Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Issues with concentration....normal? Watch

I've been depressed about 6 years and during that time I also developed psychosis, as a consequence of both of these I've had real issues with my concentration. I'm working my way through the tv series Dexter and the episodes are an hour long - way way too long for me to concentrate, so I normally watch in 3 or 4 parts. Also during this time I've been at university and my concentration issues made this extremely hard, I got a crappy grade in the end.

Anyway, my depression and psychosis are a lot improved but I'm still having really big issues with concentration. I find it difficult to follow debates on tv, I easily lose track of conversations, I can't read newspapers, I can't watch whole movies or tv shows, even cartoons are difficult to follow.

I was wondering is this normal for someone like me? Is there anything I can do to improve this? Any help would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Well depression can be caused by imbalances of serotonin - the chemical that regulates mood, sleep, eating and... wait for it... concentration. So yes, it's very normal. Go to your doctor - you might benefit from antidepressants (which specifically regulate serotonin) though remember they come with often nasty side effects.

If you don't want to take antidepressants (or already do - i assume you've considered it already since you've been depressed for 6 years), try doing something besides your ordinary activities - you mentioned watching tv, movies, newspapers. Have you tried being more active? Maybe take up a sport if you haven't already. Also, try and spend time in nature (preferably with company). It's very healing.

Good luck

(Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood)
    Well depression can be caused by imbalances of serotonin - the chemical that regulates mood, sleep, eating and... wait for it... concentration. So yes, it's very normal. Go to your doctor - you might benefit from antidepressants (which specifically regulate serotonin) though remember they come with often nasty side effects.

If you don't want to take antidepressants (or already do - i assume you've considered it already since you've been depressed for 6 years), try doing something besides your ordinary activities - you mentioned watching tv, movies, newspapers. Have you tried being more active? Maybe take up a sport if you haven't already. Also, try and spend time in nature (preferably with company). It's very healing.

Good luck
    Thanks for the post.

I am on antidepressants and have tried quite a few different ones but none have helped to increase my concentration so that route is already taken.

I also go to the gym often and am on a sports team so I do that too as well as sometimes playing sports with my friends, but even doing that I can't concentrate too well. When the coach goes over strategies or drills I find it really difficult to follow so I never know what to do and look like an idiot. When I'm playing I can't get in "the zone" like I used to so my performance is generally pretty poor.

This is having a really big impact on my life, I can't do so many things that I should be able to do and enjoy. I'd say it's actually kind of dragging me back into depression because of the constant feeling of failure at everything I try. I don't know what to do to fix things and I'm really worried that this won't get better and I'm going to spend my life with this problem ruining it.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been depressed about 6 years and during that time I also developed psychosis, as a consequence of both of these I've had real issues with my concentration. I'm working my way through the tv series Dexter and the episodes are an hour long - way way too long for me to concentrate, so I normally watch in 3 or 4 parts. Also during this time I've been at university and my concentration issues made this extremely hard, I got a crappy grade in the end.

Anyway, my depression and psychosis are a lot improved but I'm still having really big issues with concentration. I find it difficult to follow debates on tv, I easily lose track of conversations, I can't read newspapers, I can't watch whole movies or tv shows, even cartoons are difficult to follow.

I was wondering is this normal for someone like me? Is there anything I can do to improve this? Any help would be appreciated.
    First of all when you say 'someone like me', don't think you're not like any body else, anon. An hallucination is just something that someone else doesn't experience and don't put yourself just because of that. I can completely understand if those experiences are really distressing and have an impact on you feel about yourself because having a mental health problem doesn't make you any less normal than anyone else.

A lot of people find it difficult to concentrate, simple things might have a significant contribution that you change today:

High blood sugar, I know I really cant do anything an hour after having lunch for example. So if you're snacking alot of biscuits and chocolate during the day might have role.

Make sure you drink enough water (1.5 litres a water a day is the recommended amount)

Eating fish helps- I know its not the cheapest thing in the world but fish finger sandwich <3

Hope this helps. All the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for the post.

I am on antidepressants and have tried quite a few different ones but none have helped to increase my concentration so that route is already taken.

I also go to the gym often and am on a sports team so I do that too as well as sometimes playing sports with my friends, but even doing that I can't concentrate too well. When the coach goes over strategies or drills I find it really difficult to follow so I never know what to do and look like an idiot. When I'm playing I can't get in "the zone" like I used to so my performance is generally pretty poor.

This is having a really big impact on my life, I can't do so many things that I should be able to do and enjoy. I'd say it's actually kind of dragging me back into depression because of the constant feeling of failure at everything I try. I don't know what to do to fix things and I'm really worried that this won't get better and I'm going to spend my life with this problem ruining it.

Anyone else got any suggestions?
    Which antidepressants have you tried? SSRIs aren't all that helpful for concentration (fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, paroxetine) whereas the SNRIs (venlafaxine, duloxetine) or some of the others like reboxetine or lofepramine are far more so.

ReputationRep:
    same with me

(Original post by darthgirlie)
    First of all when you say 'someone like me', don't think you're not like any body else, anon. An hallucination is just something that someone else doesn't experience and don't put yourself just because of that. I can completely understand if those experiences are really distressing and have an impact on you feel about yourself because having a mental health problem doesn't make you any less normal than anyone else.

A lot of people find it difficult to concentrate, simple things might have a significant contribution that you change today:

High blood sugar, I know I really cant do anything an hour after having lunch for example. So if you're snacking alot of biscuits and chocolate during the day might have role.

Make sure you drink enough water (1.5 litres a water a day is the recommended amount)

Eating fish helps- I know its not the cheapest thing in the world but fish finger sandwich <3

Hope this helps. All the best
    I do feel a lot less "normal" than everyone else. I mean, the experiences I've had are definitely different to the norm hence I think my feeling is justified. I get what you're trying to say, and I appreciate it, but I still feel alienated from a lot of people. When I've tried to talk to people about what happened to me, the vast majority do not understand.

Thanks for the suggestions but sadly I don't think they'll help.

I rarely ever snack, if I do it's a handful of peanuts mixed with raisins maybe 3 times a week maximum. I also try to eat a healthy balanced diet without much fast food. I always have a glass of water on my desk so I don't think that's a problem either. I actually can't stand eating fish but I took cod liver oil for about 4 months as I heard it improved concentration but I didn't notice any positive effect annoyingly.

Thank you for replying, sorry nothing was able to help.

(Original post by Exopaladin)
    Which antidepressants have you tried? SSRIs aren't all that helpful for concentration (fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, paroxetine) whereas the SNRIs (venlafaxine, duloxetine) or some of the others like reboxetine or lofepramine are far more so.
    I've tried drugs from a variety of classes, actually I've tried all the ones you mentioned except lofepramine, none of them helped. I'm also on antipsychotics which helped a little I would say but no where near as much as I'd hope.

Thank you for the reply.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.