The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

The Vale or Pritchatt's Park?

Okay, so I've heard the majority of students live on the vale, and as I have firmed Birmingham I'm in the process of choosing accommodation. I initially thought I would stay on the vale, but looking at accommodation at Pritchatts it seems that you get a lot nicer accommodation for less money? As money is an issue for me :-/. But to be honest I'd rather go to a less nice place and spend more if it had a better atmosphere/was more social. Can anyone give me their opinion on this? Many thanks xxx
I'm not sure if you've been there in person, but the vale is pretty decent! Yeah it's pretty expensive (given the exception of Maple Bank) but you definitely get what you pay for.. There's an open day on April 20th aswell if you haven't been yet. Probably a bias choice, but the vale's where it's at :smile: Though I doubt you'll be socially excluded wherever you go :tongue:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Thanks :-) My top 3 choices will defo be at the vale, but I can't afford to put something as Shackleton as an option tbh haha. Cheers for the reply! x
Reply 3
Everyone thinks you've got to be on the Vale before they move in! It gets over-subscribed every year. So the people who don't get in are very upset for a little bit. Then they go wherever else they were allocated and have a brilliant time. It's only has the largest proportion of first years in halls. Lots of other options, so choose what offers the best for you, but don't think you need to be on the Vale, and don't be too distraught over the one you're given!
Original post by uob
Everyone thinks you've got to be on the Vale before they move in! It gets over-subscribed every year. So the people who don't get in are very upset for a little bit. Then they go wherever else they were allocated and have a brilliant time. It's only has the largest proportion of first years in halls. Lots of other options, so choose what offers the best for you, but don't think you need to be on the Vale, and don't be too distraught over the one you're given!

Glad to help :smile: and from what I've heard I totally agree with this guy too^
Yeah I agree with whats said above, the living taster day will be a good indication of where you'd like to live, but defo apply asap as you can change your mind later but then you have your place in the 'invisible que' :smile:
So
Original post by DomRusky
Glad to help :smile: and from what I've heard I totally agree with this guy too^

What subject you studying and where you applied to for accomm?

Original post by S-Angel
Thanks :-) My top 3 choices will defo be at the vale, but I can't afford to put something as Shackleton as an option tbh haha. Cheers for the reply! x

Sane Q's where you applied and have you decided your accomm then?

Btw guys come join the FB Brum firmers group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/483711428342198/
Original post by Beth_Armitage
Yeah I agree with whats said above, the living taster day will be a good indication of where you'd like to live, but defo apply asap as you can change your mind later but then you have your place in the 'invisible que' :smile:
So

What subject you studying and where you applied to for accomm?

Sane Q's where you applied and have you decided your accomm then?

Btw guys come join the FB Brum firmers group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/483711428342198/

Money, Banking & Finance (Economics) and Elgar Court first w/Mason second

Although the cost of Mason and its reputation kinda has me a bit reluctant to be put there now! Wbu?
Money, Banking & Finance (Economics) and Elgar Court first w/Mason second

Although the cost of Mason and its reputation kinda has me a bit reluctant to be put there now! Wbu?

I've applied for shared, self catered, tennis courts as first & seeing as I applied on the first day it came out to be frank 'I bloody well hope I get my first choice'...ok rant over :wink: Applied to study law need AAA ugh :/ What grades you need? Yeah lots of people apparently applied for mason so your not alone!
I've applied for shared, self catered, tennis courts as first & seeing as I applied on the first day it came out to be frank 'I bloody well hope I get my first choice'...ok rant over :wink: Applied to study law need AAA ugh :/ What grades you need? Yeah lots of people apparently applied for mason so your not alone!

Haha same, I was straight in so if I'm not in elgar I'll definitely be wondering why.. Well it was AAA, then they said because I do 4 A2's it could be AAA or AABB, then on my Jan results day they sent me an unconditional! And it's not that I won't be alone, it's just got a reputation for posh tots and horse-owners, not up for that!
Haha same, I was straight in so if I'm not in elgar I'll definitely be wondering why.. Well it was AAA, then they said because I do 4 A2's it could be AAA or AABB, then on my Jan results day they sent me an unconditional! And it's not that I won't be alone, it's just got a reputation for posh tots and horse-owners, not up for that!

Congrats on your unconditional it'll put your stress at ease I'm sure :smile: I wish they'd tell me I can get AABB instead of AAA as I do 4 A levels as well (plus general studies but its so annoying and pointless we don't include that aha)
I know what you mean with mason, it may have that reputation but I'm sure in all the accomm there are loads of nice people. Personally I like to think of myself as down to earth and someone who will need a part time job so mason and me might not quite get on :wink:
You live far from Brum? I'm moving down from Yorkshire so a proper northern lass aiming at teaching the Birmingham lot a yorkshire expression or too aha
Congrats on your unconditional it'll put your stress at ease I'm sure :smile: I wish they'd tell me I can get AABB instead of AAA as I do 4 A levels as well (plus general studies but its so annoying and pointless we don't include that aha)
I know what you mean with mason, it may have that reputation but I'm sure in all the accomm there are loads of nice people. Personally I like to think of myself as down to earth and someone who will need a part time job so mason and me might not quite get on :wink:
You live far from Brum? I'm moving down from Yorkshire so a proper northern lass aiming at teaching the Birmingham lot a yorkshire expression or too aha

Cheers! :smile: and yeah definitely, but I'm such a perfectionist so I still have to perform haha. Credit to you for doing 4 though, and general studies! Nah I'm about an hour away, near nottingham, I'm just dreading if I pick up the accent! Have you got twitter of fb? Just feel this is going off topic here and don't want to spam :tongue:
Cheers! :smile: and yeah definitely, but I'm such a perfectionist so I still have to perform haha. Credit to you for doing 4 though, and general studies! Nah I'm about an hour away, near nottingham, I'm just dreading if I pick up the accent! Have you got twitter of fb? Just feel this is going off topic here and don't want to spam :tongue:

Haha well thats good that you'll still try and get amaze grades despite having an unconditional. Yeah maybe slight mistake doing 4 subjects (esp all essay based, so many words!) & at our college unfortuantly its compulsary to do general studies :/ Ah thats not too far then nice distance, think its bout 2 hr train journey for me down there. Haha can you imagine a mix of yorkshire and Brum accent...yea...no way am I picking up the accent especially if I want to go into law. Yeah thats always me going off topic, I'll add you on FB :smile: You joined the firmers group?
Reply 12
No one worry about picking up an accent! Basically everyone you hear doesn't have it.
i put down tennis court (in ensuite, then not etc), mason, then maple bank as last choice.......

i may change them later though.........:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest