Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

During my application for sixth form, I listed my options as;

1) Maths
    2) Chemistry
    3) Sociology
    4) English Literature

but after discovering that the skills I would gain from Literature can be learnt in Media, I want to switch as I preferred media GCSE to Literature. Is this a good combination to have what the head of my schools sixth form calls 'soft' subjects twice on my list as Sociology and Media or should I ignore what he says and do the subjects that I am more likely to enjoy. Also, can anyone give me any preparation information for A levels as I am dreading the transition from GCSE -> A Levels. Information on things like what to buy and how to effectively take notes, down to things like what to do in free periods if I don't have work or hobbies.

Many Thanks
    AdvancedNothing

ReputationRep:
    Hi

My A levels were:
    English Lit
    Media
    History
    French - dropped after AS

Firstly think about what course and uni you want to go to, research around what they expect from you then it should help your decision. I did find some overlap with English and Media but overall I thought they were different enough but it depends on what board you are with and then what you will essentially study in those subjects. If you were to consider not taking 'soft subjects' what would you take instead? Sometimes it is better to do what you enjoy if you are willing to put the work in.
    The jump from GCSE to A levels is HUGE. I would say bigger than A level to Uni (but that's just me) The following advice all depends on what kind of student you are in general but I would say:
    - Be prepared to do A LOT of work on your own but also listen hard and make use of your teachers.
    - Do LOTS of exam questions and past papers and get them marked with proper feedback
    - Be really familiar with the format and style of the exam paper/question
    -Work super hard in year 12 so that year 13 will be a little easier
    - Do have fun in year 12, go out on some free periods but remember they are essentially designed for you to do that all important independent work/revision
    -Revision starts from the first lesson. Revise as you go along, don't leave it until a month or so before the exam. Constantly be familiar with what you are learning
    - Read ahead of the lesson as the lessons will be soooo much more useful as you will know what's going on and will be able to ask or clarify anything you were unsure of
    - Buy a separate folder for each subject and dividers for each topic (That's what I did)
    -In terms of taking notes - if something is on a powerpoint, ask your teacher if they can put up the powerpoint online somehow allowing you to listen more carefully to what the teacher is saying as they will say some important things too that you wont be able to hear again.

Sorry if that advice was all over the place, I just wrote whatever came to me. Any further questions or areas you want to talk about feel free to ask - Hope this helped and good luck!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.