The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 1 May 14th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by hassanakhtaruk
I don't know why but for population I have a feeling we are going to have a 15 marker on healthcare approaches eg:
Using case studies, explain and describe the effectiveness of population policies in increasing AND decreasing a population of an area (15 marks)

So I would use china one child policy (to decrease a population) and France ( increase population)

It has never come up as a 15 marker and there has never been a question demanding both increase and decrease population policies ...what do u all think?

My teacher said the same thing, however she thinks they will ask us about china, not both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 741
I don't know why but for population I have a feeling we are going to have a 15 marker on healthcare approaches eg:
Using case studies, explain and describe the effectiveness of population policies in increasing AND decreasing a population of an area (15 marks)

So I would use china one child policy (to decrease a population) and France ( increase population)

It has never come up as a 15 marker and there has never been a question demanding both increase and decrease population policies ...what do u all think?

There has only been a 7 mark question on the sustainability of the China one child policy (I think) so it is possible! I don't know anything about how a country increases the population of an area :frown: is it just increasing maternity leave and child benefits, that sort of thing?!
Reply 742
Could anyone doing France as a pro natalist policy sum up the key points such as effectiveness, problems etc.
Original post by Mathsz0r
Dam (really bad Geography pun), I forgot to do that. I've gotten in the habit of doing that with Economics so hopefully I remember to do so in Geography. Thanks for your help

Np

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 744
Original post by jess2703
There has only been a 7 mark question on the sustainability of the China one child policy (I think) so it is possible! I don't know anything about how a country increases the population of an area :frown: is it just increasing maternity leave and child benefits, that sort of thing?!

We didn't learn about how a country increases pop :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 745
Original post by homefind

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Increase immigration of working age.
2. Benefits etc to those who have children and allow parents time of work without affecting pension.
3. Raising retirement age.
Reply 746
Original post by homefind

Posted from TSR Mobile

We didn't either :/ hopefully it won't come up! I'm hoping for a nice migration question!
France's policy:

The French government has tried to increase family size in order to prevent the ageing population that they face. They have done this by:
1. Dramatically increasing tax deductions to families with multiple children.
2. They have also encouraged services to offer discounts to families; for example, the French rail service offers 40% off ticket prices to families with children below 18.
3. Day care is also provided for children up to the age of 4 to allow mothers to work.

The policies have been hugely successful and France has the second highest birth rate in Europe of 1.94 TFR. The government has enforced paid maternity leave to mothers and has written laws on part time work for mothers; making it more available.
Reply 748
Is there a case study for causes of flooding??
Original post by becky96
Is there a case study for causes of flooding??

No case study as such but you must know case studies for LEDC and MEDC so we looked at Carlisle and Bangladesh. Inbox me and i can give you much more detail

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 750
Just came across a famine case study question for health.. Is that even in the spec, haven't got any work for it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 751
Original post by AndyBoughton
No case study as such but you must know case studies for LEDC and MEDC so we looked at Carlisle and Bangladesh. Inbox me and i can give you much more detail

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, it's okay I've got those case studies..

Does a shingle beach protect a coast more than sand?
Original post by jess2703

For increasing a population , talk about France ..it's called the 'code de la Famile'
Couples paid for having more children, get 30% reduction on all public transport, school paid for, free holiday discounts, more weeks off work, maternity leave longer, paternity leave is longer, £1064 to couples having their 3rd child. Fertility rate has increased from 1.67 in 1992 to 1.98 today . Why increase the population? Because of ageing population. Less economical active people to support elderly so increase in economic production stress so increase in tax. 21% of France is over the age of 60 and it is expected to be 1/3 of France over 60 by 2050
If this policy ails, possible bankruptcy
Immigrants are constantly moving in
Migration rate is increasing
Immigrants tend to be young so good for population ..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 753
I am so nervous for this exam tomorrow. I do rivers, coasts, population and health as my units. I am finding it really hard to put down all hard/soft engineering strategies in one answers and relate them to case studies! Can anyone give any advice on how to answer a 15 marker on this because I really think that's going to come up.

As for the other coast study questions:
For coasts, I think coastal flooding eg the 1953 Storm Surge because that hasn't come up in FOREVER
For population, I think population management strategies so I've got China nailed
And for health, I think it's going to be regional variations and/or health provisions in a certain area!

Good luck everyone for their exams tomorrow!!
Help on migration...do we talk about Poland to uk? If so what do we write?! What can they ask on migration and immigration? Urgh!
Omg I hope we get a 15 marker on flooding in Bangladesh ...also want a 15 marker on HIV/aids for health issues section...and a decent formation question for cold environments! Ah, the perfect paper...omg image if waterfalls and potholes come up...*dreams*
Hope famine doesn't show up!
Help on migration...do we talk about Poland to uk? If so what do we write?! What can they ask on migration and immigration? Urgh!

At 9:40 i will post Poland to UK migration with effects/costs to both countries socially, economically and environmentally

Posted from TSR Mobile
FOR ANYONE DOING COLD ENVIRONMENTS:
I have a feeling that we will NOT get a 15 marker on the Antarctica and tundra stuff...as it already came up in the latest paper in January 2013... Maybe a landforms questions? Oh and patterned ground has NEVER come up so get learning both ice wedge polygons and stone polygons!!!
Original post by AndyBoughton
At 9:40 i will post Poland to UK migration with effects/costs to both countries socially, economically and environmentally

Posted from TSR Mobile

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending