Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

Does anyone do health issues?
    I need some serious help - I am beyond confused about these two spec points:

1) Factors affecting regional variations in health and
    morbidity – age structure, income and occupation
    type, education, environment and pollution.

2) Age, gender, wealth and their influence on access to
    facilities for exercise, health care, and good nutrition.

3) A local case study on the implications of the above
    for the provision of health care systems.

So So confused!
    Do 1 and 2 need to be in case study form?

For spec point 1: Do I need to just describe how each factors influence regional variations in health and morbidity? Should I use the UK as an example or should the UK be used as a case study?

For spec point 2: Do I need to just describe how each influences access to facilities for exercise, healthcare and good nutrition? Should I use the UK as an example or am I required to use the UK as a in depth case study?

For spec point 3: I am completed confused! It is so annoying how vague this point is!!!! What does it mean by the implications for the provision of health care systems?!!!?!?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any notes on periglacial landforms and processes? Definitely my downfall haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurtisDean)
    I asked my teacher this!
    We had a mock exam June 2011 I believe...
    There was an article about sustainable management in a desert region. It gave information on what they plan to do.
    When I answered the question, I used the information given and I explained how it would make the desert region sustainable. I also suggested other methods similar and gave a few named examples; i.e. Using phreatophytes as the shrubs to reach the water table.

Our teacher said that about 25-40% should be from the article and the rest should be from our own geographical knowledge to get the top marks.
    However, it does depend on the question being asked

i.e. If it says Use figure 5 only, then it should be more 70% from article, 30% from own knowledge.

But if it is like, with the help of figure 5, then it should be about 30% from the article and the rest your own knowledge!

Hope that this helps!
    Thank you so much!

does anyone know if we need to know the juvenility index and old age index or just dependency ratio?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueray2)
    Can you order these land forms for me from upper course middle course and lower course?

Braided channels
    Meanders
    floodplains and levees
    river terraces

Thanks I dont know where they go
    I know that meanders are middle course. And Braided channels, floodplains and levees are lower course.

And if river terraces are the same as river cliffs? Then those are lower course too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can you order these land forms for me from upper course middle course and lower course?

Braided channels
    Meanders
    floodplains and levees
    river terraces

Thanks I dont know where they go
    Lower - Braided channels, meanders, floodplain and levees.
    Middle - Small floodplain and levees. Meanders.

River terraces are for rejuvenation right? if so they can occur in the middle and lower as they are former floodplains

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

So So confused!

For spec point 1: Do I need to just describe how each factors influence regional variations in health and morbidity? Should I use the UK as an example or should the UK be used as a case study?

For spec point 2: Do I need to just describe how each influences access to facilities for exercise, healthcare and good nutrition? Should I use the UK as an example or am I required to use the UK as a in depth case study?

For spec point 3: I am completed confused! It is so annoying how vague this point is!!!! What does it mean by the implications for the provision of health care systems?!!!?!?!?!?!
    1 - No case study, just say how they affect health. Education - know about risks of eating unhealthily that kind of thing.
    2 - No case study, just describe the differences.
    3 - Definite case study. Write about how age, gender and wealth affect what health care people get. Age - elderly need flu vaccinations, gender females HPV vaccines, wealth private healthcare. That sort of thing. Use a definite case study though. Check out my notes to see an example.
    Hope that helped

(Original post by student55)
    Thank you so much!

does anyone know if we need to know the juvenility index and old age index or just dependency ratio?
    Just learn the dependency ratio. They wont ask about any of them, just its good to know for ageing population and youthful stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImAz)
    I know that meanders are middle course. And Braided channels, floodplains and levees are lower course.

And if river terraces are the same as river cliffs? Then those are lower course too

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by lucasluke)
    Lower - Braided channels, meanders, floodplain and levees.
    Middle - Small floodplain and levees. Meanders.

River terraces are for rejuvenation right? if so they can occur in the middle and lower as they are former floodplains
    Braided channels can form nearly where along the course of the river but are most commonly found in the upper course, like with the Yellow River in China or at river delta where the river breaks up into separate distributaries.

??????

ReputationRep:
    Braided channels can form nearly where along the course of the river but are most commonly found in the upper course, like with the Yellow River in China or at river delta where the river breaks up into separate distributaries.

??????
    Yeh, they can really form anywhere along a river if the velocity drops enough, but usually like Deltas in the lower course. I just say lower course because it fits in with my way of remembering:

Upper:
    VW GRIP
    V-shaped valley, Waterfalls, Gorges, Rapids, Interlocking Spurs, Potholes

Middle:
    ROMS
    River Cliffs, Oxbow lakes, Meanders, Slip-off slopes

Lower:
    Braiding, Floodplains, Deltas, Levees

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, they can really form anywhere along a river if the velocity drops enough, but usually like Deltas in the lower course. I just say lower course because it fits in with my way of remembering:

Upper:
    VW GRIP
    V-shaped valley, Waterfalls, Gorges, Rapids, Interlocking Spurs, Potholes

Middle:
    ROMS
    River Cliffs, Oxbow lakes, Meanders, Slip-off slopes

Lower:
    Braiding, Floodplains, Deltas, Levees
    whats ROMS

ReputationRep:
    whats ROMS
    There just ways of remember it, just short for river cliff oxbow lake meander slip off slope

ReputationRep:
    2013 mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There just ways of remember it, just short for river cliff oxbow lake meander slip off slope

(Original post by LucyQ)
    2013 mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey everyone!

So So confused!

(Original post by ImAz)
    Does anyone have any notes on periglacial landforms and processes? Definitely my downfall haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Beaches help to absorb the energy of waves and reduce the effect of erosion on the coast. Steep beaches dissipate the energy of waves well and more gradual beaches have the effect of spreading the energy out.

Is this correct?

ReputationRep:
    what does everyone think the 15 markers will be on for rivers, coasts,population and health by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gutygvg)
    what does everyone think the 15 markers will be on for rivers, coasts,population and health by any chance?
    No idea what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    so stuck on energy 15 mark questions:/

what would I answer for 'to what extent is the global supply of energy dependent on co-operation between different countries?'

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with Braided Channels please? I've become really confused about them e.g. formation etc I have the example of the Rachia River but my formation info is weak. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If you have the actual AQA textbook (the brown one) check page 19&20 for braided channels its explained really well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student55)
    so stuck on energy 15 mark questions:/

what would I answer for 'to what extent is the global supply of energy dependent on co-operation between different countries?'
    We did this a while back - discussed it in class and then wrote it for hwk.
    In my intro I briefly wrote about how as few countries were energy independent/sefl-sufficient co-operation is key.
    I then wrote a bit about TNCs and their role e.g. BP and their dependence on co-operation of the countries e.g. the building of the pipeline running from Baku to Ceyhan.
    I also wrote a bit about OPEC and their need for co-operation of the members.
    I also mentioned countries which were dependent due to their need to export e.g. Ethiopia.
    And then those that are hardly dependent on co-operation e.g. Brazil.

My teacher said that I could have also mentioned the former USSR and it's influence too.

I got 12/13 for my essay. But, no one in our class is ever been marked as a 15 and I don't think anyone's been marked as 14 either.

I hope this helped. Some of the 15 markers are horrible but I think I'm most worried about time!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gutygvg)
    Weren't you the guy saying you knew what they were haha.

Troll, you didnt know anything did you!

ReputationRep:
    Rivers maybe on soft engineering coasts maybe holderness and population maybe DTM

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.