Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'd love to study Creative Writing or English with Creative Writing at a good standard uni but I've got a bit of a problem, I only study English Language at A Level and about 90% of the courses want Lit

Anyone know of any courses I could do without it? I still want quite a reputable uni or is that not possible?

I'm predicted AAA at AS.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe mention the fact that you couldn't study lit in your personal statement and talk about how you've kind of made up for it, if that makes sense. Also, don't worry too much about the prestige of a uni.

ReputationRep:
    Think carefully about doing a named Creative Writing degree.

* Employers dont like it (it sounds like something you do in Primary School).

* It wont make you a writer.

Much better to do a general English degree that offers CW units within it.

PS. If a Uni ask for Eng Lit that's what they mean, ie. they wouldnt give that as an admissions requirement if it was an optional extra. Unless you are a Mature applicant (over 21) the admission requirement is just that - *required*.

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you study English Lit? If it was because it wasn't offered at your college, tell the unis.

You could try and compile a portfolio to show that you have experience with creative writing.

ReputationRep:
    I think Winchester takes applicants for English Literature and Creative Writing with an A to C pass in either Language OR Lit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think the main reason why they ask for English Lit is because it shows your interest in literature and writing. The assumption is that someone wanting to study English Lit (unless you're doing English Language and Creative Writing) will have taken it for A-Level. Therefore in your personal statement, I think you should make sure to emphasise your interest in literature.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.