Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophieamilo)
    Hey Guys!

Just wondering if anyone can name the hard and soft engineering techniques that we need for rivers because my teacher hasn't given us a definite list?

Thanks
    Hard:

Channel Straightening
    Dams
    Levees
    Diversion Spillways

Soft:

Land Use Management
    Wetland + river bank conservation
    River restoration
    Alteration of urban surfaces
    Weather forecasts and flood warnings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoAce)
    Stage 1: birth rate around 35/1000 death rate 35/1000
    Stage 2: birth rate around 35/1000 death rate 15/1000
    Stage 3: birth rate around 13/1000 death rate 10/1000
    Stage 4: birth rate around 10/1000 death rate 10/1000
    Stage 5: birth rate < death rate (no real figures)

Hope this helps. All lifted straight from the CGP Guide (page 63)
    thank you soo sooo soo much!!

ReputationRep:
    i really really do not get this question:')
    'Examine the extent to which appropriate technology can ensure sustainable
    development of energy' help anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student55)
    i really really do not get this question:')
    'Examine the extent to which appropriate technology can ensure sustainable
    development of energy' help anyone?
    Appropriate technology is all about simple, low cost technology that are made and maintained using local knowledge and resources. They are only sustainable when they use non-renewable sources, there is a good example of this in the CGP book with clay stoves - being more efficient (have 75% less fuel consumption etc...) And it benefits local craftsman as well as it provides jobs for them making them and the clay stoves help reduce the amount of biomass that is burnt which helps maintain the natural cycle of replenishment (growing of plants etc...) and therefore it is sustainable. Typing this from memory so I may of forgotten a few things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Describe& suggest reasons for regional variations in morbidity in the U.K(15 marks) please can someone help me with this qn I'm not sure how to structure it.(it's from health ) any help would be much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donny29)
    hey guys...good luck for the exam on the tuesday.

Can someone help me with the 15 mark question for rivers in the January 2013 paper which is .... Describe and explain how and why fluvial landforms change downstream ? What does this even mean .....

Thank you
    They change due to the gradient and the varying erosion that takes place ie vertical to lateral. This creates different landforms such as waterfall, potholes, braided stream.

Hope this helps. Pm me for more

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyBoughton)
    They change due to the gradient and the varying erosion that takes place ie vertical to lateral. This creates different landforms such as waterfall, potholes, braided stream.

Hope this helps. Pm me for more

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Braiding stream is a depositional landform, but I guess talking about depositional landforms would earn you marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i think the 15 markers will be on either :_ rivers:- hard engineering/ bangladesh, coasts:- holderness coast(hard engineering) , population:- dtm/ ageing population

health :- malaria/famine/tnc/obesity

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone!
    For Arid environments, I have noticed that the AQA textbook doesn't mention anything about animal adaptations, neither does the specification.
    I am still going to learn it briefly, but not in a lot of detail.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Does anyone have notes on coasts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fs1205)
    Describe& suggest reasons for regional variations in morbidity in the U.K(15 marks) please can someone help me with this qn I'm not sure how to structure it.(it's from health ) any help would be much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, you can talk about the north south divide. Then go on to talk about access to exercise, healthy diet and how affluence influences these both. Since exercise and diet both influence morbidity.

ReputationRep:
    Thanx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Geographers! I am SOOO bored of revision!
    I've revised Rivers, Health. I am 1/4 through Arid environments and I still have Population. I've seen enough Geography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fs1205)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    disease of affluence, inner city districts, suburbs, not much hiv in UK etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gutygvg)
    i think the 15 markers will be on either :_ rivers:- hard engineering/ bangladesh, coasts:- holderness coast(hard engineering) , population:- dtm/ ageing population

hope it's on bangladesh, dont do coasts, dtm!!!! (so good at the benefits/drawbacks of the dtm) and not tnc's, obesity/chd! that would be the perfect paper!

ReputationRep:
    We've got less than 48 hours left!! I'm getting even more nervous!! It's gonna be my first day of exams:-(

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing coasts - what are berms, runnels and cusps? They are in the specification but mentioned nowhere in my text book...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitzy)
    Anyone doing coasts - what are berms and cusps? They are in the specification but mentioned nowhere in my text book...
    Berms are the ridges you see at high tide marks, cusps are crescent shaped indentations you get during backwash - nobody really knows how they are formed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gutygvg)

THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!!!! Although I don't do health so for energy I'm hoping for a nuclear power debate 15 marker

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitzy)
    Anyone doing coasts - what are berms, runnels and cusps? They are in the specification but mentioned nowhere in my text book...
    If you've got the CGP book, it's mentioned in there on page 23

Berms are ridges of sand and pebbles found at high tide marks, they're formed by deposition of coarse material at the limit of the swash.

Runnels are grooves in the sand running parallel to the shore. They're formed by backwash draining to the sea

Cusps are cresent-shapes indentations that form on beaches of mixed sand and shingle. It's not know exactly how they form, but they develop in areas where waves break parallel to the beach and where there's large tidal rang ( difference in height between high and low tides)

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.