Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Anybody know the definition of 'periodic famine' as it isn't on the internet or in my textbook but it is in the specification. (in reference to the health topic)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    This is my 3rd time doing this exam and I still can't revise properly for it! I really struggle getting high marks in the 15 marks questions as well, could anyone give me some hints/tips please?

ReputationRep:
    what are the different types of transportation in coasts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student55)
    Same as rivers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean like longshore drift?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beni24)
    Do you mean like longshore drift?
    Oh you are on about longshore drift, you said types so I assumed you were referring to traction/saltation/suspension/solution

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homefind)
    Oh you are on about longshore drift, you said types so I assumed you were referring to traction/saltation/suspension/solution

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But isn't that transportation of eroded materials being carried in a River

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nkishkash)
    Anybody know the definition of 'periodic famine' as it isn't on the internet or in my textbook but it is in the specification. (in reference to the health topic)

Thanks
    Famine = An inadequate food supply resulting in severe hunger or death

ReputationRep:
    But isn't that transportation of eroded materials being carried in a River
    Yes but surely there would be sediment in the sea from erosion of the cliffs, I don't know lol, he said types lol so I wasn't sure what he meant

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes but surely there would be sediment in the sea from erosion of the cliffs, I don't know lol, he said types lol so I wasn't sure what he meant - really only solution will occur

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This question came up Jan '10.

Describe processes of transportation on a beach. [7]

The mark scheme says :

The main process is likely to refer to longshore drift. There should be
    reference to the two components of swash and backwash and how the
    angle of approach determines movement along the beach. The process
    is responsible for the shifting of material along the beach. There should
    be reference to processes such as saltation, traction and suspension.
    Reference to transportation by wind.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piillow)
    This question came up Jan '10.

Describe processes of transportation on a beach. [7]

The mark scheme says :

The main process is likely to refer to longshore drift. There should be
    reference to the two components of swash and backwash and how the
    angle of approach determines movement along the beach. The process
    is responsible for the shifting of material along the beach. There should

Hope that helps
    Yep they do occur - There should

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm doing my Geog 1 exam this Tuesday, first time
    I'm doing the topics Rivers, Coasts, Population and Food Supply. Is anyone else doing Food Supply? How are you finding it? It doesn't seem like a common choice :/ I find Food Supply hardest, the questions are very broad and could cover any part of the specification. You really have to know your stuff to get good marks
    It bugs me a little how they literally only test a few words from the specification when you have to learn all of it but, hey, what can you do? :L xD
    I think the 15 markers will be Rivers: Engineering, Coasts: Coastal Features/ Coastal Erosion, Population: prayingitllbeDTM but I think settlements and Food: geopolitics and distribution/ schemes to increase production
    Good Luck everyone !

ReputationRep:
    Berms are the ridges you see at high tide marks, cusps are crescent shaped indentations you get during backwash - nobody really knows how they are formed
    If you've got the CGP book, it's mentioned in there on page 23

Berms are ridges of sand and pebbles found at high tide marks, they're formed by deposition of coarse material at the limit of the swash.

Runnels are grooves in the sand running parallel to the shore. They're formed by backwash draining to the sea

Cusps are cresent-shapes indentations that form on beaches of mixed sand and shingle. It's not know exactly how they form, but they develop in areas where waves break parallel to the beach and where there's large tidal rang ( difference in height between high and low tides)
    Thank you both! Helped a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Tomorrow after college I'm gonna be so nervous, hope Tuesday goes great for everyone, good luck to any of you that have exams tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just been looking through fifteen markers and there are so many that I couldn't approach I'm getting really tired now, so it looks like I'm going to have to skip double Psychology tomorrow and power-revise in the library argh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewCeremony)
    Just been looking through fifteen markers and there are so many that I couldn't approach I'm getting really tired now, so it looks like I'm going to have to skip double Psychology tomorrow and power-revise in the library argh
    Fortunately I have a double free last so I'm gonna go home and do geog all night haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Fortunately I have a double free last so I'm gonna go home and do geog all night haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Whole college is off tomorrow afternoon because so many people have exams .
    Then triple lesson before exam tomorrow morning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piillow)
    Hey, I'm doing my Geog 1 exam this Tuesday, first time
    I'm doing the topics Rivers, Coasts, Population and Food Supply. Is anyone else doing Food Supply? How are you finding it? It doesn't seem like a common choice :/ I find Food Supply hardest, the questions are very broad and could cover any part of the specification. You really have to know your stuff to get good marks
    It bugs me a little how they literally only test a few words from the specification when you have to learn all of it but, hey, what can you do? :L xD
    I think the 15 markers will be Rivers: Engineering, Coasts: Coastal Features/ Coastal Erosion, Population: prayingitllbeDTM but I think settlements and Food: geopolitics and distribution/ schemes to increase production
    Good Luck everyone !

What you mean by settlements for rivers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have the Jan 13 mark scheme...

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.