Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Basically I've been learning to drive since October now, but I don't seem to have progressed at all! I've so far had about 20 lessons. However, I've only done one manoeuvre (3 point turns) and my driving instructor reckons I'm not even half way through yet. In his words, he thinks that if I start doing lessons twice a week I should be ready by this October. That will be a year of me learning to drive! The thing is, I really can't afford it. I'm struggling as it is. My Dad has offered to pay for them if I do it intensively. I'm really interested in doing it intensively as I need a car to get to work and back, otherwise I'll be spending a fortune on taxis, which I am at the moment. What's everyone's opinion on intensive courses? I keep getting mixed views. Some people think theyre brilliant, my Mum, for example, benefited from them when she was learning to drive. However, when I asked my driving instructor about it back when I was first learning he said they were a waste of time and hardly anyone passed with them. Opinions everyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoSpeakNewSpeak)
    Basically I've been learning to drive since October now, but I don't seem to have progressed at all! I've so far had about 20 lessons. However, I've only done one manoeuvre (3 point turns) and my driving instructor reckons I'm not even half way through yet. In his words, he thinks that if I start doing lessons twice a week I should be ready by this October. That will be a year of me learning to drive! The thing is, I really can't afford it. I'm struggling as it is. My Dad has offered to pay for them if I do it intensively. I'm really interested in doing it intensively as I need a car to get to work and back, otherwise I'll be spending a fortune on taxis, which I am at the moment. What's everyone's opinion on intensive courses? I keep getting mixed views. Some people think theyre brilliant, my Mum, for example, benefited from them when she was learning to drive. However, when I asked my driving instructor about it back when I was first learning he said they were a waste of time and hardly anyone passed with them. Opinions everyone?
    How many hours are you doing a week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nice.Guy)
    How many hours are you doing a week?
    At the moment...just 1 hour a week. However, if I do an intensive course I'll do about 30 hours spread over a week or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoSpeakNewSpeak)
    At the moment...just 1 hour a week. However, if I do an intensive course I'll do about 30 hours spread over a week or two.
    I'm no expert, but I'd go for something in between. 1 hour is too little imo, 30 hours is way too much!
    To give an example, I did 3 hours a week and passed after 3 months.

How about starting off with something like 5 hours a week?? And then if you feel like you want more, just have even more lessons the next week?

Would still see what other people think though... my instructor used to say the intensive courses didn't give enough time for everything to sink in. . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nice.Guy)
    I'm no expert, but I'd go for something in between. 1 hour is too little imo, 30 hours is way too much!
    To give an example, I did 3 hours a week and passed after 3 months.

How about starting off with something like 5 hours a week?? And then if you feel like you want more, just have even more lessons the next week?

Would still see what other people think though... my instructor used to say the intensive courses didn't give enough time for everything to sink in. . .
    That sounds like a good idea! Yeah, I agree 30 hours seems like a lot. I was considering doing 2 hours on every weekday for the next 3 weeks. Or maybe 8 hours a week for the next month. I'm having a free trial on Sunday so hopefully I'll be able to sort out some sort of arrangement then.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.