Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in year 12 now and i'm doing chemistry, biology, english lit and classics (soo varied i know) and i want to know if i could apply and get on a chem course at a Russell group uni.

i'm aware a chemistry degree does entail physics and maths but the only reason i'm not doing them at the moment is due to the fact i don't particularly enjoy them (although i understand them and can do them) so i decided to swap. i know many ask for maths at a level but i do see a lot that dont require it.

in my january exams i got two As in chem and bio and in all my mocks for every subject i'm on As so i should be getting 6 As at AS (general studies and critical thinking )

would it be advisable to pick up maths as level next year? i'm only nervous about doing so if i dont do well because ill lack so much confidence! (i got an A* in maths and physics at gcse if thats any worth but not likely)

sorry for rambling, i'm just panicking about it haha

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seanbolton94)
    Hi, I'm in year 12 now and i'm doing chemistry, biology, english lit and classics (soo varied i know) and i want to know if i could apply and get on a chem course at a Russell group uni.

i'm aware a chemistry degree does entail physics and maths but the only reason i'm not doing them at the moment is due to the fact i don't particularly enjoy them (although i understand them and can do them) so i decided to swap. i know many ask for maths at a level but i do see a lot that dont require it.

in my january exams i got two As in chem and bio and in all my mocks for every subject i'm on As so i should be getting 6 As at AS (general studies and critical thinking )

would it be advisable to pick up maths as level next year? i'm only nervous about doing so if i dont do well because ill lack so much confidence! (i got an A* in maths and physics at gcse if thats any worth but not likely)

thanks
    I did biology, chemistry, maths and german to AS. Dropped maths after AS because I did awful. Still got 5 offers for chemistry - UEA,UCL, Sheffield, York and MMU. About 25% of my year are doing the maths course for those who don't have maths to A level, quite a few dropped maths after GCSE and are still doing fine.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seanbolton94)

thanks

Hi seanbolton94

I think it would really depend on the university you are looking at attending, as for example we ask you to have ABB at A-Level to include Chemistry and one other science which you are doing, so it probably wouldn't be worth taking up the AS Maths next year, you may aswell concentrate on getting the best grades you can in your other subjects.

If you check university websites and have a look at the entry requirements for Chemistry they will tell you whether they want you to have Maths as sometimes we do ask for at least an AS level in some subjects, but not in this case.

If the university doesn't ask for it, it can be beneficial as it shows you are a committed student, but a lot of the time it wouldn't make a difference as if you meet the entry requirements.

Hope this helps!

Hannah

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.