The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Studio for first year

Can anyone share their experiences living in a single studio at either Grizedale or County. As a mature, very independent student this is something I am considering for my first year in September 2013. I hate noise and I'm quite happy to live on my own.

Do you have any pictures of a single studio?

PS: I'm not unsociable or especially introverted. I just like to have my own place to escape to. I can't see this being easy in a shared flat.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
*bump

Surely somebody can give me some info on what life is like in studio accomodation?

I can't find single studio pics on the facebook page or the university website.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Being a County boy for 4 years I can safely say I never knew we had studios, we have family flats but in regards to studios I really couldn't help you on the ins and outs. In regards to location, all county accommodation is pretty much together at the north end of campus so it's not going to be noisy but then again it's not exactly going to be quiet either. Whether a young or mature student if you are planning to live on campus I always recommend living in flats with others because it all adds to the experience and is a way to meet people for living with off campus next year. University can be very lonely if you let it.

If you wanted more information about the studio flats I would ask the university directly as they maybe able to get a tour round one sorted for you.

Any more questions, just yell.

Pete

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I was thinking about a studio because I don't want to be in a situation where my home for the year is a nightmare and I don't get along with my flatmates because they are childish or inconsiderate. I had no problem making friends with 18 or 19 year olds at college but then I could go to my own house at night rather than to halls. Having lived by myself for many years this would be quite a culture shock. Maybe my fears are unfounded but I have this image of living in some sort of 24/7 party environment or perhaps I have watched too many Hollywood teen movies?
Original post by Rick Grimes
I was thinking about a studio because I don't want to be in a situation where my home for the year is a nightmare and I don't get along with my flatmates because they are childish or inconsiderate. I had no problem making friends with 18 or 19 year olds at college but then I could go to my own house at night rather than to halls. Having lived by myself for many years this would be quite a culture shock. Maybe my fears are unfounded but I have this image of living in some sort of 24/7 party environment or perhaps I have watched too many Hollywood teen movies?

Hi there mate

First off, Grizedale is the best college! Choose that one!

Secondly, I think maybe your ideas about student live are a little bit unfounded. I lived in a grizedale townhouse, and I will admit, they are infamous for being super sociable and quite a few of them have house parties from time to time. They also tend to have the more out-going people in them. From personal experience, the kitchens can also get pretty messy in them if you don't keep on top of it.

I would recommend ensuite accom in grizedale to you. I was a freshers rep last year for that accom and in one of my flats was a mature student who really liked it. You get your own bathroom, and a kitchen for six people, which has cleaners a few times a week. The students in these accommodation as a general rule are less party like too.. in fact a big chunk of people who live in ensuite are international students that tend to rarely go out or make lots of noise, so if you're worried about noise then this might be a good choice.

I've visited the studio accom and I personally couldn't do it. For one it's very expensive for what it is. Two, the rooms are nice and quite big, but having a kitchen right next to your bed... nah I couldn't. Also I think they're quite lonely. But then again it;s up to you at the end of the day.

I really would give it a go at living in ensuite and see if you like it. It's a lot more sociable and I think you'll find that despite most students going crazy in freshers week, students are considerate of people's personal space, noise etc... From April until June for exams there' quite period anyways, when no noise can be made after 11pm otherwise people get fined by the porters.

If there are big issues with you not being happy in your accom in the first few weeks there is normally space for you to move. I know last ocotber of a few people that switched for various reasons.

Photos of all accom can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/LUAccommodation?fref=ts

Any other questions about accom or Grizedale than just quote me back.
Hope I've helped.
Original post by Rick Grimes
*bump

Surely somebody can give me some info on what life is like in studio accomodation?

I can't find single studio pics on the facebook page or the university website.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=498791366848855&set=pb.162936613767667.-2207520000.1365904362&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=498791166848875&set=pb.162936613767667.-2207520000.1365904362&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=498791346848857&set=pb.162936613767667.-2207520000.1365904362&type=3&theater

That;s double studio... I'm not sure if single studio exists... if it does it will be exactly the same decor but slightly smaller with smaller bed. All uni accom has the same decor / furniture it's all being refurbed to the same standard
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks hazzypants and PeteG. You make the ensuite sound more promising.

Quick Reply