Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I thought 'ice cream fitness' meant a whole other thing... Watch

ReputationRep:
    After a year of lifting on my own routine and not seeing max results ("is all about the gains, brah"), I have succumed to getting on a 5x5 fitness programme. Why so late in the day, you ask? It's a mixture of A) Lack of research, B) "Nah it's cool, my routine is giving me some results" and C) sheer stupidity. I've decided that enough is enough, and I need to get on some sort of programme and sort my routine out.

Height=6ft
    Weight=71kg
    Age=21

My old routine:
    Chest and tricep
    -Bench 4x6
    -Skull crushes 3x6
    -Incline DB press 3x6
    -Dips 3xfailure
    -Fly 3x6
    -Pull downs 3x6

Back and bicep
    -Deadlift 4x6
    -Curls 3x6
    -Rows 3x6
    -Chins 3xfailure
    -Lat pulldown 3x6
    -Dropset on bicep machine

Legs and shoulders
    -Squat 3x6
    -OH press 3x6
    -Bulgarian split squat 3x6
    -Shrugs 3x6
    -Hamstring machine 3x6
    -Lat machine 3x6

After much searching, deliberation, and contemplation, I've decided to give this one a go: Ice Cream Fitness Novice 5x5 Full Body Workout (www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY6vi6ORXo, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...8036063&page=1). The reason I've chosen to try this one is because of the volume. All the other 5x5s seem lacking in some way or form. Either in the iso exercises, or not hitting the minor muscle groups enough. And anything seems to probably be better than what I'm doing now.

So this will new routine will be:

Workout A
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5
    Barbell Shrug 3x8
    Skullcrusher 3x8
    Chins 3x5-8
    or Striaght Bar/Incline Curl 3x8
    Hyperextention 2x10
    Kneeling Cable Crunch 3x10-20

Workout B
    Squat 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Standing Press 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5 -10%
    CGBP 3x8
    Straight Bar or Incline Curl 3x8

Sunday=Workout A
    Tuesday=B
    Thursday=A
    Sunday=B
    Tuesday=A
    Thursday=B

Obviously a huge change from what I'm doing now. I had my suspicions over a full body workout, but the research I have done and the people I have talked to assure me that 5x5 workouts truly do work. I have absolutely no idea how successful I'll be, but this is why I'm making this blog!

In terms of nutrition, I'm on a cut. Eating 1900kcals a day, with 160g of protein a day. No idea how this will hold up during this 5x5 workout; I assume I won't have the energy to keep it up and my kcals and macros will change, but I want to get rid of the last bit of belly fat I seem to have.

So there we are, the intro post. After every workout, I'll be posting my stats and seeing how far I'm progressing. All comments, criticisms, etc. are very much welcome. This blog is just me trying to sort my routine out after doing it the noob-way for so long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chigz32)
    After a year of lifting on my own routine and not seeing max results ("is all about the gains, brah"), I have succumed to getting on a 5x5 fitness programme. Why so late in the day, you ask? It's a mixture of A) Lack of research, B) "Nah it's cool, my routine is giving me some results" and C) sheer stupidity. I've decided that enough is enough, and I need to get on some sort of programme and sort my routine out.

Height=6ft
    Weight=71kg
    Age=21

My old routine:
    Chest and tricep
    -Bench 4x6
    -Skull crushes 3x6
    -Incline DB press 3x6
    -Dips 3xfailure
    -Fly 3x6
    -Pull downs 3x6

Back and bicep
    -Deadlift 4x6
    -Curls 3x6
    -Rows 3x6
    -Chins 3xfailure
    -Lat pulldown 3x6
    -Dropset on bicep machine

Legs and shoulders
    -Squat 3x6
    -OH press 3x6
    -Bulgarian split squat 3x6
    -Shrugs 3x6
    -Hamstring machine 3x6
    -Lat machine 3x6

After much searching, deliberation, and contemplation, I've decided to give this one a go: Ice Cream Fitness Novice 5x5 Full Body Workout (www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY6vi6ORXo, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...8036063&page=1). The reason I've chosen to try this one is because of the volume. All the other 5x5s seem lacking in some way or form. Either in the iso exercises, or not hitting the minor muscle groups enough. And anything seems to probably be better than what I'm doing now.

So this will new routine will be:

Workout A
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5
    Barbell Shrug 3x8
    Skullcrusher 3x8
    Chins 3x5-8
    or Striaght Bar/Incline Curl 3x8
    Hyperextention 2x10

Workout B
    Squat 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Standing Press 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5 -10%
    CGBP 3x8
    Straight Bar or Incline Curl 3x8

Sunday=Workout A
    Tuesday=B
    Thursday=A
    Sunday=B
    Tuesday=A
    Thursday=B

Obviously a huge change from what I'm doing now. I had my suspicions over a full body workout, but the research I have done and the people I have talked to assure me that 5x5 workouts truly do work. I have absolutely no idea how successful I'll be, but this is why I'm making this blog!

In terms of nutrition, I'm on a cut. Eating 1900kcals a day, with 160g of protein a day. No idea how this will hold up during this 5x5 workout; I assume I won't have the energy to keep it up and my kcals and macros will change, but I want to get rid of the last bit of belly fat I seem to have.

So there we are, the intro post. After every workout, I'll be posting my stats and seeing how far I'm progressing. All comments, criticisms, etc. are very much welcome. This blog is just me trying to sort my routine out after doing it the noob-way for so long.
    You're "on a cut" at 71kg 6ft despite having lifted already for a year? :curious:

Anyway good job on hoping on a program. I think the most important aspect when lifting weights is to be exercising your whole body and constantly trying to drive more weight up. I'm sure you'll see far better results this year if you stick to it because clearly you didn't build all too much muscle last year. Keeping a blog has been excellent motivation thus far for me (though I've been lifting less than 5 months still- lets see if I'm still around after 1+ years!)- people on here give each other motivation and encouragement which really helps when you are feeling demotivated!

What are you lifts atm having already lifted for one year? Looking forward to seeing your progression!

EDIT: Just want to say, there was nothing terribly wrong with your old workouts, just that perhaps hitting each body part multiple times per week is more effective as a beginner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    You're "on a cut" at 71kg 6ft despite having lifted already for a year? :curious:

Anyway good job on hoping on a program. I think the most important aspect when lifting weights is to be exercising your whole body and constantly trying to drive more weight up. I'm sure you'll see far better results this year if you stick to it because clearly you didn't build all too much muscle last year. Keeping a blog has been excellent motivation thus far for me (though I've been lifting less than 5 months still- lets see if I'm still around after 1+ years!)- people on here give each other motivation and encouragement which really helps when you are feeling demotivated!

What are you lifts atm having already lifted for one year? Looking forward to seeing your progression!

EDIT: Just want to say, there was nothing terribly wrong with your old workouts, just that perhaps hitting each body part multiple times per week is more effective as a beginner.

You're not the first person to ask about the cut! I'm around 13-14%BF, and I want to get that to around 12%, so the cut will continue. But this routine seems to be a heck of a lot harder, so time will tell if I need to up my cals.

In terms of lifts:
    Bench=70kg
    Deadlift=120kg

EDIT: BTW what do you think of the new routine?

ReputationRep:
    You're not the first person to ask about the cut! I'm around 13-14%BF, and I want to get that to around 12%, so the cut will continue. But this routine seems to be a heck of a lot harder, so time will tell if I need to up my cals.

In terms of lifts:
    Bench=70kg
    Squat=90kg
    Deadlift=120kg

EDIT: BTW what do you think of the new routine?
    I see. Yeah 1900 seems a tad low given the demands of the routine, but at least then the "cut" will be over quickly and then you can just clean slow bulk.

Are those lifts 1RMs/5RMs or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    I see. Yeah 1900 seems a tad low given the demands of the routine, but at least then the "cut" will be over quickly and then you can just clean slow bulk.

Are those lifts 1RMs/5RMs or what?
    Yeah, I assume the routine will knacker me out, in which case I'll either dial it down or up my kcals, depending where I am with the cut.

Those are the 3x6 numbers.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I assume the routine will knacker me out, in which case I'll either dial it down or up my kcals, depending where I am with the cut.

Those are the 3x6 numbers.
    Did you look at the body for life work out schedule? I've looked around so far and that one seems to be the most reliable IMO. But then again I'm not planning on working out till the end of June ( after exams ). So yeah if you've heard about it, do you think it's good or not?

ReputationRep:
    Do SS,

but head over to the BB misc rather than posting on here about lifting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themiddleone)
    Did you look at the body for life work out schedule? I've looked around so far and that one seems to be the most reliable IMO. But then again I'm not planning on working out till the end of June ( after exams ). So yeah if you've heard about it, do you think it's good or not?
    Just had a look. Not bad, good thing about it (and one thing I'm sceptical about the 5x5) is that it hits the chest much more. Would like to know more about why the sets of reps are as they are (12, 12, 6 etc)

ReputationRep:
    Stop cutting. Nobody gives a flying **** if you have abs but weigh 68kg @ 6ft. Abs on a skinny guy are like massive tits on a fat chick, nobody gives a ****. I could understand if you were 20% BF but at 13-14% you need to get your priorities in order.

Up your kcals to ~3k or you're not going anywhere regardless of your routine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Stop cutting. Nobody gives a flying **** if you have abs but weigh 68kg @ 6ft. Abs on a skinny guy are like massive tits on a fat chick, nobody gives a ****. I could understand if you were 20% BF but at 13-14% you need to get your priorities in order.

