Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Trans woman commits suicide after being bullied by the Daily Mail Watch

ReputationRep:
    Trans woman commits suicide after being bullied by the Daily Mail

As per the headline. Not sure how directly the DM were involved in causing this but singling out a woman on a tirade against transsexuals probably isn't going to make that person more emotionally stable.

The original article, retrieved, is here. Thanks to Darth Stewie for the link.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANARCHY__)
    Trans woman commits suicide after being bullied by the Daily Mail

As per the headline. Not sure how directly the DM were involved in causing this but singling out a woman on a tirade against transsexuals probably isn't going to make that person more emotionally stable.
    In all honesty, if they had done the same to me.. I probably wouldnt be here to.

My thoughts are with her

Transgender people, suffering from gender dysporia, already have to lead very hard lives, facing both a huge amount of abuse and prejudice, but also having to deal with a very painful/upsetting mental medical condition..
    Having something happen to them like this.. can just be the step to far.

This is not uncommon though, 30% of transgender people will kill themselves every year. The highest out of any minority group.

The only way this number will fall, is when the adversity trans people face also falls, and public awarness of trans issues, raises.

A recent poll (I will have to dig it up) - showed that only 15% of people thought that being gay was a choice.. yet 70% of people felt being transgender was.... Its quite shocking how little awarenses and understanding the public has, on trans issues.

(a very angry trans women)

Lily x

ReputationRep:
    If ever there was a reason not to even look at the Daily Mail again it's this. My thought are with this poor woman and I hope that the author of that article is never writes for a newspaper again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)

My thoughts are with her
    There is a problem here that has become increasingly prevalent with troubled individuals and isn't limited to the particular circumstances here.

Leaving aside the pillorying in the press, the actual suggestion Littlejohn made; that there should be a clean break in her professional life with her starting to teach elsewhere on presenting as female with new appearance and a new name, was an eminently sensible one. The problem is that no-one who had responsibility for her felt able to bring her privately to the wisdom of that course of action.

Her employers didn't because although they had duties of care to her and to the children, it was easier and safer in a litigious world to discharge those duties of care by doing nothing. Those responsible for her psychological care care didn't, presumably taking the view that it wasn't for them to tell her how to live her life. She ploughed on seemingly oblivious to the effect it would have on the children and how the matter would be perceived by adults in the school. As a result a colleague or a parent unhappy at the way the matter was being handled at the school went to the press.

Now someone is dead because no-one was willing to stand up to her and say privately that performing a gender switch in the face of children who up to that point had understood gender to be binary and immutable was inappropriate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Leaving aside the pillorying in the press, the actual suggestion Littlejohn made; that there should be a clean break in her professional life with her starting to teach elsewhere on presenting as female with new appearance and a new name, was an eminently sensible one.

Now someone is dead because no-one was willing to stand up to her and say privately that performing a gender switch in the face of children who up to that point had understood gender to be binary and immutable was inappropriate.
    Sensible only in that it would avoid tempting the wrath of insensitive and uninformed parents? It seems that no matter how angry a parent was going to get, it wouldn't have mattered, the school seemed incredibly supportive in the face of potential anger. If Richard ****ing Littlejohn spent less time trying to get people he didn't like to kill themselves, then everything would be fine. Transitioning should be able to occur in front of people. It is necessary for people to be confronted before any views will shift. If trans people are forced to complete their transition behind closed doors, then people are "protected" from knowing and one day understanding gender dysporia.

Furthermore, transitioning is a long process. Are you suggesting that she should have gone unemployed for all that time? That might have been problematic, doubly so considering she had a class of children who would definitely suffer from her absence.

Finally, gender ISN'T binary, neither is it immutable. People who think it is are wrong, and children who think it is have been done a disservice by parents. The only reasons I can think of as to why a parent wouldn't want their children to know about gender dysporia, or see its effects, are a) in case their child gets ideas and tries the same thing, or b) their children become overly sexualised too early.

a) This is stupid. Gender dysporia is no more a choice than homosexuality. It doesn't surprise me that people think this though; the exact same happens with homosexuality too.

b) Learning about gender, and the different ways people identify themselves as, is not a sexual experience. Young children understand that there are girls and boys, mothers and fathers, without becoming sexual. Why would teaching gender as a spectrum of identity, rather than a binary construct, sexualise them? I think this is probably because the people making the decisions about what children come into contact with (the parents) are sexualised (obviously because they're adults), and can conceive of things they class as oddities when it comes to trans people. "Who are they attracted to? Who do they have sex with? Are they still straight afterwards? Or do they descend into depravity and sexual deviancy? I MUST PROTECT MY CHILDREN FROM THIS EVIL!"

The world needs to grow up.

ReputationRep:
    God, I saw that article and thought it was horrifc. Is it easier to explain to a child that some people are born in the wrong bodies, or that the world is an awful place to people who are perceived to be different and that people kill themselves because of it?

ReputationRep:
    Holy ****, that Daily Mail article is disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    The comments on the original Daily Mail article make me sick. They pos rep those who effectively transbash and neg those who promote teaching children about the diverseness of our society. It's vile.

ReputationRep:
    There is a problem here that has become increasingly prevalent with troubled individuals and isn't limited to the particular circumstances here.

Leaving aside the pillorying in the press, the actual suggestion Littlejohn made; that there should be a clean break in her professional life with her starting to teach elsewhere on presenting as female with new appearance and a new name, was an eminently sensible one. The problem is that no-one who had responsibility for her felt able to bring her privately to the wisdom of that course of action.

Her employers didn't because although they had duties of care to her and to the children, it was easier and safer in a litigious world to discharge those duties of care by doing nothing. Those responsible for her psychological care care didn't, presumably taking the view that it wasn't for them to tell her how to live her life. She ploughed on seemingly oblivious to the effect it would have on the children and how the matter would be perceived by adults in the school. As a result a colleague or a parent unhappy at the way the matter was being handled at the school went to the press.

You dont quite seem to understand how transitioning works, on a practical level.

Your proposed 'solutions' will cause more problems, then they solve.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who found the Jimmy Savile comparison hilarious?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he should have written an article on it, it was appalling journalism. Transgender is a personal issue, but I can actually see how it could have been unsettling for the children, depending on their age and maturity. Perhaps to make it more accepted, people should stop making such a big deal out of it and just treat them like people instead of being touchy-feely. It might have worked if they just left the newsletter saying he will return as Miss Meadows, instead of doing lessons on it (some schools do) and "promoting diversity" as you can't change how people think and it shouldn't be spreading propaganda. I do not think Richard Littlejohn is directly responsible for the tragic suicide, he may have triggered feelings of despair, but many people are supportive of transgender issues so following the article this would have been apparent. Correct me if I'm wrong, Littlejohn did not openly say he's disapproving of transgender and tell him to commit suicide. I'm afraid it's a fact of life at least one person will not agree with choices or the way people are.

I hope this hasn't offended anyone.

ReputationRep:
    The Daily Mail is vile, and Richard LittleJohn is an utter prick.

The DM is an atrocious rag, I wish people would just boycott it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    In all honesty, if they had done the same to me.. I probably wouldnt be here to.

My thoughts are with her

Transgender people, suffering from gender dysporia, already have to lead very hard lives, facing both a huge amount of abuse and prejudice, but also having to deal with a very painful/upsetting mental medical condition..
    Having something happen to them like this.. can just be the step to far.

This is not uncommon though, 30% of transgender people will kill themselves every year. The highest out of any minority group.

The only way this number will fall, is when the adversity trans people face also falls, and public awarness of trans issues, raises.

A recent poll (I will have to dig it up) - showed that only 15% of people thought that being gay was a choice.. yet 70% of people felt being transgender was.... Its quite shocking how little awarenses and understanding the public has, on trans issues.

(a very angry trans women)

Lily x
    I had, until recently, been one of the 70%. I'm glad to have had my mind changed and my view opened. Ignorance is one thing, vitriol is another. This is what Littlejohn engaged in and everybody should know it. Inadvertently or not, a national newspaper demonised an individual who was not in the public sphere. If more people knew about this, there would be complete outrage.

Conveniently, the DM have removed some of offending articles from their pages although they are, unfortunately for them, contending with the internet.

(Original post by Iron Lady)
    I don't think he should have written an article on it, it was appalling journalism. Transgender is a personal issue, but I can actually see how it could have been unsettling for the children, depending on their age and maturity. Perhaps to make it more accepted, people should stop making such a big deal out of it and just treat them like people instead of being touchy-feely. It might have worked if they just left the newsletter saying he will return as Miss Meadows, instead of doing lessons on it (some schools do) and "promoting diversity" as you can't change how people think and it shouldn't be spreading propaganda. I do not think Richard Littlejohn is directly responsible for the tragic suicide, he may have triggered feelings of despair, but many people are supportive of transgender issues so following the article this would have been apparent. Correct me if I'm wrong, Littlejohn did not openly say he's disapproving of transgender and tell him to commit suicide. I'm afraid it's a fact of life at least one person will not agree with choices or the way people are.

I hope this hasn't offended anyone.
    I agree somewhat with you are saying. Of course, ideally, the change would have been accepted and everybody would have moved on. Unfortunately, this was not the case and whilst I do not believe it is directly the fault of Littlejohn or the DM, it is shoddy journalism and simply cruel for an organisation with as much power and reach as they have to target an individual. In the past, however, Littlejohn has made comments against homosexuality and the transgender community.

It is perhaps the final point you make which holds some weight (not that the others are not worth discussing but I feel they are fairly valid and do not require as much discussion). The problem in such an environment is that children believe gender and, I'd imagine to some degree, sexuality, to be in line with preconceived notions of cultural norms.

This does not mean this should remain the case though and perhaps Miss Meadows change would have introduced facts to the contrary simply by her presence and change their outlook.

ReputationRep:
    So if say one of us bullied her, and that lead to her suicide, we'd be in trouble with the police right? Why isn't the author of that article being questioned?

ReputationRep:
    The Daily Mail makes me sick. I do not understand on why they are targeting transeuxals and are hellbent on making their retarded readership hate them with all the might that their half a brain cell can muster.

This story is heartbreaking, this poor woman... it's tragic. I bet this Richard Littlejohn thought he was bloody hilarious posting his article - "haw haw let's make fun of the ******" - but this shows the extremeties of situations like this. Words can hurt. A society can kill. It is unfair to solely blame the Daily Mail, it is unfair to solely blame Mr. Littlejohn... however they were certainly part of the cause of the problem. Can you imagine how it could have and would have affected the community surrounding Lucy (previously Nathan), warped their opinions of him? Provoked prejudice, discrimination? Caused hysteria?

What do the children have to be "protected" from? Being accepting of differences? Understanding the problems of others? Life? It is a joke to suggest that this man would harm them either purposefully or passively and it is disgusting to reference Jimmy Saville in this ill-written, badly informed mess.

ReputationRep:
    Suicide over an article written on the daily mail?

ReputationRep:
    Here is the archived column that the Daily Mail has since removed

But don't worry i'm sure the one paragraph which says how sorry they are that will be printed on page 34 right next to the adds for astrology readings will be a huge comfort to the dead persons family and friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    So if say one of us bullied her, and that lead to her suicide, we'd be in trouble with the police right? Why isn't the author of that article being questioned?
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    The Daily Mail makes me sick. I do not understand on why they are targeting transeuxals and are hellbent on making their retarded readership hate them with all the might that their half a brain cell can muster.

This story is heartbreaking, this poor woman... it's tragic. I bet this Richard Littlejohn thought he was bloody hilarious posting his article - "haw haw let's make fun of the ******" - but this shows the extremeties of situations like this. Words can hurt. A society can kill. It is unfair to solely blame the Daily Mail, it is unfair to solely blame Mr. Littlejohn... however they were certainly part of the cause of the problem. Can you imagine how it could have and would have affected the community surrounding Lucy (previously Nathan), warped their opinions of him? Provoked prejudice, discrimination? Caused hysteria?

What do the children have to be "protected" from? Being accepting of differences? Understanding the problems of others? Life? It is a joke to suggest that this man would harm them either purposefully or passively and it is disgusting to reference Jimmy Saville in this ill-written, badly informed mess.
    If anyone reading this article would like to spread this around, feel free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    Suicide over an article written on the daily mail?
    I'm not sure you quite understand the reach of a national newspaper with a large readership demonising an individual who already felt ostracised. It is claimed that the article put immense pressure on the woman in question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    Here is the archived column that the Daily Mail has since removed

But don't worry i'm sure the one paragraph which says how sorry they are that will be printed on page 34 right next to the adds for astrology readings will be a huge comfort to the dead persons family and friends.
    Thanks. Will add to OP.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.