Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask why you applied to Cambridge if you didn't like the course or the uni? (It's fine if you only applied because you felt pressured/just wanted to see if you got in - it's the same for me).

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, but with Oxford and a different course - my main deciding factors for me were the fact that I don't think I can really afford to live in London, and I also love Oxford as a place. Have you considered the financial aspects?

Also, are you planning to undertake internships/work experience during your degree? UCL will have very good career based contacts, and living in London means that you are close to these opportunities. I don't know how much time you'll have available for this, but maybe get in contact with a current UCL student? Basically, if you can get good work experience during your study at UCL, this can potentially outweigh the benefits of studying at Cambridge.

Remember that studying somewhere you really don't like (and somewhere that is likely to be quite intense and stressful) can really demotivate you and lead to a lower degree. Maybe consider whether you work well under these conditions?

At the end of the day you have to do what's right for you - don't feel pressured into going somewhere you won't be happy just because you are influenced by those that are seduced by Cambridge's status/reputation. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roflcakes1)
    Can I ask why you applied to Cambridge if you didn't like the course or the uni? (It's fine if you only applied because you felt pressured/just wanted to see if you got in - it's the same for me).

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, but with Oxford and a different course - my main deciding factors for me were the fact that I don't think I can really afford to live in London, and I also love Oxford as a place. Have you considered the financial aspects?

Also, are you planning to undertake internships/work experience during your degree? UCL will have very good career based contacts, and living in London means that you are close to these opportunities. I don't know how much time you'll have available for this, but maybe get in contact with a current UCL student? Basically, if you can get good work experience during your study at UCL, this can potentially outweigh the benefits of studying at Cambridge.

Remember that studying somewhere you really don't like (and somewhere that is likely to be quite intense and stressful) can really demotivate you and lead to a lower degree. Maybe consider whether you work well under these conditions?

At the end of the day you have to do what's right for you - don't feel pressured into going somewhere you won't be happy just because you are influenced by those that are seduced by Cambridge's status/reputation. Good luck!
    Yup I was kind of pushed into it by my parents and my school really suggested it to.
    Financially it will cost more I understand.

I see you really Oxford as a place ..that's wonderful I wish you all the best there
    I wish I could like Cambridge lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaiGunner)
    Yup I was kind of pushed into it by my parents and my school really suggested it to.
    Financially it will cost more I understand.

I see you really Oxford as a place ..that's wonderful I wish you all the best there
    I wish I could like Cambridge lol
    Toss coin, do well in either and swap afterwards, ie do postgraduate studies in the one you rejected this time.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.