Up your kcals to ~3k or you're not going anywhere regardless of your routine.
    I tried doing this a few months back but put on a lot of weight. Do you think the problem was my routine wasn't right/I wasn't using enough energy to hit my TDEE?

ReputationRep:
    You are one skinny *******. I'm 2kg heavier but 3 inches shorter.

If you are really that bothered with showing abs at this stage and don't want to bulk/eat above maintenance, then just stick to maintenance for a couple of months. If your lifts suffer eat more etc but on maintenance your fat should go down in theory if you're a moderate newb.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    You are one skinny *******. I'm 2kg heavier but 3 inches shorter.

If you are really that bothered with showing abs at this stage and don't want to bulk/eat above maintenance, then just stick to maintenance for a couple of months. If your lifts suffer eat more etc but on maintenance your fat should go down in theory if you're a moderate newb.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's one thing I've considered! I'm gonna give my cut a go with this new routine and see how tired I get and how much I can lift, then make nutritional changes from then.

ReputationRep:
    I tried doing this a few months back but put on a lot of weight. Do you think the problem was my routine wasn't right/I wasn't using enough energy to hit my TDEE?
    Well of course you're going to put on weight You shouldn't put on more than 1lb a week eating 3k at your weight and height assuming you train 3xweek and have moderate activity. This will limit fat.

Yes you will gain some fat gain but tough. You will make next to no progress eating under 2k a day. At the very least you should eat 2.5k and do a recomp but that's already slow as hell.

Your old routine wasn't that bad. I'm telling you 100% the reason you've made sod all progress is your diet. What did you weigh to begin with?

If you insist on trying it first, fine. Remember people are going to be a lot less helpful when you come back in a few weeks time with bugger all progress, if not a loss in strength, and a terrible skinny physique because you went against all advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well of course you're going to put on weight You shouldn't put on more than 1lb a week eating 3k at your weight and height assuming you train 3xweek and have moderate activity. This will limit fat.

Yes you will gain some fat gain but tough. You will make next to no progress eating under 2k a day. At the very least you should eat 2.5k and do a recomp but that's already slow as hell.

Your old routine wasn't that bad. I'm telling you 100% the reason you've made sod all progress is your diet. What did you weigh to begin with?

If you insist on trying it first, fine. Remember people are going to be a lot less helpful when you come back in a few weeks time with bugger all progress, if not a loss in strength, and a terrible skinny physique because you went against all advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Initially I weight 78kg in the summer, which I cut down to 70kg. I went on a bulk, but put on 3 kg in the space of 4 weeks. My stomach had reappeared, even though I was counting everything that I ate.

I have made progress though, the reason I've decided to change my routine is to make more progress!

ReputationRep:
    in 4 results from decent routine.

ReputationRep:
    Initially I weight 78kg in the summer, which I cut down to 70kg. I went on a bulk, but put on 3 kg in the space of 4 weeks. My stomach had reappeared, even though I was counting everything that I ate.

I have made progress though, the reason I've decided to change my routine is to make more progress!
    You counted kcals wrong. You can't put on almost 7lb in 4 weeks eating 3k kcals with your stats, especially as a young male.

Of course you're going to get fat if you gain that quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You can't really gain muscle faster than 1kg/month even as a young beginner male. So eat so you gain weight about that rate and you'll gain little fat.

ReputationRep:
    You counted kcals wrong. You can't put on almost 7lb in 4 weeks eating 3k kcals with your stats, especially as a young male.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He cut from 78 to 70 right before this, so it makes sense. Probably re-gained the water weight / depleted carbs.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Just a heads up, the 'cutting version' of this routine is dropping the 5x5 to 3x5 and the assistance lifts from 3x8 to 2x8. Might help you progress.

Enjoy mate.

ReputationRep:
    Workout B

I don't know what I did (maybe cuz I love to **** s*** up) but I started with workout B today. I haven't been so tired from a workout in absolutely ages. To Converse Rocker's point above, I may need to do the cutting version of this, but we'll see how it goes.

Squat: 55kg, 55kg, 60kg, 65kg, 60kg (proved to be a little too much)
    Deadline: 2 sets warm up, hit 135kg
    Press: 40kgs all the way through
    Row: 50kgs all the way through
    CGBP: 40kg, 45kg, 45kg
    Curls: 30kg
    KKC: 15kgx10, 20kgx15, 20kgx15

As I'd never done some of these exercises, I guess it'll take me 1/2 workouts to figure out what I can do 5x5. Also took me around 1hr 40mins, whereas my old workout I could complete, quite easily, in around an hour. Like I said, I am beat.

One thing about this exercise strikes me, and that's the lack of chest exercises. Is it enough simply to hit bicep twice a week via bench? Makes me wonder...

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.