University, Course and Grade. If they have a surplus of applicants from Oxbridge, they don't tend to consider Imperial, UCL, Warwick etc students unless they are OUTSTANDING.

So basically, my advice is take Cambridge. Although it may not seem like it, there are other Cambridge offer holders who feel the same way! Often the 'economist addict' is just a façade till the interview is over :P You're obviously smart enough (you got into Cambridge and UCL :P) so the daunting nature of Cambridge will wear off soon :P

ReputationRep:
    First off, Awesome job, well done and congrats on those offers

Both Uni's have there Benefits and drawbacks I suppose. UCL is in central London which is incredible for social reasons but it can get a little much being around it all the time.

Cambridge is not particularly social with regard to the town but it's lovely non the less.

I think, academical speaking, Cambridge University would be the first choice and Unfortunately, Many employers, aspecially in the world f economics would snap up the name Cambridge before UCL (Just about, UCL is still an academic heavyweight).

And Cambridge has had many years to practice making the most of social stuff. It's a bubble for sure, but it's a fun and active little bubble (From what I have heard).

I guess it's up to you, think about all these factors and make a really considered decision. Don't let the name make you choose Cambridge, however, don't throwaway a one in a lifetime chance to head to Cambridge lol.

Best of luck.

P.S - I would pick Cambridge straight up.

ReputationRep:
    I certainly agree Cambridge would give me a big advantage job wise
    But then I think about spending 3 years there all for a future job that I could get at UCL all be it with more work and perhaps a slightly lower salary ..

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have offers for Economics at Cambridge and UCL and whilst its nice to have the Cambridge offer I really dislike the whole place. Supervisions, the place etc. its just not for me. I like economics but am no means passionate about it... prefer to get the work done then relax..I'll shamefully admit I rarely read around the subject

I much prefer UCL but the problem is will UCL get me a job in finance ?
    And its pretty likely having a degree from Cambridge will earn a higher starting salary but does anyone have an idea of how much of a headstart this is ? (looked online but found little)

I guess I'm really asking what the 'value' of an Oxbridge degree is ..
    A difficult one indeed!

On similar discussions, many have said happiness is a key factor in your success.

So supposing for argument sake, you ended up with "only" a 2:1 or maybe even a 2:2 from Cambridge as opposed to a 1st from UCL.

How would employers see that?

On the name alone, certainly it should be Cambridge but taking all factors into account, .....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuerin)
    Here are the official statistics on both the courses.

http://unistats.com/Subjects/Overvie...eturnTo/Search

http://unistats.com/Subjects/Overvie...eturnTo/Search

Cambridge seems to have a higher starting salary after 6 months, but the employment rate is equal as is the professional/managerial job vs unprofessional/managerial job ratio. The salaries after 40 months are equal (in fact, UCL's range is 1k larger at the top end). There are plenty of other things to consider though, like the percentage of firsts/2:1s, how much is assessed through coursework/written exams, satisfaction with student union, etc. etc. Hope this helps.

Wow
    Thank you very much !

I'll take a look at these stats

If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.