The Student Room Group

C2 Maths help with trigonometric functions

I'm stuck on this question hopefully somone can help and give me a hint or idea on how to work it out
Sin^2(x+pi/6)=1/2 For -pi<x<pi
Should i expand the brackets?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
No you can't because if you did you will actually be adding up the squares of sinx and sin(pie/6). where as the question states that the the square of the sin of the angle x+pie/6 = 1/2
(edited 11 years ago)
Pi not pie.

:angry:
Original post by washdog
I'm stuck on this question hopefully somone can help and give me a hint or idea on how to work it out
Sin^2(x+pie/6)=1/2 For -pie<x<pie
Should i expand the brackets?

Make a substitution u=x+π6u=x+\frac{\pi}{6} and then take the square root of each side. Don't forget the plus or minus sign.
Reply 4
Thanks i will try this now i dont need to use this then (the unit circle rule sin(pi/6)=1/2,) and sorry for saying pie when its pi( My bad) :P
Original post by Mr M
Pi not pie.

:angry:

πe\pi e :sexface:
Original post by Felix Felicis
πe\pi e :sexface:

I actually asked one of these pie bandits if they meant πe\pi e last week. They didn't.
Original post by Mr M
I actually asked one of these pie bandits if they meant πe\pi e last week. They didn't.

Uncultured hooligans :colone:
Reply 8
So i now get Sin(u)= + or - root2/2 do i then go sin = + or - root2/2/X+pi/6
Original post by washdog
So i now get Sin(u)= + or - root2/2 do i then go sin = + or - root2/2/X+pi/6

Take the arcsin and use your normal technique to find the values of u. Now subtract pi/6 from each answer to find x.
Reply 10
Thank you very much I got x = 1/12 Pi or -5/12 pi
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by washdog
Thank you very much I got x = 1/12 Pi or 5/12 pi

You have lost 2 solutions. You should get 2 answers from the positive root and 2 from the negative root.
Reply 12
Oh yh i did - 11/12 pi and - 7/12 pi :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest