The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 1 May 14th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Original post by amyb96
yeah that would definitely be a good 15 marker! it's definitely my weakest area, which case studies have you done?

We did...

Mini Case studies to support all the renewable energy stuff,
Geopolitics - Russia/Ukraine, Falklands, Azeri Pipeline
TNC - BP, then we did about the Deepwater Horizon BP oil spill,
Sustainable energy - appropriate technology (clay stoves in mountainous regions)
Sustainable transport - London congestion charge + mini ones
Sustainable Workplaces - Google and San Francisco Museum of natural history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 681
Original post by mahatma ghandi
In the past they've asked for case studies on hard and soft river engineering, which isn't on the spec

Flood management strategies is on the spec....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 682
Original post by homefind
We did...

Mini Case studies to support all the renewable energy stuff,
Geopolitics - Russia/Ukraine, Falklands, Azeri Pipeline
TNC - BP, then we did about the Deepwater Horizon BP oil spill,
Sustainable energy - appropriate technology (clay stoves in mountainous regions)
Sustainable transport - London congestion charge + mini ones
Sustainable Workplaces - Google and San Francisco Museum of natural history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thankyou, mine sound pretty similar except i don't think we did a geopolitics one? and we did chad and norway for how energy is managed
Reply 683
Original post by amyb96
thankyou, mine sound pretty similar except i don't think we did a geopolitics one? and we did chad and norway for how energy is managed

Oh yeah forgot them two lol! Ye we learnt the geopolitics ones mainly for extra info in the 15 markers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 684
could anyone do me an absolutely massive favour and tell me the case studies they have done for rivers, coasts and population. i have the main ones but i was wondering if there are any little ones which i can use to back up my points in the lower mark questions and has anyone gone in to lots of detail about the optimists and pesimists for population, thanks
Reply 685
Original post by homefind
Oh yeah forgot them two lol! Ye we learnt the geopolitics ones mainly for extra info in the 15 markers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah okay, i'm getting quite nervous now hope it goes well for you tomorrow
Original post by Beni24
If anyones doing Rivers, coasts, population and health? What do you guys predict will come up as the 15 markers?:smile:

My predictions:
Rivers: Hard engineering, maybe something about braiding or potholes or causes of flooding.

Coasts: Weathering, beaches, maybe salt marshes (yet to teach myself this, the teacher left it out :frown:)

Population: Evaluating the DTM, migration, youthful populations or population management

Health: Regional variations in the UK, contrasting healthcare approaches and maybe an infectious disease or famine (really hope it's famine) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 687
Original post by amyb96
ah okay, i'm getting quite nervous now hope it goes well for you tomorrow

Same here! Thank you, hope it goes well for you too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 688
Original post by NewCeremony
My predictions:
Rivers: Hard engineering, maybe something about braiding or potholes or causes of flooding.

Coasts: Weathering, beaches, maybe salt marshes (yet to teach myself this, the teacher left it out :frown:)

Population: Evaluating the DTM, migration, youthful populations or population management

Health: Regional variations in the UK, contrasting healthcare approaches and maybe an infectious disease or famine (really hope it's famine) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They would be nice, although i don't do health. Surely they wouldn't ask about salt marshes on a 15 marker? It should be probably linked in with the formation of a spit question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone wanna test each other on skype? I do rivers, cold environments, population and food and could do with some help on rivers or cold environments if possible
In the past they've asked for case studies on hard and soft river engineering, which isn't on the spec

They have only asked about hard engineering and soft engineering and to discuss the advantages and disadvantages never specifically case studies, you just need to refer to them to get into Level 3
Original post by lucasluke
They have only asked about hard engineering and soft engineering and to discuss the advantages and disadvantages never specifically case studies, you just need to refer to them to get into Level 3

yeah, so basically what your saying is without the case studies you can't get full marks, this is exactly my point. On the spec it doesn't say we need case studies on hard and soft engineering, however as you have just said to get full marks you do need the case studies. Hence the spec is wrong
yeah, so basically what your saying is without the case studies you can't get full marks, this is exactly my point. On the spec it doesn't say we need case studies on hard and soft engineering, however as you have just said to get full marks you do need the case studies. Hence the spec is wrong

your expected to know case studies for everything pretty much
Original post by SimpleTom
You are a don, I'll upload some too :biggrin:

All 13-15 marks.

All I ask for is a few thumbs up, tell me what topics you guys are doing and Ill see if I can lend a hand with some more notes.

Are all of those questions past paper questions? Because they don't repeat themselves :frown:
btw +1 rep :biggrin:
Reply 694
Original post by lucasluke
your expected to know case studies for everything pretty much

So is there is a chance they could ask you responses to floods which require a case study? Do we need to know the responses to a flood?
Reply 695
Panic!!! The club of Rome model for population please can someone explain it to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 696
Original post by Jaydude
So is there is a chance they could ask you responses to floods which require a case study? Do we need to know the responses to a flood?

The responses to a flood should have been covered in the case study you learnt - causes/impacts/responses etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaydude

I doubt it, spec says 2 case studies of recent flooding events with causes and impacts. But still learn them thought good for a conclusion

Original post by amyb96
could anyone do me an absolutely massive favour and tell me the case studies they have done for rivers, coasts and population. i have the main ones but i was wondering if there are any little ones which i can use to back up my points in the lower mark questions and has anyone gone in to lots of detail about the optimists and pesimists for population, thanks

Rivers - waterfalls, look up high force teesside its largest in UK.

PREDICTIONS for 15 markers:
Rivers - Hard and Soft engineering adv/disadv.
Deserts - Desertification or wind landforms.
Population - Settlement case studies, regional variations.
Health - Infectious disease full case study or famine.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 698
Original post by fs1205
Panic!!! The club of Rome model for population please can someone explain it to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahhh do we have to know this! :eek:
Reply 699
Original post by fs1205

Posted from TSR Mobile

They were formed to consider possible solutions to global issues such as- environmental pollution, north/south divide etc... They said that at present growth rates of pop growth, industrialisation, food output, pollution and resource depletion growth on the planet will be reached within 100 years.

So then they said we could change this by - pop policies, recycle, switch capital investment from industry to services and agriculture etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending