Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I handed in my dissertation a few days ago, but unfortunately I didn't know that the upper limit is 13500, I thought it was like at the other essay were you could write 10% over the limit. So, I wrote a little bit over the word limit, I had around 14000 words. I am studying under the Government and Society department! Can you tell me if there is any chance they will not deduct me any marks? Or what will happen? :confused::confused:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'd assume that the 10% rule would still apply, and if that is the case then you are pretty safely under the absolute limit..

ReputationRep:
    firstworldproblems

ReputationRep:
    If you think about it, with an essay that long, 500 words wouldn't make too big a difference anyway. So there's nothing to worry about really, unless if you waffled for the first 13500 words.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not worried about the first 13500, however I am worried that they will automatically deduct 5 marks, just because of those 500 words... That would suck !
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Some departments don't accept 10%. Economics is 7000 words for example, and it specifically says "7000, not 7700".
    Did you not need to put a word count on the cover page? Why not ask the department themselves what they would do, without giving away you are just in case it's not an issue.

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing, I did put the word count on the cover))... the thing is that when i asked my supervisor he didn't know, and never complained about the word count.... so you are saying that in the economics department, if you exceed the limit they automatically deduct 5 marks off your grade? I would ask the department, but I'm not sure how I would not give away that it's me)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BarryW)
    That's the thing, I did put the word count on the cover))... the thing is that when i asked my supervisor he didn't know, and never complained about the word count.... so you are saying that in the economics department, if you exceed the limit they automatically deduct 5 marks off your grade? I would ask the department, but I'm not sure how I would not give away that it's me)
    Nope, they just say not to do it. No mention of what happens if you go over as I assume they expect no one to do it.
    Just ask what happens if a student has gone over, without telling them your name (and hopefully they don't know you by name anyway). It probably wouldn't matter if they do know who you are, as it's likely they'll either notice and penalise you or it won't be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    okay so saying "cut out unnecessary words" isn't very helpful as they wouldn't be in there if you thought they were unnecessary!

i recommend:
    1) using hyphens where possible: makes two words one word
    2) replacing numbers over 10 with figures (perfectly standard in academic writing)
    3) re-structuring/re-writing paragraphs as oppose to trying to cut word by measly word
    4) using synonyms to turn standardized phrases into single words
    5) checking with your professor/assistant to see if the abstract/key words/bibliography/appendices/graph titles etc count in the limit
    6) asking whether there is the "usual leeway" of 10% above/below the limit
    7) using colons, semi-colons, dashes where possible-- instead of "and"s etc
    8) having two people separately edit the essay to try and cut words out (perhaps give them each a version with different sentences missing and see if they comment on the "flow")
    9) re-consider the introduction; often you just get used to paragraphs 'sounding' a certain way based on re-reading them but some of the intro detail is superfluous/obvious
    10) if submitting a hard copy only, don't include the word count or round it down a little (by a believable amount only of course!)

hope that helps, best of luck!

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.