Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shonaT)
    I only got my unconditional on Saturday. That will be why I've not heard anything yet. How thorough is the medical?
    They just ask you to fill out a pre course health declaration form which basically asks if you have any health conditions that they may need to know about....think it was a tick-box type form. This is the form you fill out at home and send back. The appointment just involves a review of the declaration form and blood tests, then that's it!

ReputationRep:
    That sounds OK, I take it it's blood tests for immunity etc.

ReputationRep:
    Id imagine its to make sure we don't have hep-B or HIV

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know about accommodation available near the university flat share or similar. I can initially stay with family 20 minute drive from the university but would like somewhere near the Hamilton campus. I will start in the September intake for MSc Nursing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid I don't know IAL. I'll be staying at home.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard anything from the uni yet since the unconditionals were given? Ive not heard back about my PVG or about occupational health, or where to meet on our first day?

ReputationRep:
    Not heard anything and the timetable on the website still says venue tbc. I'm going to call the week before if we've not heard anything. I do know my last PVG did take a while to come through. Just takes time with the PVG rather than there being a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deone247)
    Has anyone heard anything from the uni yet since the unconditionals were given? Ive not heard back about my PVG or about occupational health, or where to meet on our first day?
    I got my Disclosure in July and my Oc Health appointment was months ago! Received a couple of booklets about Freshers and a leaflet claiming that the induction week starts on the 16th at 9am in the Browne House (Dumfries Campus). You should give them a call, you should have received all of this by now!

EDIT: I already had a Disclosure due to working in a hospital so I just needed an updated one. Disclosures usually take up to 6 weeks if there's no problems with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katiekj25)
    I got my Disclosure in July and my Oc Health appointment was months ago! Received a couple of booklets about Freshers and a leaflet claiming that the induction week starts on the 16th at 9am in the Browne House (Dumfries Campus). You should give them a call, you should have received all of this by now!

EDIT: I already had a Disclosure due to working in a hospital so I just needed an updated one. Disclosures usually take up to 6 weeks if there's no problems with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've got that booklet katie. It says we start at 9am on 16th Sept but under venue it just says tbc. That's for Hamilton campus.

ReputationRep:
    I've got that booklet katie. It says we start at 9am on 16th Sept but under venue it just says tbc. That's for Hamilton campus.
    Ah right, well hopefully you'll hear more in the next week or so

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking for part time jobs to help with living costs because the bursary alone isn't enough to live off each month, but my friend told me it will be too difficult to balance both, has anyone any idea if there is any help out there, student loans etc?

ReputationRep:
    I've not quit my current job. trying to keep going as long as possible because I've a family to support.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully we'll all get good placement hours and not 12 hour shifts.

ReputationRep:
    12hr shifts have their advantages,. You get your hours done in fewer days.

ReputationRep:
    I thought since were student we'd be doing 12 hour shifts 7 days a week?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. I thought you did the shift of your mentor on each placement. You'll end up doing some 7 day weeks between uni classes and placements though I guess.

ReputationRep:
    We've not really been given enough info about the course I suppose. As long as placement isn't too far away from home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deone247)
    I've been looking for part time jobs to help with living costs because the bursary alone isn't enough to live off each month, but my friend told me it will be too difficult to balance both, has anyone any idea if there is any help out there, student loans etc?
    Join the NHS Bank either as admin or nursing or both. They text me everyday with job assignments that are both full-time and part-time hours throughout the entire health board in Glasgow. You can take up any offer of work or not bother replying if it doesn't suit you. It's great and you get experience within the NHS.

I've been with the bank for a year and a half. I recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. I thought you did the shift of your mentor on each placement. You'll end up doing some 7 day weeks between uni classes and placements though I guess.
    We'll have reflection days during placements and theory, but as far as I understand it we won't have 7 day weeks of placement and lecture. That'd be a bit much. We have theory for two months and nothing else so that when we start our placements in late November, we're ready to go.

Also, legally we can't work more than a certain number of hours each week so doubt any of us will have a placement that goes over 37.5 hours a week.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks future nurse
    how do we go about joining the bank? Is it through nhs jobs scotland? And are we still able to join as a nurse although we haven't qualified?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.